Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Group Buy Aluminum Thermostat Housing! All interested reply to this thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 04:06 PM
IvanRad
2nd Gear Member

well i guess sand paper will fix it.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Stangbass
2nd Gear Member

2 questions.
1.Is it advised to change out the T-stat while it's out.
2.What coolant does well in these engines. I don't have any shop containers clean enough to just replace what I drain.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:21 PM
08mustang

I hope we will cut the manufacturer some slack and give him positive praise for this part. The machine surfaces are great. I understand some are not happy with the parting line on the small hose connection on the lower unit, but my friend says he will go through his entire stock personally before any more are shipped out. The original one that was installed on my car showed the core parting line on the small tube, not really raised but visible, never leaked and I did not clean it up at all. He appreciates the feedback and he will address the issue immediately.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:29 PM
08mustang

This part took 5 cores laid out by hand in the casting before the part was poured, very labor intensive, I bet that is why it took so long to produce. Hard to make any money if it cost to much to make. I know he is my friend but this part kept me driving my mustang. I was going to get rid of it until this part came out and fixed the problem. I had put to much money into my car because of the plastic piece. Give the part a chance and you will see what Im talking about. By the way if anyone is wondering how I know so much about the part, I was one of the first testers for this part. If you want to send him an email or chat with him personally his email is simmonsautosportz@yahoo.com.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:25 AM
MirageII

Stangbass - It's always a good idea to change out the thermostat when doing something like this, unless you know exactly when the existing one was changed last. My personal rule of thumb is, if I can't remember the date I changed it, or it is more than a year, might as well put a new one in. (And I have a horrible memory for dates )

As far as coolant goes, I know it's reommended to use the Mootorcraft yellow coolant, and everybody I've talked to says to stay away from the any brand of the orange stuff. But I see a lot of people using good old Prestone green. I have no personal recommendation there. Hopefully someone else will chime in and enlighten us both with some facts and recommendations.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:42 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

I picked up a new thermostat today and will give this a go later today or tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:44 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

I finished installing the housing tonight. No leaks and the heat works. I'm a happy camper. Thanks!!!

I was also happy to see my throttle body was squeaky clean after 68,000 miles! Thanks to the UPR catch cans.

Here are a couple pics of the unit installed.

Last edited by kzonts; 12-28-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:46 PM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

Looks good, Kzonts.

I've received mine as well, I am happy with all the surfaces and casting. Nothing for me to file down or anything. Now, if only I could get a little free time to get it tossed in the stang.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:35 PM
IvanRad
2nd Gear Member

bump. everyone buy this product works perfectly . just gotta sandpaper a few spots down.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:15 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Got mine last Saturday.
I busted my hands in a motorcycle wreck (nothing serious) so I'll install it next week when I can bent my wrist hopefully.

I have a customer with a 07 that came for a minor body fix and while we had his hood open, I noticed a debut of leaking on his housing... I told him all the benefits of the metal one so he might go for it, lol.

Quick Reply: Group Buy Aluminum Thermostat Housing! All interested reply to this thread