Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Group Buy Aluminum Thermostat Housing! All interested reply to this thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 01:29 PM
drakefamily2
1st Gear Member

Went to order and price was raised. thought the buy was good till 12/22
Old 12-21-2013, 02:42 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Did you go to Amazon or eBay?
Old 12-21-2013, 03:40 PM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

Kzonts, what tool did you use to remove the flashing? any pics of the flashing before your work?

Kind-of nervous now about mine. What's up with all those pitting looking spots all over it? I'm curious about the construction now, I'm assuming it's just poured into some sort of sand mold or lost foam mold? all the milled spots look good in person atleast, right?

Just realized almost every sentence of that was a question lol

Last edited by conor1148; 12-21-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: correcting grammar
Old 12-21-2013, 03:51 PM
IvanRad
2nd Gear Member

when i got the wrong color security cameras amazon refunded my money. if this guy is sending out aluminum thermostat housings that need to be filed down hes not working as hard as he says he is...
All Metal
engineered
tested
warranty
better than oem
You dont say something is tested if it needs to be filed down. i would get your guys money back...
i already ordered mine and if i have to file anything down. this guy is crazy if he thinks hes keeping his money.
i repair iphones and if my customer saw that a screen was not perfect i wouldnt be paid.
hope he has something to say to this.
I show my customers my invoices and how much i charge per screen and how much profit i make .
Old 12-21-2013, 04:09 PM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by IvanRad
when i got the wrong color security cameras amazon refunded my money. if this guy is sending out aluminum thermostat housings that need to be filed down hes not working as hard as he says he is...
All Metal
engineered
tested
warranty
better than oem
You dont say something is tested if it needs to be filed down. i would get your guys money back...
i already ordered mine and if i have to file anything down. this guy is crazy if he thinks hes keeping his money.
i repair iphones and if my customer saw that a screen was not perfect i wouldnt be paid.
hope he has something to say to this.
I show my customers my invoices and how much i charge per screen and how much profit i make .
THIS.

I had to take money from my xmas present fund for this since the sale date was kind of sudden (I thought we were waiting for 30 orders). I'm already a little frustrated by that, but i can get over it for a good product.

If all else fails, and If the address I've found is correct, I'm within driving distance of this guy so I'm more than glad to make a visit if I have to.

Another thing I was curious about, will I need some sort of new hardware? I had read somewhere that steel hardware can make aluminum corrode. I have no source on that at the moment, I'm merely learning so if anyone could give some insight on that.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:07 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by conor1148
Kzonts, what tool did you use to remove the flashing? any pics of the flashing before your work?

Kind-of nervous now about mine. What's up with all those pitting looking spots all over it? I'm curious about the construction now, I'm assuming it's just poured into some sort of sand mold or lost foam foam? all the milled spots look good in person atleast, right?

Just realized almost every sentence of that was a question lol
I just used a file and sandpaper. I just did a quick job and will do a better job later. I 'm not really impressed with this at all. Oh well. :-(
Old 12-22-2013, 08:01 AM
drakefamily2
1st Gear Member

Amazon
Old 12-22-2013, 11:04 AM
MirageII

Kzonts - Mine looks pretty much the same as yours, although it doesn't look like I'll have to touch the machined surfaces on mine at all. They are all true and flat. Like yours, I can see some roughness in the casting as in your second picture, but I'm not too worried about it. It also is a little rough on the outside where the thermostat well is, but again I'm not too worried about it.

I'm just looking for how well the piece will function, and I think it will do great! I suppose if you really wanted to you could spend a day and sand/polish this unit if you wanted. And that would probably make it look fantastic. But I see no reason not to just bolt mine on and call it a day.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:20 AM
MirageII

conor1148 - The chemical reaction your are questioning (the reaction that occurs between dissimilar metals i.e. steel and aluminum) is called "galvanic corrosion". And yes it happens to cars all the time. But I wouldn't worry about it too much in this case. I would think the flow of water (coolant) would wear this piece out long before corrosion would take it's toll.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:13 PM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MirageII
conor1148 - The chemical reaction your are questioning (the reaction that occurs between dissimilar metals i.e. steel and aluminum) is called "galvanic corrosion". And yes it happens to cars all the time. But I wouldn't worry about it too much in this case. I would think the flow of water (coolant) would wear this piece out long before corrosion would take it's toll.
Thanks for clearing that up for me, It was something I heard about when I was researching a Range Rover project.

Quick Reply: Group Buy Aluminum Thermostat Housing! All interested reply to this thread