Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Manual Transmission Cooler & A/C Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 04:06 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Default Manual Transmission Cooler & A/C Questions

Hey, here again hoping I can get some help/suggestions on a couple of things. Summer weather has finally arrived here in MA, it's been around 100 and humid the last few days and I have noticed a few things I am hoping to improve upon.

1) My manual transmission has been sticking in gear and becoming hard to shift, I plan on doing another tranny flush (royal purple), but I was wondering if there was maybe an additive, tranny cooler, or something available to help my tranny running cool and smooth in abusive conditions.

2) A/C Needed a recharge, I used a full can of A/C Pro (19oz), the pressure on the gauge read about 80-85 degrees when it was about 100 outside when I performed the recharge. Followed directions as stated, get in the car and it is cooler, but I was honestly expecting more. I need cold A/C, black on black with leather is all I need to say. Do you think a complete recharge is all I need? Just want to get an opinion because at $39 a bottle it certainly seems like a good idea. I saw that the lines to/from the compressor were sweating pretty badly, will more of insulation tape help keep the system cooler?

Thanks to all in advance!
Old 06-01-2013, 04:39 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

I used royal purple MAX ATF, maybe thats why my tranmission runs hot in extreme temperatures. Hopefully using the synchromax will make a big difference in temperature capabilities/performance..
Old 06-02-2013, 03:08 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

With the a/c running, what's the suction-side pressure?

I've never heard of a manual trans cooler.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:55 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
With the a/c running, what's the suction-side pressure?

I've never heard of a manual trans cooler.
The gauge on the bottle measured 30-35psi before charge..which from my recent "studies" would indicate a "good" reading, right? If so.. I definitely overcharged the system.. gonna have to remedy that. Given that the compressor runs and the accumulator (and the lines in between) are sweating profusely I would assume that those are running correctly.. What about everything else in between? Any good troubleshooting methods?

My A/C is currently semi-cool.. its better in cooler weather/shaded areas. I was thinking air/moisture, but if there was a leak wouldn't the pressure have been far below the 30-35psi? If all of what I said checks out and makes sense.. what the hell could it be? Wish I could just turn the **** more lol
Old 06-04-2013, 09:04 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

The T5 is known for being a crappy transmission... I think really all you can do for it is change the fluid.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:46 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
The T5 is known for being a crappy transmission... I think really all you can do for it is change the fluid.
Yea I know.. I eventually want to hook the Tr6060 up to it
Old 06-05-2013, 02:57 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Pretty sure my a/c had a bit of moisture in the system.. let out some of the pressure and system got a lot cooler. Im going to buy a vacuum at harbor freight, suck out the old crap, put new stuff in.. I put some pipe insulation on the cool lines and that seemed to help a bit as well.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:41 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Over the years, I experienced issues of hard shifting. Then one day, I had issues getting my shifter into ANY gear, plus I had a (2 inch) dead spot at the top of clutch. It was so bad, I had to jam it into every gear and could barely drive it to the shop. It turns out my throwout bearing/slave cylinder went out. I ended up replacing out the whole clutch assembly, in exception to the master cylinder.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
Over the years, I experienced issues of hard shifting. Then one day, I had issues getting my shifter into ANY gear, plus I had a (2 inch) dead spot at the top of clutch. It was so bad, I had to jam it into every gear and could barely drive it to the shop. It turns out my throwout bearing/slave cylinder went out. I ended up replacing out the whole clutch assembly, in exception to the master cylinder.
Good point Kevin it could be that.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

The T5 has, in my mind, an undeserved bad reputation, at least for the V6. Are there better Tremecs? Sure there are. You probably wouldn't want a T5 in a V8 and you will probably appreciate an upgrade in a V6, but at what cost? Unless your T5 has serious issues, you might want to try draining and refilling it with Amsoil. If that doesn't resolve your problems, it will have been a small cost to salvage it with what is, in my opinion, the best fluid for it.

Last edited by Bitter; 06-11-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Cooler & A/C Questions