Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 10-22-2015, 03:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

check fuel cap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 11:31 PM
09blackmamba
1st Gear Member

Default check fuel cap?

So my car keeps telling me to "check my fuel cap," and yes, I checked it. And its fine. Any suggestions?
Old 09-25-2012, 02:11 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Get the DTC from the local autozone/pep boys. It's an EVAP system issue, if it's just the gas cap light, it's usually right, so you either didn't secure it right and now it's storing that code, or the cap is defective and needs to be replaced. Have 'em clear the code after reading it, see if it comes back after properly securing the cap. Hell, while you're there, splurge the $15 for another one.

Likely this one:
P0457 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (Fuel Cap Loose/Off)
A fuel tank pressure change less than a minus (-) 7 inches of water in 30 seconds has occurred after refueling; or there is excessive purge, fuel vapor, flow greater than 0.06 lb/min (0.45 gm/s).

Check for a missing fuel filler cap or the integrity of the cap. If OK, clear continuous
memory DTCs and reinitiate the EVAP emission running loss monitor drive cycle.

Last edited by wayne613; 09-25-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:47 PM
09blackmamba
1st Gear Member

thats the code I got when I checked with my sct tuner, just wasn't sure if it would be a sensor or if a new cap would do it
Old 09-25-2012, 03:59 PM
XGC JACOBS

like he said, clear the code and wait for it to come back. If it does, replace your gas cap and clear it again. If it comes back, you've got further issues.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:53 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by XGC JACOBS
like he said, clear the code and wait for it to come back. If it does, replace your gas cap and clear it again. If it comes back, you've got further issues.
Happened to me once. Cleared the code and it never came back. It happens.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It's possible that the cap's gasket didn't seat just right and once the code comes in it stays in until it's cleared. Clear it and don't give it another thought unless it comes in again.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:18 PM
09blackmamba
1st Gear Member

Ok thanks guys I cleared it. Will just wait til I fill up again.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

I just got this message...checked, reset it on the dash, and it comes back on...will clear it with my reader tonight and see what happens.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Happster26

Same here. Gas cap is fine. 1998 GT with a 2001 Cobra drivetrain and electrical. Was able to use the old fuel tank when doing the conversion in 2005 and no problems with the check gas cap light until now. Recently replaced the fuel pump with a high volume pump, took some dings out of the tank, painted it, replaced the filler neck seal. I did bend a plastic hose to some external emissions-looking gadget when installing...rests on the top front driver's side of tank and has a few hoses coming out of it. But it doesn't look split. Rubber hose adjacent the filler neck looks a little tired. Maybe I'm answering my own questions. But is there any way to pressure check the tank or otheriwse pinpoint the leak so I don't have to just start replacing stuff?
Old 06-02-2013, 08:00 PM
calebf91

Im having the same issue on my 2006 Mustang GT. The Check Fuel Cap light came on so i went to orileys and bought a new gas cap and had them reset the code. a day later, the light had come on again, so i took it to a mechanic here in Springfield MO. They put ANOTHER new fuel cap on it and reset the code. I told them that I already did that and that the light came on again. . . So, they ran some more tests on the car all to find out that my car thinks that it has an emissions leak, but it doesn't. They told me just to drive it, that its not hurting anything. I don't have a problem driving it the way it is but its really annoying looking down and seeing Check Fuel Cap all of the time. They said that they don't know what exactly is wrong and that the only way to find out would be to take the fuel tank out and start looking, but labor will be a TON . . . does anyone have any suggestions?

Quick Reply: check fuel cap?