Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Clicking noise A/C switch behind cluster

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 01:48 AM
Forza_Roma

You don't need to take the whole dash out. There are 3 or 4 actuators and it depends which actuator is bad. I had to remove the glove box to reach the faulty actuator. I don't remember which one was bad anymore... I think it was this one:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...049&cc=1431309

And it was very difficult to replace it. You need to lie on the back, get your head behind the dash and you need to put your legs somewhere... out of the car or over the seat (very annoying position).

It depends which ventilation position you lost with bad actuator. I lost floor ventilation and it's so annoying to replace the actuator, that I would never do it again. It's much easier to only disconnect the wire on the actuator so there is no annoying clicking noise anymore (it's broken plastic gear wheel that is causing the noise inside of actuator). But as I said before... it depends which ventilation position you lost... for me it's imporant only to have windshield (defrost ventilation).
Old 11-06-2014, 02:31 PM
contec

What did you remove to get too the actuator? I had to replace two actuators next to the glove box. Had to remove glove box and airbag. If airbag isn't removed. It will make it to hard too install. Just wanted to let you know.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:36 PM
contec

How did you get to the actuator behind the gauge cluster?
Old 11-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Redfire6er
1st Gear Member

Me, I'm bringing mine to the dealership. Mine has been doing this for 3-4 months now, and it's the one behind the cluster (drivers side) I reached up and felt my way around under the steering column very awkward to get at. I'll just pay to have it done. I figure $200.00-$300.00 for the stealership to handle this.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:32 PM
steven566

Default Having AC door door issues

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I appreciate all of the great info here!

I have a 2009 GT Convertible that has some sort of actuator door problem as described by the others above. My issue is that it doesn't click anymore, and I didn't identify which actuator was the issue in time.

These are the symptoms:

1) The a/c system is working, but cold air is not making it out of the vents. This is the main problem.
2) I can adjust the temperature from hot to cold, though cold isn't cold. It seems as cold as the temperature would get without a/c to cool it down. I'm in Arizona, so even during the winter, the car gets pretty warm while sitting outside at work.
3) I can switch between the various positions with no issues (floor, vent, combined, etc. I rarely use defrost, but I believe that is working, as well.)

Another thing that may help is:

What used to happen is that the a/c would run (compressor on, lines cooling, etc.) but the air coming out of the vent was warm. Then, when I shut the car off and began to investigate the engine, and then turned the car back on, the a/c would then be blowing cold.

I'm thinking this must be due to the homing routine that the vent doors go through when the car is started. This procedure doesn't work anymore, which is probably why I don't hear the clicking noise anymore.

I'm still don't know which actuator controls the door to the a/c evaporator. Is it that the hot cold blend door is not making its full travel and staying biased toward the warm side, or is there a door just for the path that blows air part the evaporator. Or something else?

Is this enough info for someone to identify which actuator is broken and what part number I should get?

Thanks for the help!

BTW, this is the only issue that I've had with my mustang besides the door panel covering issue and for some reason I keep losing tread on the back tires ;D

Steve