Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion > 4.0L V6 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 10-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
mustangcr8z

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang
Default anti freeze under intake

Got an 05 xcharged 4.0, got antifreeze under intake in valley, looks like it might be coming from thermastat housing around gasket! Has anyone heard of problems in this area, I know my wifes focus had flaws in her thermo housing and it cracked and had to be replaced, has anyone heard of any bulletins on thermastat housing or gasket or any other leaking problem in this area, thnx in advance! No intercooler.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
#76 XCharger Hi-Po, jba hdrs,demon coil,MSD wires,Mag Flow duals w/pypes X pipe, ShaftMasters alum DS,CHE K mem brace w/ trq lmtrs & DS loop, Roush strut brace,Moroso alum exp tank,P steer resv,fuse box cover & M. cylinder cvr,GT brakes w/ P. slot rtrs,Xenon front fascia,billet caps,hurst shrt throw, UPI Lca's & UCA, GT rear sway bar,carbon fiber Interior,custom paint, painted mirrors, plx a/f gauge, roush vent pod
mustangcr8z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
stoneblue
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 ford mustang

I have a 06 4.0 it's not xcharged ,but at 80k the thermostat housing just split at the seems. Check ebay for the aluminum casting just came out last month.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic from didg camra.jpg (41.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg thermosat.jpg (26.6 KB, 7 views)
Pony pg. Int. Upgrade
Roush louvers
stoneblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
JimC

Vehicle: 2013 MCA convertible

Very common problem - the split is usually at the back of the housing and sprays into the valley.

With the Xcharger though it is a little more complicated, at least with the Xtreme and I think that the non-intercooled model has the same issue. One bolt is covered by the blower and so you have to remove the Xcharger to get to that bolt.

Even if you could find a way to loosen that bolt, with the length of it you can't get it out from under the blower lower intake, and if you could you can't get the housing out because there isn't enough room to pull it up straight as required.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Vehicle: 06

Yep. Things like intakes and related, shouldn't be made out of plastic.
Same goes for refrigerator door handles, lol.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Chronic issue with the 4.0. Welcome to the world of the S197.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang

Yep, I had the dreaded thermostat housing leak and fixed it a couple of months ago.
The plastic thermostat housing expands when hot and distorts, hence causing it to leak.
As stoneblue mentioned above, check out eBay for an aluminum thermostat housing, which was recently released to the public.
Good luck!

- 2005, 4.0 - Missing 2 cylinders :-/
- SCT Xcal3 w/ Brenspeed Custom Tunes
- Airaid CAI
- Pypes Streetpro Exhaust
- AM Front Chin Spoiler
- AM Quarter window louvers
- SHR honeycomb decklid panel
- Cobra R wheels
- Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
- Billet Honeycomb Chrome Front Grille Overlay
- Smoked tail lights & turn signals, Mustang 3rd brake light decal
- Raxiom sequential tail light kit

Last edited by kevinmalec; 10-07-2013 at 09:18 AM.
kevinmalec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
2005Stang

I replaced mine at 110,000 miles. Couldn't find the aluminum one 3 yrs ago. Might pick one up for a spare.
2005Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
ashraf-alsawadeh

Vehicle: 2005 ford mustang

I replaced mine a month agon , paid 70 dollars comes with thermostat , still leaking from the upper cover around the o ring sealer , soon going with the aluminum one , bad engineering ford
ashraf-alsawadeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashraf-alsawadeh View Post
I replaced mine a month agon , paid 70 dollars comes with thermostat , still leaking from the upper cover around the o ring sealer , soon going with the aluminum one , bad engineering ford
Wow, only 1 month and the new thermostat housing is leaking?? Sounds defective.
I replaced out my thermostat housing 6 months ago and it is bone dry, however I am having issues with coolant leaking in the "V" valley of the engine. It looks as though the coolant is coming up around the freeze plugs, which are located in the valley of the engine. Going to run a warm pressure test this Sunday to figure out of the freeze plugs are the issue. Wish me luck!!

- 2005, 4.0 - Missing 2 cylinders :-/
- SCT Xcal3 w/ Brenspeed Custom Tunes
- Airaid CAI
- Pypes Streetpro Exhaust
- AM Front Chin Spoiler
- AM Quarter window louvers
- SHR honeycomb decklid panel
- Cobra R wheels
- Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
- Billet Honeycomb Chrome Front Grille Overlay
- Smoked tail lights & turn signals, Mustang 3rd brake light decal
- Raxiom sequential tail light kit
kevinmalec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
08mustang

Vehicle: 2008 ford mustang

I installed the aluminum thermostat housing and do not have to worry about it splitting anymore. The aluminum lower housing is a one piece casting and not two plastic pieces glued together. You are right about bad engineering on fords part. The only reason they installed a plastic unit was to save money for them, not for there customer. I was afraid to take long trips with my car due to the thermostat housing problem. Now I will drive it any distance without hesitation.
08mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:13 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement