Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion > 4.0L V6 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 11-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
2005Stang

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang
Question 2005 4.0 hessitation

I currently have a 2005 with the 4.0 and when you stomp on it it hessitates badly, I also have another 2005 4.0 that doesn't do that. It has a CAI and dual exhaust no CEL on at all, I cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor. Other wise it runs great.

This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
2005Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005Stang View Post
I currently have a 2005 with the 4.0 and when you stomp on it it hessitates badly, I also have another 2005 4.0 that doesn't do that. It has a CAI and dual exhaust no CEL on at all, I cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor. Other wise it runs great.

Whens the last time you replaced the fuel filter?
Old 11-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

There is a TSB for 2005 thru at least 2006 for hesitation issues, primarily AFTER steady state highway cruising when air bubbles accumulate in the fuel pump and then are forced thru on hard acceleration, especially WOT.

Another similar symptom of hesitation from a dig or roll could be the TCS. I know on my GT I suspected the fuel pump but all symptoms disappeared when I began turning the TCS at each startup.

Then there's the fuel filter (as previously mentioned) and cleaning the TB and MAF (but after re-reading your post, you've already done that).
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
2005Stang

Thanks for the info, I didn't think about the fuel filter since it has only 30k on the Screaming Yellow stang.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
2005Stang

Another question would be what would be the best brand, it looks like it will be a toss up between FRAM or Purolater mabe Duralast?

Old 11-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

IMO, choosing a fuel filter isn't as critical as choosing an oil filter. I 'd do a visual on them if possible and then pick whichever suits you. I have no issues with FRAM and Purolater fuel filters but have no info on Duralast.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
06Driver

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang

I had the same problem with my '06 V6 and it was still under warranty at the time. Dealership replaced the throttle body and problem went away and never returned.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:43 AM   #8
2005Stang

Talking

Monday and Tuesday both Stangs get oil changed and after that I will change both fuel filters.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
2005Stang

Talking

Well the service is done and fuel filter has been changed and now seams to run better. One thing the service person said is that the newer cars he cited Chrysler and GM also are not putting fuel filters on fuel lines but just on the fuel pump. I was wondering if any one can verify. Thanks!

Old 11-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005Stang View Post
Well the service is done and fuel filter has been changed and now seams to run better. One thing the service person said is that the newer cars he cited Chrysler and GM also are not putting fuel filters on fuel lines but just on the fuel pump. I was wondering if any one can verify. Thanks!

Good to hear!
I would also recommend getting some Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner or Sea foam and put in with a full tank of gas.

- 2005, 4.0 - Missing 2 cylinders :-/
- SCT Xcal3 w/ Brenspeed Custom Tunes
- Airaid CAI
- Pypes Streetpro Exhaust
- AM Front Chin Spoiler
- AM Quarter window louvers
- SHR honeycomb decklid panel
- Cobra R wheels
- Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
- Billet Honeycomb Chrome Front Grille Overlay
- Smoked tail lights & turn signals, Mustang 3rd brake light decal
- Raxiom sequential tail light kit

Last edited by kevinmalec; 11-05-2013 at 10:57 AM.
kevinmalec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:54 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement