Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Manual Transmission Cooler & A/C Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

+1 to what Kevin and Bitter both said. The gear jamming issue was definitely the throwout bearing / slave cylinder on mine. Once replaced... and with Mobil1 synthetic fluid in the trans it was like a COMPLETELY different animal! Seriously.... the trans was orders of magnitude better.

Add to that, shortening the height of the stock shifter by changing the ****... basically shortening the throw as well, another massive improvement. Positive shifting with the T5 is not at all beyond reach with a little effort.

When I hear Ford moved to Getrag for the new 'Stangs.... I pretty much figured I would never trade mine in as my experience withe Getrag (German for GARBAGE, methinks) is not at all good.

Should you upgrade the trans? I would first try the things recommended. If your'e still compelled... I suppose you could go for it. I wouldn't bother unless I was upgrading to an X-charger or something.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:18 AM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
Over the years, I experienced issues of hard shifting. Then one day, I had issues getting my shifter into ANY gear, plus I had a (2 inch) dead spot at the top of clutch. It was so bad, I had to jam it into every gear and could barely drive it to the shop. It turns out my throwout bearing/slave cylinder went out. I ended up replacing out the whole clutch assembly, in exception to the master cylinder.
This sounds like it could be the same issue im having.. there are times i really need to force it into gear.. did yours become harder to shift in humid and hot weather? Below a certain temperature/humidity level it shifts smooth as glass. I was recently looking at throwout bearing forums due to a squeaking noise when i engage the cluth.. its a light squeak now but im sure it can/will get worse
Old 06-23-2013, 11:13 AM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bitter
The T5 has, in my mind, an undeserved bad reputation, at least for the V6. Are there better Tremecs? Sure there are. You probably wouldn't want a T5 in a V8 and you will probably appreciate an upgrade in a V6, but at what cost? Unless your T5 has serious issues, you might want to try draining and refilling it with Amsoil. If that doesn't resolve your problems, it will have been a small cost to salvage it with what is, in my opinion, the best fluid for it.
Ideally by next summer I want the TR6060 along with GT rear end and driveshaft. I am seriously considering a 5.4 swap eventually.. I think thats the only way all these upgrades would ever be worth it.. To get the 4.0 to 500HP would cost atleast 7K (just engine upgrades).. I think for thesame money or less I could throw in a 5.4. This would all be done over time, of course. I have no plans on getting rid of this car, if I can I will keep it forever. Lol