Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 10-23-2015, 01:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Radiator Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 01:43 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yumazona
Hey Scotty104, I am seeing the exact same leak. It is dripping from a bolt with a heater cable bracket on it. Noticed it after replacing the water pump. Did you find the problem? The bolt is attached to what looks like the engine mount and the bracket is holding the heater hose that comes off the water pump. I have checked to see if it is runoff from some other place and the answer is no. I have been searching this forum for hours until I found your Q and it looks incomplete. Everybody is hung up on the thermostat housing.
Well, the fact is, MOST of the time it is the thermostat housing. And water pumps are other likely suspects. But of course those are not the only possible source of a leak. You just have to find where it is coming from..could be a hose, could be the heated throttle body if on a '05, could be water pump... You my have to fill it up with water and run it to see where water is coming from. I've encountered many leaky hoses that leak under pressure when the engine is running, but at no other times.

Check above that bolt, the lines/hoses on the side of the engine, and yes, closely at the thermostat housing and temp sensor in the top of the housing.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:24 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I replaced out the thermostat housing a year ago and is working fine. However, I now have a external head gasket leak, which is slowly leaking coolant onto my garage floor. Due to being external, the engine is not in jeopardy. I'm not worried about it, just the coolant leaking out and the smell is annoying. :/

Last edited by kevinmalec; 07-14-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:02 PM
yumazona

Update: Well everybody was hung up on the thermostat housing for good reason. That was my problem but I was too stubborn to believe it until I could see it. By looking for leaks with engine running and under pressure was deceiving on where the source was. Finally I got a radiator pressure tool on loan from AutoZone and with pressure built up with engine NOT running I was able to get into a position where I could first hear an air leak then finally see water bubbling out of a crack in the housing. Sure enough it was there but was not visible when pressure was released. Even once removed it looked good. Replaced it and resolved my problem. Air pressure also revealed a few hose leaks that were resolved with a few turns of the clamp screw or replacing factory clamp with a screw on clamp. I sure do appreciate everybody's help and suggestions on this site.
Thanks one and all!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:46 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Good to hear it was an easy and inexpensive solution!
Old 07-14-2014, 11:27 AM
hunter226

Unhappy My 2009 overheats

I have a 2009 Ford Mustang base model. We've changed the thermostat, thermostat housing, temperature sensor, the water pump is good, new battery....stillll overheats. I was told it could be a clogged heater core, CCRM, head gasket (blown), or intake manifold. I cannot afford to get all these parts replaced. Is there anyone that's had this problem? It has 88,000 miles on it.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:25 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I replaced out my thermostat housing/sensor and no leaks.

I have an external head gasket leak. It just leaks into the "V" of the engine and then eventually drips out onto the ground. Fortunately, I don't have any issues with overheating.

When you replaced the thermostat housing, did you flush out all of the coolant and then run water through?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

Glad you got it fixed, Yumazona. There are just some things that are so prevalent with these vehicles that we can't help pointing them out. Nine times out of ten the source of a coolant leak is the housing.

Last edited by Bitter; 07-15-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:01 PM
MrHall2015

Default THE LEAKING BOLT FROM HELL

Hey guys, great forum. My heater stopped getting warm a few weeks ago, I noticed the reservoir was low, added water, heater worked again, but the reservoir was back down in a few days. I read about the crappy plastic thermo housing, but couldn't see a leak anywhere & no drops in the driveway. Today, I FILLED The reservoir to the cold line, started the engin, almost immediately, it was dripping pretty fast underneath. I grabbed a jacked it up a bit, & grabbed a flashlight just to trace the drips directly to the same bolt from hell & did not see anything above it. Can anyone confirm that it IS indeed the crappy plastic thermo housing, even if it looks like the damn bolt!
Attached Thumbnails Radiator Leak-stillleaky.jpg  
Old 01-06-2015, 09:04 PM
JimC

It's hard to tell where that bolt is with that picture being a close up. Is it the alternator bracket? Looks like an engine mount maybe?

But water will run so more than likely it is the thermostat and it is simply running to the lowest spot to drip. You can see evidence of water flowing that way.

The thermostat housing usually splits on the back side. What does it look like around the thermostat housing?

Name:  DSC03325.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  71.4 KB

Name:  DSC03324.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  DSC03322.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  45.0 KB
Old 01-07-2015, 05:53 AM
MrHall2015

Yeah, sorry the pic is so close up. Its exactly like Yumazona stated "The bolt is attached to what looks like the engine mount and the bracket is holding the heater hose that comes off the water pump" crazy