Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

VERY rough ride. Is it normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 10:49 PM
STSGuy

Question VERY rough ride. Is it normal?

I have an '07 V6 Automatic PP Coupe that I bought earlier this year (I'm the 2nd owner). It has ~105,000 KM on it (about 60K miles).

While the car itself is in perfect condition, everything works fantastically, the ride is so awful that I feel like when I go over a bump or turn into a driveway that the entire car is going to break into pieces. It's all over the place, bounces up and down, I have to hold on to the steering wheel with both hands otherwise the car would go in I don't know which direction.

I know this is a RWD car and that it's known that the rear will not always follow the front, but this is scary. Been this way since day 1 and I'm wondering, is this 'normal' for a Mustang, and if not, what potentially could be the cause of the issue?

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:50 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

normal.
the technology on these cars is 1960's

i drive many cars and vans in my job..the mustang handles and drives like a sack of $****e compaired to say a bmw..
they are crude cheaply made cars in a pretty frock..

the rear axle is a joke tbh..
the new stang is gonna be the muts nuts though i rekon.
p's u rekon your coupe handles like crap?
go drive a vert lol..dangerous in fact...
without doubt the worst handling car i have EVER driven..so bad i had to sell it
Old 09-08-2013, 07:16 AM
STSGuy

Rudolph, sounds like you LOVE your Mustang! LOL LOL LOL FWIW, I never would expect a Mustang to drive like a BMW. LOL

Seriously though, does anyone else agree with him? Is there any point in having suspension checked? How about 'softer' tires like Michelins, for example? I hate the way it drives and will lose a lot of $$ if I have to sell it now.

Last edited by STSGuy; 09-08-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:35 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

20 inch wheels destroy the ride for one..
18 max i rekon.

my company nissan van handles better then me gt...
Old 09-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

Notwithstanding Rudolph's opinion, mine is that it is not normal. I don't have those issues with my '06. While I'll grant you that the front suspension is stiff, it was designed that way to accommodate how Ford anticipated Mustang owners would drive a front heavy car with a low clearance. Owning a '68 coupe myself, I can tell you that the S197's are clearly nowhere close to 1960's technology.

You obviously have some front suspension issues that need to be looked at.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:17 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I would check into suspension issues like mentioned, don't listed to the jackass with the inferiority complex in this thread. The car shouldn't feel like its going to fall apart.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:57 AM
steev
2nd Gear Member

No, it shouldn't feel that way, even with the Top Gear derived opinion that an SRA is inferior. It may be for getting the power down on bumpy roads and harder turns, but you shouldn't be feeling like it is bumping around all over the place.

First does it have the stock wheels/tires? Next up, it could be that your shocks and springs are bad. I know that the regular V6 didn't come with a rear sway bar, if yours doesn't have one, that may help.

Mine is at just under 90,000 miles, and it could probably do with new shocks and struts.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Dencon
1st Gear Member

Struts I would say.
I am just starting to notice this in mine very slightly.
(110K miles) When you take your old ones off and see that you can compress them down and they do not come back up. Then try to do it with the new set. You will get why it feels like a train wreck when you hit that bump going into your driveway. Like I said, I just started noticing it today going over a few speed bumps. "Struts time" I figured. but what you need to do to start with is to have a front end shop that knows what they are doing and you can trust (hard to find these days, good thing for me I use to be one and have my own alignment machine)to give your front end a good inspection.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:41 AM
STSGuy

Thanks guys, I was hoping that Rudolph's answer wasn't correct and that he's just a disgruntled owner for whatever reason. Question: since I am not mechanically inclined whatsoever, is this something that any mechanic, Ford- or non-Ford can diagnose and fix, or should I bring it to dealership only? If it turns out that it's a struts/shocks issue, how much can I expect to have to pay? Reason I'm asking: I won the ford.ca $500 gift card earlier this year (YAY!) and it's good for any service/accessory, etc. and I'm wondering if it would cover diagnosis and new parts and labor, or can I expect to pay thousands? I also have the ESP Premium (best, most expensive) from Ford, is the suspension covered (I don't have the contract with me at the moment)? This is really scary to tell you the truth. If I didn't love the rest of the car, I wouldn't be so upset.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:07 AM
STSGuy

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
20 inch wheels destroy the ride for one..
18 max i rekon.

my company nissan van handles better then me gt...
No I have the 17" Pony Package rims/wheels.

Last edited by STSGuy; 09-14-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Quick Reply: VERY rough ride. Is it normal?