Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

06 Mustang 4.0 V6 Didnt Start This Morning....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 11:16 AM
GTOGreg

Default 06 Mustang 4.0 V6 Didnt Start This Morning....

Hello All,

I am new to the forum, I just signed up today. I have been poking around a bit but looking for information regarding any known starting issues for the 06 4.0L V6 Mustang. I have not found anything, so I guess it is time to ask. But before I do, I first wanted to say hello and take a moment to introduce myself.

My name is GTOGreg, this is because my name is Greg, and I used to have a 1971 Pontiac GTO. My GTO had a 455 cid, with an automatic transmission, but what made it really nice was the factory power windows, power driver seat, air conditioning, and cruise control, which was pretty rare for a 71. Anyway, the GTO was my daily driver for 10 plus years. I loved the car but had to sell it a few years back, but the "GTO" nickname stuck.

Since then, I have had several economy type cars, and no frills rides, but really wanted a newer muscle car. So I started putting a little money aside and keeping an eye out for the right car. Last week, the stars aligned, and I found an 06 Mustang, checked my finances, and pulled the trigger.

So, down to business..... I have been driving the car for about a week now with no issues, in fact I have been loving it!! However, when I went to leave for work this morning, got in the car, pushed in the clutch, turned the key, and got a "clicking" sound, and no "vroom". I popped the hood, checked the battery terminals for corrosion, battery cables for tightness, and all looked good. There were no warnings or indications when I parked the car last night, so I am a bit concerned.

Time was running short, so I left it, and borrowed the girlfriends Nissan Versa, and went to work. I am new to the car but I suspect that the battery is the culprit, but before I start pulling parts off the car, I thought it might be a good idea to check for any known "problems".
Old 07-26-2013, 11:31 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Sounds like your basic dead battery to me. You'll need to reset the one touch window function after the battery dies. There is a simple specific sequence to reset the control module which we can address once you get to the bottom of the no start issue.

The 71 GTO is beauty. I'm a Ford fan for life but Pontiac has always had the best styling & design group of the modern big 3 manufactures IMO. Good luck with the new car!
Old 07-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If either the battery or alternator are stock, then you should have both load tested. The stock charging system in these S197's is marginal. There is a chronic issue with the OE alternators and the Motocraft battery is known to be garbage.

Quite often, an OE alternator will degrade but not fail and the battery eventually fails from lack of proper charging.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Do the headlight light up? Does the radio turn on? If yes you may have a bad starter.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

You live in AZ, you got a clicking sound....dead battery. AZ summers eat batteries for breakfast.

Don't bother getting an expensive battery if you live in Phoenix valley. You will need a new battery about every two or three years regardless.

I found the Autozone duralast batteries are good because they will replace it within two or three years (depending on red top or gold top) if it dies during that initial period. After that it is prorated like any other battery.

All of our 5 cars (mine, my wifes, and our kids cars) go through a battery every couple of years. Usually around this time is when they crap out. Mine just went out last month as a matter of fact.

Last edited by Derf00; 07-26-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
Do the headlight light up? Does the radio turn on? If yes you may have a bad starter.
That won't matter. It is possible to have a battery that is fine under light loads but when hit with the load required to start the car will go flat (bad cell).

When mine went bad, everything electrical worked fine. Only when I tried to crank it did it have issues and freak out the gauges etc. I have seen a boat load of combinations that all point to the same thing..bad battery.

OP take the battery out and have it bench tested somewhere if you are in doubt or drive the car to an Autozone.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:02 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your Mustang!
When my last battery died, it made the loud clicking noise. I've had to replace out my battery a couple of times, since owning it close to 6 years. Disconnect the battery and take it to Advanced Autos, Pep Boys, Autozone or O'reilley's and get the battery tested.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 07-26-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:56 PM
GTOGreg

Thanks all, I appreciate all of the input.

Just to close the loop.... it turned out to be a bad battery. Took the battery to Auto zone and had it tested, and replaced it.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:00 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Wink Good to hear. Easy fix.

Originally Posted by GTOGreg

Just to close the loop.... it turned out to be a bad battery. Took the battery to Auto zone and had it tested, and replaced it.
Good to hear. Easy fix.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Andrew Christian
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTOGreg

I will say that Mustangs are notorious to kill the alternator when the battery goes out. If you find your new battery dying again, your alt is the culprit. Just had to do it to mine this past year.

Quick Reply: 06 Mustang 4.0 V6 Didnt Start This Morning....