Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

What CAI to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:29 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

If you are tight on cash, you can always buy the Airaid CAI and save up for the tuner. That's what I did!
In reference to the Airaid CAI without a tune, you will only feel minimal performance gain in the higher RPM range (4-6 HP). I never experienced any codes issues or running lean with my Airaid CAI w/out the custom tune. Once you upload the custom tunes, you will feel a noticeable performance gain, which really wakes up the Stang!!!
Good luck!

Last edited by kevinmalec; 08-23-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:42 PM
cslix
1st Gear Member

I appreciate all the responses.. I am probably going to buy this basic intake

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...take-2005.html

And down the road save up for a tuner..

Another question i had was when you tune your car do you need to put better gas in it? or can you still run regular? what do the tunes exactly do?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:58 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cslix
I appreciate all the responses.. I am probably going to buy this basic intake

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...take-2005.html

And down the road save up for a tuner..

Another question i had was when you tune your car do you need to put better gas in it? or can you still run regular? what do the tunes exactly do?
Keep in mind, I read some of the reviews and several people experienced running lean and error codes arising. If this is the case, you will need to remove the CAI and wait until you have a custom tune and then reinstall. If you decide on the 3 custom tune, you will need to make sure your GAS is equal or higher than the custom tune. Example: If you uploaded a 91 custom tune, you are required to use 91 or higher octane. If you have an 87 custom tune, you can use 87, 91 and 93 octane and will not cause any issues.
Does this help?

Last edited by kevinmalec; 08-24-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:15 PM
cslix
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
Keep in mind, I read some of the reviews and several people experienced running lean and error codes arising. If this is the case, you will need to remove the CAI and wait until you have a custom tune and then reinstall. If you decide on the 3 custom tune, you will need to make sure your GAS is equal or higher than the custom tune. Example: If you uploaded a 91 custom tune, you are required to use 91 or higher octane. If you have an 87 custom tune, you can use 87, 91 and 93 octane and will not cause any issues.
Does this help?
yes.. 87 is regular? so when i tell them what cai i bought i can have them tune it for 87? also do you think if i get this cheapy intake it will work fine with the tuner or you think its a lot better to get the afraid.. because 350 vs 80 is a big difference to a young kid..
Old 08-24-2012, 03:34 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

The primary power boost comes from the tune, not the CAI. Use the money and buy a tuner, you can always get another tune in the future for future mods for free if you buy a tuner with free life tunes. The CAI yeilds very little gains for the cost. The tuner should generate a nice little load of power by eliminating the overly rich tune Ford puts on these cars.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:36 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

The tunes increase timing (often by around 2 or 3 degrees) and lean/richen fuel loads are certain RPMs to increase HP. Basically they don't make any more power per say, they make your engine run more efficiently therfore producing more horse power out of that engine. They can also be used to twink transmission settings (auto) to make the car perform more aggressively and eliminate some of the lag autos have.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:57 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

One that requires a tune to operate.
Read THIS....

+1 on the AiRaid with the MVT tube.
Leave it in for no-tune operation
and remove it later for operation with a tune...
Best of both worlds.
Stay away from the BBK and the SR...
Old 08-24-2012, 04:00 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cslix
yes.. 87 is regular? so when i tell them what cai i bought i can have them tune it for 87? also do you think if i get this cheapy intake it will work fine with the tuner or you think its a lot better to get the afraid.. because 350 vs 80 is a big difference to a young kid..
Yes, 87 is regular gas. When you order the custom tunes from AM, you will be able to select 3 custom tunes. You choose the octane that is available in your area. Example, I have the following custom tunes: 87, 89, 93

I can choose which tune to use, according to the octane I have in my car. The higher octane, the more aggressive the tune will be.

The intake should work fine, with a custom tune. However, without the custom tune, you may run lean and your car will run bad.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:26 PM
cslix
1st Gear Member

appreciate all the information and advice.. i think i need to save up before i can think about either to get the tuner first or the CAI.. i guess this tuner doesn't make your car very gas efficient?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:17 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

It will actually improve MPG as they generally reduce the fuel your car is taking in. Ford has the worst tendency to run their cars extremely rich for safety concerns. The ideal air to fuel ratio is 12.8 - 13.2. Most 05+ Mustangs run 11 or lower air to fuel ratios. What does that mean? Imagine taking $1 bills and just lighting them on fire for no reason what so ever. That's basically what it does over time. You're burning more fuel than really needed because Ford didn't want to risk the cars ever running lean under loads.

Tuners, with proper tuning, will bring the air/fuel ratios back into perspective which will reduce fuel waste improving MPG and performance at the same time. In a nut shell it's a win win. One of the only mods you'll ever do that improves performance and MPG.

Quick Reply: What CAI to buy?