Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion > 4.0L V6 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-24-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
FordFan24

Vehicle: None yet
Default Optimal shift point?

I have a 2007 mustang v6 which I love, but I normally shift up every 10 MPH so my tachometer is always running at or below 2,000 RPM.

My tachometer says 7,000 RPM and my gauges show up to 120MPH so my question is what is my optimal shift point on the tachometer for a 2007 4.0? I normally stay in 1st until 20 MPH, 2nd until 30 MPH, 3rd until 40 MPH, 4th until 50 MPH, and 5th on 60-70 MPH.

Thanks guy, I'm very curious of where the optimum shift point is in relation to the tachometer and speeds.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
FordFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

It all depends on about a dozen factors. There's no black and white answer to that question. Even if I'm driving lazy granny style, my shift points will depend on if I'm on level ground, going up hill or going downhill. And if I'm the only person in the car with no other load to speak of. But in general, as long as I'm not going to hold up traffic and I'm trying to watch my fuel mileage (as silly as that sounds, driving a Stang), I'll typically shift my 4.6L around 2k RPM. But there are those times when I should have shifted before hitting my 6500 RPM rev limiter setting...
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang
TorchVert

What Nuke says is true. There really isn't a "perfect" shift point. It depends heavily on road/environment conditions, and what your shifting goals are. The shift points if you're trying to squeeze maximum fuel economy out, will be much different than say a full bore drag strip run.

In general, for economy you want to shift at the lowest RPM that will provide a smooth transition to the lower end of the power band in the next gear, without dropping the RPMs so low that the engine is lugging (struggling to produce power due to too low an RPM)

For performance you want to keep the engine in the strong part of the power band constantly if possible, so you'll generally be shifting at higher RPMs so the the next gear will be more in the center of the maximum power production for the engine.

2005 Mustang 4.0L V6 'Vert
X-Charger Xtreme S/N 004 * 328 rwhp/ 339 rwtq
First X-Charged manual * First X-Charged 'vert * First X-Charger Xtreme manual
MF Ride of the Month: July 2011

Massachusetts Regional Chapter Forum
Torch_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008, Ford, Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan24 View Post
I have a 2007 mustang v6 which I love, but I normally shift up every 10 MPH so my tachometer is always running at or below 2,000 RPM.

My tachometer says 7,000 RPM and my gauges show up to 120MPH so my question is what is my optimal shift point on the tachometer for a 2007 4.0? I normally stay in 1st until 20 MPH, 2nd until 30 MPH, 3rd until 40 MPH, 4th until 50 MPH, and 5th on 60-70 MPH.

Thanks guy, I'm very curious of where the optimum shift point is in relation to the tachometer and speeds.
i shift at those same points for the most part when ever im driving conservatively on surface streets. although my rpm's are probably higher because of my gears. also i dont drive too conservatively anymore since i dont daily drive the car lol

Black 2008 V6 with Pony Package and Interior Upgrade
Sequential Tail Lights
Blackout Tint on all lights
8000K HID's from retrosolutions
Magnaflow True Duals
C&L CAI with Bamachips 93 Torque Tune
2010 Black Shelby GT500 w/ Nitto 555's
Koni Yellows and Steeda Sports
204 RWHP
tigercrazy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:07 PM
MustangForums