Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

06 V6 auto Stang rocks forward when accelerating

Old 03-27-2012, 01:10 AM
sephex

Default 06 V6 auto Stang rocks forward when accelerating

Hey gang,

Acquired a 2006 V6 auto Mustang almost a year ago, Not too many complaints yet. However one thing that has been bothering me lately, and has happened since I bought the car used in April 2011: When I am fully stopped and when I accelerate too heavy and fast on the peddle, the car will rock forward as if I had been rear ended. I'm trying to figure out if this is normal for his car. I did some research last night, and found people on other sites with similar problems... that the car might need a new fuel filter, spark plugs etc. I entered a chat room late last night and I asked for help with this situation, they asked me tons of questions and one of them determined it was a torque conversion issue. I have learned to live with driving the car like this, however, it's kind of annoying when I'm fully stopped and having to turn onto a street, and having to go pretty slow, this is sort of a problem if traffic is heading in my direction! If anyone can pin point the problem and give me a rough estimate on repairs (I'm in BC, Canada) it would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2012, 04:49 PM
amustangrocks
2nd Gear Member

that does not sound normal if the drivability is really bad. it should not hesitate when trying to takeoff whether fast or slow. with the factory set up, there was a little hesitation putting the pedal to the floor, but not much. ive had a custom tune for 4 yrs so its hard to remember. you didnt say how many miles it has, or anything about routine maint. i got mine used, first thing i did was everything maint. havent skipped a beat for 60k now, and the car has 101,000

if the engine is bogging down bad, it should throw a code with the engine light, but maybe not. it very well could be fuel filter, and/or throttle body is really dirty. it could be a host of other stuff. i replace fuel filters about 25-30k miles, 30-40k on spark plugs, 50k on plug wires, air filter often just to keep it always clean, and cleaning the throttle body is very important. you can choose your own maint schedule.

it could also be your trans low on fluid and slipping. is there any noises? does it feel like the car is dragging when you let off the gas going slow? like maybe a wheel bearing?

you would have to really explain the condition well, and rule out certain things to guess at a idea for a fix.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:49 AM
sephex

You'll have to excuse me when I say with this, but I'm not really into sinking money into this car, I have have had 2 oil changes, and put a K&N air filter in, that's it. I also recently got the dreaded passenger floor leak fixed, surprisingly only cost me $150, I had no problem paying for that, they seemed to do an excellent job at body shiop.. Back to the issue: the car, is _almost_ at 80,000 KMs (I'm in Canada hence the Kilometers). I'm thinking that is around 50k miles? If the tax returns are good to me I'll be sure to take it in for a tune up, however, I dont know the best place around here to do it, and will definitely mention the s-plugs and fuel filter.. The car doesnt seem to make any noise when it rocks, however I do have my music turned up quite loud usually <grin>.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:47 AM
sephex

Update: It seems to me it actually only "rocks forward" then the car is in motion and I let the peddle out a bit then push it back in. Still annoying, do others have this problem?