Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

extra horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 08:27 PM
mustangwooley
1st Gear Member

Default extra horsepower

I have a 06 v6 mustang with a BAMA tuner, jlt intake, and a flowmaster 40 series exhaust. I wanna add more horsepower and i dont have the money to afford the insurance on a gt. So any ideas how to add more horse power?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Not really a HP adder but have you thought about installing gears (410's, 373's)?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:33 PM
The01Cav
2nd Gear Member

Gears, supercharger or turbo.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:31 AM
mustangwooley
1st Gear Member

wats the difference in 410 and 373 gears? and do thy make a turbo for a v6? i thought a supercharger is more common for mustangs then turbos
Old 10-10-2012, 07:47 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangwooley
wats the difference in 410 and 373 gears? and do thy make a turbo for a v6? i thought a supercharger is more common for mustangs then turbos
They seem to be (Turbos over SC's that is on Stangs) - I posed this question once, and can't say I really got a descriptive answer honestly.

I think the true answer, is because there are so many aftermarket bolt-on SC's 'made' already, with not many pre-packaged turbo kits out there. Makes for easier install.

The old argument used to be - SC's make power more linear (from low RPM to high) but that's not really the case any more with newer turbo packages and if it's built properly.

SC's are also generally 'safer' with (as I said) more linear power available across the band for a low PSI compared to Turbos.

To answer your original question; Gears, and a FI selection of your choice.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 AM
mustangwooley
1st Gear Member

wat gears? and wats FI?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:45 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

wat gears? and wats FI?
mustangwooley,

If this is your daily driver I would stick with 3.73's. They'll have a nice punch for acceleration and not be annoying on the highway when you want to cruise. Another good differential upgrade is an Auburn limited slip upgrade. This will allow you to put power to the ground evenly with both tires, which is important especially if you buy a supercharger.

As for a supercharger, you could go a few different routes. One of my personal favorites for 05-10 4.0's is the Xcharger! Having instant torque with a v6 is huge for street driving, plus it's one of the more affordable blowers on the market. Bama also only offers supercharged tunes for 05-10 v6 Mustangs with the Xcharger, any other blower will require a custom dyno tune.

Keep these things in mind when you're purchasing upgrades. If you have any questions or need something clarified just let me know!

Shane
Old 10-10-2012, 03:34 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

If you want gears and some type of power adder you'll need a bigger rear axle, or yours will bust.

I'm most likely going to go the turbo route. They're a bit cheaper, and I won't have to worry about snapping my axle since all the power will be at the high end.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

wat gears? and wats FI?
Really?
Old 10-11-2012, 07:35 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

wat gears? and wats FI?

As said previous you're fine with 3.73's, I wouldn't do 4.10's unless you're seriously into the 1/4 and make runs often (And are looking to get that extra .1-.3 out of things). Nothing wrong with 4.10s - just plan to always be spinning at a higher RPM while on the move, and get lower gas mileage.

FI is Forced Induction. SuperChargers and Turbos are both examples of FI. Forced induction is the process of delivering compressed air to the intake of an internal combustion engine. A forced induction engine uses a gas compressor to increase the pressure, temperature and density of the air. An engine without forced induction is considered a naturally aspirated engine. (NA)

A turbocharger is a centrifugal compressor driven by the flow of exhaust gasses. Superchargers can be found as different types of compressors but are all powered directly by the rotation of the engine, usually through a belt drive.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: extra horsepower