Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Problem shifting into gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:37 PM
Mintz1024

Default Problem shifting into gears

Hey guys, I have a 2005 mustang V6 manual.Last couple days its been very difficult getting it to shift into first gear, soetimes it doesn't want to go into second or third either. I bought this car brand new so I'm the only one that's owned and I don't drive it hard. Took it to a p and the guy told me probly the tranny but hes lied to me before about have to replace things on my car that didn't need to be. Hoping its something simple. Has anyone here had this issue?
Old 06-26-2013, 12:05 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

How many miles on it? First thing to do is change the trans fluid and use a synthetic ATF. Amsoil has the gotten the best reputation/results, then Royal Purple followed by Mobile 1. That should help a lot. Also, try pumping the clutch a couple times before shifting, if that helps then the slave cylinder may be going.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Mintz1024

Originally Posted by jimkaray
How many miles on it? First thing to do is change the trans fluid and use a synthetic ATF. Amsoil has the gotten the best reputation/results, then Royal Purple followed by Mobile 1. That should help a lot. Also, try pumping the clutch a couple times before shifting, if that helps then the slave cylinder may be going.
Its got a little over 100,000 miles on it. Just changed the brake fluid, which has seemed to help but its still a little stubborn going into first not the same as it used to be. I will try changing the trans fluid thanks for your input!
Old 06-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Why would a brake fluid change have any impact on the tranny???
Old 06-27-2013, 08:06 PM
Mintz1024

Originally Posted by Nuke
Idk just what was suggested to me so we tried it.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

Three quarts of Amsoil will cost you just under $35 (excluding shipping). It's the best in my opinion. If that doesn't smooth it out, you won't be out-of-pocket much and you'll know if your problem is more than you can deal with yourself.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:03 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by Nuke
Doesn't the clutch use the brake fluid system? I don't have a stick, but I recall others saying that the brake and clutch systems use the same reservoir.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:35 AM
Mintz1024

@ Bitter how do you change the transmission fluid, or is this something we should take into a shop?
@ JimC yes they are the same reservoir
Old 06-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

There are two plugs on the right side of the transmission, an upper and a lower. You may need to raise the car to get under it but you're going to have to do that all around as you want it level. Remove both plugs. They have a square indentation that a 3/8 socket wrench will fit into (you may need a short extension). Once it's completely drained, replace the lower plug and fill through the upper hole using a fluids pump you can buy at most auto parts stores. It's a two man job unless you want to risk spilling the containers and pumping while holding the hose in the fill opening. Once it starts coming back out (just under 3 qts.), let it drip until it stops then replace the plug.

I've heard conflicting advise as to whether the level should be at the bottom of the plug or 1/4" below so others may want to offer their advise. I've filled it level with no adverse results.

Search around. Somewhere I saw someone post a tutorial on filling it by gravity by removing the shifter boot and filling it from inside the car.

Despite how involved this sounds, it really is quite easy and doesn't take much time.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Mintz1024

OK good to know I will relay the message thank you! Kinda sucks cause now some plastic piece broke off when I pushed in the clutch. I believe its what connects the clutch pedal to the clutch cylinder? Idk can't drive it at all now hoping I don't have to replace the whole clutch just for the one little piece especially if I don't need a new clutch. Ugh love my car but its falling apart on me and its only barely eight yeas old!

Quick Reply: Problem shifting into gears