Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Question About BBK CAI

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 06:09 PM
IamNobody

Default Question About BBK CAI

I have a 2007 v6 and just purchased the BBK CAI and Diablosport tuner combo from AM. I installed the CAI and then loaded my custom tune. It ran fine for a few miles and then threw a P0701 and P0704 code which is system too lean. I immediately contacted AM and they told me that even though the BBK CAI is a no tune needed CAI that there are a few cars that do need the CAI tuned. So they re-did my custom tune to include the CAI. Since then I have had no more codes thrown.

So my question is since my tune does include the CAI does this change my CAI to a tune required CAI and am I getting more performance from it since it is now tuned? (say that 5 times real fast! LOL! ). I know the CAI doesn't really add much but I am just curious is all.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If the AM tune originally didn't include the CAI, then yes, your new tune which includes the parameters for the CAI will yield a bit more power. On the 4.0L, a no-tune required CAI may gain you about 3-4 RWHP. A stand-alone tune will yield you about 10-15 RWHP. The CAI & tune will gain you about 15-20 RWHP. I'd say that even though you ran the no-CAI tune with the CAI, you probably gained a few RWHP with the new tune.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:52 PM
IamNobody

Thanks Nuke. Yes the first tune from AM did not include the CAI which caused the CEL for too lean. Then AM re wrote the tune (2nd tune) which did include the CAI to fix the too lean issue causing the CEL. Thanks again...I was just wondering since I've read so many posts about tune required vs non tune required CAI's. Also I feel a little better cause I was a bit bummed that I might have spent almost $200 for a CAI that was cosmetic only.

Last edited by IamNobody; 07-09-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:16 PM
congpert2

Everything is going to be all right now.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 PM
IamNobody

Originally Posted by congpert2
Everything is going to be all right now.

Guess they are talking to themselves...and I thought I was the crazy one.

Guess they are a bit confused as well cause they are on a Mustang forum when they drive a Volvo.

Last edited by IamNobody; 07-09-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:35 AM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

I have the BBK CAI as well, the first year.. 6-8 month I had no issues with the CEL. with no tune. But soon after I got the CEL and couldnt get it to clear for long I got an sxt2 tuner and got a custom tune for it. My understanding is that my tune basically turns off the O2 sensors that were giving me the code. I went for the 87 octane tune for gas mileage. like you I only get the BBK CAI because of the look for shows, increased performance even though it was probably small was just a side benifit.
I was even told after I bought it even though it was supposed to be a "no tune" CAI that the increased air flow will probably cause it to lean and get a CEL. So it would have been very likely that even without your tune you might have gotten the CEL.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:46 PM
IamNobody

Originally Posted by chrisdbassplayer
I have the BBK CAI as well, the first year.. 6-8 month I had no issues with the CEL. with no tune. But soon after I got the CEL and couldnt get it to clear for long I got an sxt2 tuner and got a custom tune for it. My understanding is that my tune basically turns off the O2 sensors that were giving me the code. I went for the 87 octane tune for gas mileage. like you I only get the BBK CAI because of the look for shows, increased performance even though it was probably small was just a side benifit.
I was even told after I bought it even though it was supposed to be a "no tune" CAI that the increased air flow will probably cause it to lean and get a CEL. So it would have been very likely that even without your tune you might have gotten the CEL.
I bought the CAI/Tuner combo strictly for performance. I don't enter my car in shows and the only time I open the hood is for maintenance so how it looks doesn't matter. I thought that since AM was selling the two as a combo that it was for performance. So when I read that it was for cosmetic mainly I was a little upset. But now that AM has included it in my custom tune I feel better because I am getting what I originally wanted even if it isn't providing as large a gain as some of the other combos they sell. As far as turning off the O2 sensors I believe that is only with the 91 octane tune but I still got the CEL when I ran the 91 octane tune provided by Diablosport. Since AM re wrote all three of my custom tunes I can run the 91 race tune, 87 performance tune or the 87 street tune without throwing a CEL. IDK maybe what AM did was turn off the O2's for all three but I doubt it.

And yes I most likely would have gotten CEL with the stock tune as well because according to AM my car is one of the few that actually needs a tune for the CAI even though it is a non tune CAI and will work just fine without one in most cases.

Last edited by IamNobody; 07-14-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:25 PM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

sorry miss read that, thought you said you bought it for cosmetic, but thats cool I think performance is great also. glad everything has worked out for you.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:18 PM
IamNobody

Originally Posted by chrisdbassplayer
sorry miss read that, thought you said you bought it for cosmetic, but thats cool I think performance is great also. glad everything has worked out for you.
No problem . Hey congrats on all those awards you have.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:37 PM
IvanRad
2nd Gear Member

its definately not that bad of a cai i have it and as long as you clean it and install it properly it should be just as good as any cai. Most of the others produce about 3-5 more hp big woop. my vmptune yielded a ton more power night and day change. dont let others convince you its cosmetic.. buy a tune from vmp and yours set.