Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

About to rebuild transmission. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 03:28 PM
ctross

Default About to rebuild transmission. Any advice?

Alright so I just received my rebuild kit and instructional video from Hanlon Motorsports for the t-5, was expecting a little more to be honest.

After watching the video I have a feeling I'm going to have to shell out for additional parts, guess I'll find out here soon. Anyone know what the cost of replacing a gear is? 2nd to be more specific.

Anyone have some tips that might make this easier? for instance I only have 2 jack stands, one jack at the moment, and one generous helper at the moment. does the car need to be completely off the ground? and how difficult is getting the tranmission out actually going to be?

This is my first real "mechanical project" I guess, so just seeking some wisdom from people with more experience.

Thanks!

edit: some teardown pics on page 2

Last edited by ctross; 11-02-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: pic update oon second page
Old 10-30-2013, 09:02 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

I've never rebuilt a manual trans before. Was always told to leave it up to the professionals. Have you ever built one before? Maybe if you take the trans out and take it somewhere w your parts. If not, go for it and learn!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:46 PM
ctross

I thought the same thing when the problems started; leave it to the professionals. What fun would that be though, right? (would also cost me an extra $700) So I inquired here or maybe another forum a little while back (google takes me to different ones all the time and I'm sure I've signed up to all of them) and a lot of people have said that Hanlon Motorsports offered a great rebuild kit and instruction dvd for people looking to do it on their own. So, I went for it and the dvd is actually VERY thorough and informative.

Worst comes to worst I'll already have the trans out and and will save some labor cost on the rebuild. Getting everything out has been pretty easy, and I'lll attempt the actual rebuild tomorrow morning. Seems tedious, but nothing too difficult if you have the right tools. I think the hardest part is going to be lifting the trans back up underneath the car lol.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:33 AM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

It's definitely a 2 person job getting the transmission back in. Are you replacing the clutch and pressure plate while your in there? Sounds like a job I would love to help out on...another persons Mustang to learn on! LOL
Old 10-31-2013, 08:39 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

You're better off buying a replacement T5 then trying to rebuild it... I can't speak from experience on the difficulty of rebuilding it but I can speak from experience that the T5 in these cars is a piece of crap. They can be had for cheaper then a rebuild kit/installation price.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:32 AM
ctross

Yeah luckily, I have a buddy assisiting me with it all. Started the rebuild already and all is going fine, just following along with my instruction video and taking my time. Nothing too complicated, just a matter of having the proper tools for some of the more tricky stuff.

I've heard nothing but bad things about these t5's, but rebuilding is saving me a ton of cash compared to having a shop do it or buying a new/rebuilt one. I wasnt able to find one online for cheaper anyways, maybe I didnt look hard enough though. the lowest I found was around $700.

If I end up not being able to do this myself, I think I'm just going to shell out for a 6060.

The clutch is looking fine right now, no need to replace. although I would like to while everything is apart. Honestly though, getting to it wasnt very difficult; so wont be a pain in the future.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:54 AM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctross
Yeah luckily, I have a buddy assisiting me with it all. Started the rebuild already and all is going fine, just following along with my instruction video and taking my time. Nothing too complicated, just a matter of having the proper tools for some of the more tricky stuff.

I've heard nothing but bad things about these t5's, but rebuilding is saving me a ton of cash compared to having a shop do it or buying a new/rebuilt one. I wasnt able to find one online for cheaper anyways, maybe I didnt look hard enough though. the lowest I found was around $700.

If I end up not being able to do this myself, I think I'm just going to shell out for a 6060.

The clutch is looking fine right now, no need to replace. although I would like to while everything is apart. Honestly though, getting to it wasnt very difficult; so wont be a pain in the future.
http://car-part.com/
Try here, I bought one with 2000 miles on it for 600 shipped. Its pretty easy to remove and reinstall tranny by yourself if you have a transmission jack, or motorcycle jack.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:31 PM
ctross

Thanks for that site, will come in handy in the future!

I've already started the rebuild though, 2nd syncros were worn to all hell as thought and I'm going to need to order a new 2nd gear since it has some pretty worn teeth as well.

I'm an amateur mechanic at BEST and this hasnt been too bad at all, just time consuming. If anyone has any interest in working on their own cars and ever needs to do this, I would say go for it. It has been a lot of fun so far, and I've learned a ton!

However, a lot of people agree this trans is crap; so maybe an upgrade wouldve been the correct way to go here. It lasted 100,000 miles once, hoping to get at least another 50,000 out of it after the rebuild.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:36 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by ctross
Alright so I just received my rebuild kit and instructional video from Hanlon Motorsports for the t-5, was expecting a little more to be honest.

After watching the video I have a feeling I'm going to have to shell out for additional parts, guess I'll find out here soon. Anyone know what the cost of replacing a gear is? 2nd to be more specific.

Anyone have some tips that might make this easier? for instance I only have 2 jack stands, one jack at the moment, and one generous helper at the moment. does the car need to be completely off the ground? and how difficult is getting the tranmission out actually going to be?

This is my first real "mechanical project" I guess, so just seeking some wisdom from people with more experience.

Thanks!
Working on a transmission as your first 'Mechanical project" I hope you mean first project on this car?

I wouldn't consider ANY tranny work as a job for a beginner. No offense but I've worked on cars for many years.

I've done heads, blocks, suspension, etc. Tranny's and diffs are two things I haven't ever (or will ever) touch.

Too much work goes into taking it apart, rebuilding it, and putting it back, only to find out you screwed something up.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:52 PM
ctross

This is my first project on any car, and am only doing it because I've had several members from another forum tell me the t5's really arent that hard and I'd have to agree. The instructional dvd pretty much walks you through it step by step.

You're right though, it is a lot of work and if I screw something up it's going to suck. I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Quick Reply: About to rebuild transmission. Any advice?