Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Axle-Back Exhaust burnt bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 12:17 PM
CygonX

Default Axle-Back Exhaust burnt bumper

I recently bought an SLP Axle-Back Power-Flo from AmericanMuscle.com for my 2007 v6 mustang, however when we were installing it, it became really dark out. By the time we finished, we didn't realize it but we had installed the tip of the muffler behind the bumper, the next day when we went to check it out, it had melted part of the bumper off because of my drive home that night.

I cleaned it up mostly, but I did have to cut off the burnt plastic and it does look a bit off right now, the paint has cracked a tiny bit on the bumper above the cutout that ford itself designed for the bumper and it has been looking better, but it still needs something to cover it. I asked the boys at AmericanMuscle and they sadly don't have anything for a V6.

I tried to get a trim that would go around it but the melting point was 94 degrees and that didn't really seem feasible for what temperatures the exhaust would reach. I have bought the satin silver touch up paint from my ford dealership and I'm just debating on what to do.

Any help would be much appreciated.

~Thanks
Old 03-22-2013, 01:18 PM
CygonX

I apologize for a double post but I didn't know how to edit my previous one, here's a picture of what happened.
All I wanted to say is that take into account that I moved the tip for the picture, it isn't aligned.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:49 PM
JRichard

I had the same issue wen I replaced my stock muffler with a new axleback High Performance muffler. I too am interested in any replies.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:34 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CygonX
I recently bought an SLP Axle-Back Power-Flo from AmericanMuscle.com for my 2007 v6 mustang, however when we were installing it, it became really dark out. By the time we finished, we didn't realize it but we had installed the tip of the muffler behind the bumper, the next day when we went to check it out, it had melted part of the bumper off because of my drive home that night.

I cleaned it up mostly, but I did have to cut off the burnt plastic and it does look a bit off right now, the paint has cracked a tiny bit on the bumper above the cutout that ford itself designed for the bumper and it has been looking better, but it still needs something to cover it. I asked the boys at AmericanMuscle and they sadly don't have anything for a V6.

I tried to get a trim that would go around it but the melting point was 94 degrees and that didn't really seem feasible for what temperatures the exhaust would reach. I have bought the satin silver touch up paint from my ford dealership and I'm just debating on what to do.

Any help would be much appreciated.

~Thanks
I'm sorry to hear about your bumper! I wish there was more I could do for you, however my Customer Service team was correct, we don't really have anything for the V6.

I wish there was more I could do to help. Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance!

-Dan
Old 03-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Arkansas V6

Thats a tough one, If i were in that situation (and if it was a small burn) ((i cant see the picture you posted either)) i would cut a half circle out of the bumper including the burned portion and put a bigger exhaust tip on. i would only do that for a small burn. If it is too big to be done like this then all i can think of would be a new bumper
Old 03-26-2013, 01:22 AM
CygonX

Originally Posted by Arkansas V6
Thats a tough one, If i were in that situation (and if it was a small burn) ((i cant see the picture you posted either)) i would cut a half circle out of the bumper including the burned portion and put a bigger exhaust tip on. i would only do that for a small burn. If it is too big to be done like this then all i can think of would be a new bumper
I forgot to clarify I guess, I apologize. In that picture, I have cut out the burnt part, but the cutout from the factory reached high temperatures of course from the burn, and cracked part of the paint and I don't want it to spread further and bubble that's why I was looking for a trim to go on it.

I had an idea of taking it to a body shop and having them dremel it and make it smooth, and then I could put touch up on after.

What's your opinion on that?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Arkansas V6

You could do that but I have experienced with the touch up paint repairing knicks and chips its a permanent fix but it is very hard to make it look clean. On my torch red 08 you couldn't tell that knicks and chips were painted with touch up but if it caught your eye its definatly noticable. You probably wont get a very clean result. But you might have a better result that I did hah! The only real solution to make an unnoticeable repair would be to get you bumper repainted which might be a little extreme just to hid the cracked portion but thats all i can think of for a clean repair. Just depends on how much coin you want to throw at it lol.