Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Using Dynamat Extreme

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:30 PM
ejones

Default Using Dynamat Extreme

I have a 06 v6 pony 5 spd manual with a dual exhaust and a CAI. I would like to make it a little quieter inside the cabin so that I can listen to the radio or talk with a passenger. I heard that the dynamat extreme would help. I was thinking about installing it in the trunk on the floor and wheel wells. That seems pretty easy to do. Has anyone done that & had a success with quieting down the mufflers inside the cabin? They seem to get crazy loud around 2000 rpm. Is it enough to do the trunk? Does one have to use the dynamat under the interior rugs to be effective? That seems like a lot of work to remove the seats. How about the door panels? Do they need to be lined? That also seems like a lot of work. Anybody's experience with this project would be appreciated
Old 06-19-2013, 12:34 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ejones
I have a 06 v6 pony 5 spd manual with a dual exhaust and a CAI. I would like to make it a little quieter inside the cabin so that I can listen to the radio or talk with a passenger. I heard that the dynamat extreme would help. I was thinking about installing it in the trunk on the floor and wheel wells. That seems pretty easy to do. Has anyone done that & had a success with quieting down the mufflers inside the cabin? They seem to get crazy loud around 2000 rpm. Is it enough to do the trunk? Does one have to use the dynamat under the interior rugs to be effective? That seems like a lot of work to remove the seats. How about the door panels? Do they need to be lined? That also seems like a lot of work. Anybody's experience with this project would be appreciated
I was researching this recently and discovered that Dynamat is not particularly effective or practical for sound deadening. I always thought it was but actually it is best for killing vibrations, i.e. sheet metal resonance. You may need/want to add some Dynamat but to quiet the exhaust noise, road noise, etc, you need to add an effective sound barrier which MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) is designed to do. Check out the technical details for MLV, details on Dynamat and others related products at sounddeadenershowdown.com. Read the whole home page and you'll be much better informed on what's available and what the products do.
I just installed some MLV the other day and it worked very well. I needed to block out my aftermarket transmission gear whine. I only bought the a minimum 13.5sq/ft (just under $50 shipped) and was able to cover the transmission tunnel and the flat of the driver's front floor. Before the MLV I could hear a loud nasty whine in gears 1- 3 with 4 & 5 loud but more liveable. Now, I don't hear any whine at all in 4th & 5th gears and 1-3 are a lot more tolerable. I'm going to purchase some more to do the complete cabin floor including under the back seat and I should be happy.
Keep in mind the more area you cover the quieter it will be. In our cars the mufflers are way back under the trunk so that's where you should start laying down the MLV.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:15 PM
ejones

Thank you for your reply. Will doing the trunk with the MLV reduce the majority of the muffler noise inside the cabin?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:24 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

I think you'll have to try it and let us know.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Lee Yoder

***BUMP***
Any updates on this? How much extra weight did it add?

Later,
Old 02-16-2014, 02:29 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

I put dynamat under the rear seats and over and into the trunk. Used 5-6 sheets. It helped quite a bit.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:10 PM
ejones

So, I finally got around to installing my dynamat extreme into the trunk area of my stang. I covered the floor area and the wheel well area. I used (2) xtreme door kits which were cheaper than the trunk kit. It is the same stuff and covers as much area as I wanted in the trunk. The materials cost me about $100 and it took me about 3.5 hours. The job is relatively easy and the results are noticeable. I started from the middle and worked my way out to the sides. I can hear the radio from the back speakers better when I play the radio even at lower volumes. I can carry on a conversation at highway speed. I would recommend this to anyone trying to tone down the vibrations coming from the trunk area. I would attach pictures, but I couldn't figure out how to get them from my SD card to this site.