Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Has anyone gone and supercharged their 4.0?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:48 AM
RJDavis413
1st Gear Member

Default Has anyone gone and supercharged their 4.0?

I've been looking into supercharging my 2006 4.0 pony, and I'm just wondering if anyone has done this and used which brand. Or if going turbo would be the better option? Open to all opinions and all advice is well taken. Thank you
Old 04-12-2013, 08:48 PM
JimC

Yes.
What are you planning to do with the car? That will answer a lot of what is better for your use. There is no "this one is the best" answer.

I had the Xcharger Xtreme on my 2006. I loved it - great low end torque and power and the scream when at WOT was great. At the track though the Vortech and turbo guys could run me down by the top of the 1/4 mile because I was maxed out by that time and they were building power. On the expressway though I wanted that instant torque and power to make quick lane changes when the far left lane would stop dead (never can figure out why that happens, no exits on that side) and I needed to go from 2 mph to 65-70 right away.

As far as power adders available - there is the Xcharger (only roots style for the 4.0), then the centrifugals Vortech, Procharger and one other that I can't think of right now. Powerhouse makes a great turbo that is proven on the 4.0.

Last edited by JimC; 04-12-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:09 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

ProCharger here. Really happy with it.

Check out my thread for some good info:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/pipe...r-project.html
Old 04-13-2013, 10:51 AM
RJDavis413
1st Gear Member

I'm mainly just looking to make my car quicker and more fun for cruisin' around town (and a little bit quicker track time of course), and kzonts, i read your thread and it seems like your procharger took a while to get it right. I don't have places like that to dyno and tune around my area haha.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:46 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

You can always get a CAI and tune.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:32 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

I'd be interested, too. Seems like 150hp extra just seems so necessary! I wish there was a cheaper way to get superchargers
Old 04-14-2013, 02:46 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RJDavis413
I'm mainly just looking to make my car quicker and more fun for cruisin' around town (and a little bit quicker track time of course), and kzonts, i read your thread and it seems like your procharger took a while to get it right. I don't have places like that to dyno and tune around my area haha.
I don't mean to steer you in a different direction here (I completely understand your decision and respect it) but from what you describe as your daily needs, I would suggest you try out the basic boltons of intake/tune and some steeper gears (maybe 3.73s with an 8.8" rear end). Not really the power numbers you are looking for but you would have immensely more "down low" power, and the car would launch stronger from stop to stop in town without having to spend the big bucks to go FI.

Just throwing a thought out there.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:40 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

I've worked my 4.0 from stock through modified n/a through vortech supercharger with increasing boost levels.
If you just want a 'feel' of more power, gears and cai/tune are a good way to get it. You'll get a little power increase from the tune, and pick up a couple tenths with a gear change.

For hp to money, you cant beat the results of a supercharger or turbo. You dont need a local dyno, either; my 4.0 was remote-tuned by VMP. The car was a totally different animal!!!

One other option to at least consider: switch to a V8, either a GT or a V8 swap.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:55 AM
pedalhappy
1st Gear Member

I have a 2007 with exhaust and all bolt ons really. Stage 2 procharger @12psi and I hit 305 rwhp and 310rwtq. It is definatly the best band for the buck. On top of that you could spend another 2500 and have a head/cam swap and put down over 400rwhp. The 4.0 is a very easily modded motor and has alot of potential. I was going to try and hit over 600rwhp on mine but I am about to buy a 94 gt with a built motor.
That being said I have put suspension, wheels, clutch and many other mods on my 6er and it is a boss. when you go FI suspension is a must so you can actually hit the ground with all that power
Old 04-17-2013, 09:34 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
I've worked my 4.0 from stock through modified n/a through vortech supercharger with increasing boost levels.
If you just want a 'feel' of more power, gears and cai/tune are a good way to get it. You'll get a little power increase from the tune, and pick up a couple tenths with a gear change.

For hp to money, you cant beat the results of a supercharger or turbo. You dont need a local dyno, either; my 4.0 was remote-tuned by VMP. The car was a totally different animal!!!

One other option to at least consider: switch to a V8, either a GT or a V8 swap.
+1 on VMP, although mine was dyno tuned I did initially order a Vortech tune from Justin.

Quick Reply: Has anyone gone and supercharged their 4.0?