Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Need recommendations and opinions on headers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 05:45 PM
10silverstang
1st Gear Member

Default Need recommendations and opinions on headers!

Hey what's up everyone? I'm looking into the possibility of buying headers for my mustang. I'm thinking of getting them from American Muscle since they are reasonable and have low prices. But my question is, can someone give me some input on which ones I should get? Which will give me the most bang for my buck? Let me know what you guys have. I just want some honest opinions on the subject please. Also, if there is a cheaper website that is well respected like American Muscle then let me know as well. But, I'm looking to staying faithful to AM since they're who I always purchase from.

Here is my vehicle info : 2010 Mustang v6 with Ford Racing True Dual Exhaust conversion kit, and also I have the JLT Cold Air Intake with SF3 Tuner.

Please let me know guys and girls, thanks it is much appreciated
Old 03-21-2012, 08:02 PM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

Uhhh...maybe try in the tech section instead of appearance? On a side note, if you're in California don't even think about getting long tubes unless you never plan on passing emissions.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:11 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Plus they just make the car noisy. The performance boost isn't worth the bother.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:06 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Since you're in Cali, your only choice would be JBA Cat4ward shorty headers, they're the only 50 state legal ones. And AM has the lowest price on them so you can stay faithful lol.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:58 AM
10silverstang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5spdftw
Uhhh...maybe try in the tech section instead of appearance? On a side note, if you're in California don't even think about getting long tubes unless you never plan on passing emissions.

Thank you for the info, I had no idea I wouldn't be able to pass emissions with long tubes here in Cali.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:59 AM
10silverstang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
Plus they just make the car noisy. The performance boost isn't worth the bother.
Noisy in what way? Annoying? Even with a tune it wouldn't be worth it? I'm asking because I do have a tuner and was planning on tuning the headers as well.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:02 AM
10silverstang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Antonio323
Since you're in Cali, your only choice would be JBA Cat4ward shorty headers, they're the only 50 state legal ones. And AM has the lowest price on them so you can stay faithful lol.
lol...thank you for that info, yes I'm all for staying faithful to the law lol...

Sounds good, thanks, I'll definitely look into those headers.

Do you know anyone that has them? Any complaints? Do you know the gains from these specific headers?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 AM
JimC

I see you have a 2010 - so that means the 4.0 V6 still. Don't get the long tubes. The 4.0 sounds terrible with no cats or gutted cats (everyone I know who did it regretted it) - so you get a bad sound plus no performance gain.

Even the shorties are minimal for performance gain, you get a deeper tone to the exhaust note.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:59 PM
10silverstang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
I see you have a 2010 - so that means the 4.0 V6 still. Don't get the long tubes. The 4.0 sounds terrible with no cats or gutted cats (everyone I know who did it regretted it) - so you get a bad sound plus no performance gain.

Even the shorties are minimal for performance gain, you get a deeper tone to the exhaust note.
Wow, I had no idea about headers at all that's why I came on here to ask you guys and girls about them. I knew I would get the information on needed on here. That's why I love this forum. I definitely won't get the long tubes then. Man, but now that you're telling me even the shorties are minimal seems to me like it's not even worth the money at all. Deeper tone would be cool, but without a performance gain it doesn't seem worth it to me now.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10silverstang
lol...thank you for that info, yes I'm all for staying faithful to the law lol...

Sounds good, thanks, I'll definitely look into those headers.

Do you know anyone that has them? Any complaints? Do you know the gains from these specific headers?
No prob! No, I don't know anyone who has them and I don't really know what gains to expect. Sorry that I can't help you there. Many claim that performance gains are minimal. I don't have headers on mine, but I'm gonna get those later on just to improve the exhaust sound some more.

Quick Reply: Need recommendations and opinions on headers!