Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion > 4.0L V6 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 11-26-2013, 04:02 AM   #1
Bosshogoutlaw

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang V6
Default Rough idle(after new spark plugs & wires)

So it getting cold out so i decide to get my friend to help me install my new spark plugs & wires on my 2005 v6 stang. I went with the NGK 7159 TR55-1GP Single Platinum Spark Plug & the taylor street thunder 8mm spark plug wires. Everything went well besides three things that concerns me. For one we didn't use any anti seize nor any dielectric grease on the spark plugs & wires because my friend said it ngk didn't call for it. After i left his house out i notice my car dropping in rpm from 750 to 500 rpm while stopped at the light but is sounds like its gonna shut off on me or something. Also Im hearing a weird bumping noise coming from the muffler. But while Im driving its fantastic. I notice a improvement in throttle response it just when im idling that really has me concerned. Oh & also we didn't space the new spark plugs either but where gonna do so tomorrow to .65. So plz ANY insight would be great
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Bosshogoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
audioAl
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Candy 3.7

Ford's don't like change in plugs, any mechanic can attest to that, that said NGK is a great performance plug. Hopefully gapping them and a little grease on the threads will fix your rough idle. The grease will help you get them out the next change. I'm searching for the right NGK plugs for my 3.7 motor soon.
adj. panhard bar,BMR lca's, Whiteline brackets,Stack Racing rear springs,18x9" Razor rims/245/45/18's GT Radials/ Tuned by Motorvationefi
2014 DIB 3.7 Airaid tube, Yokohama S-drive 275/40/18 on Shelby razors/Boss tower brace/
audioAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #3
JJHoover
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang V6

always put anti seize, also it is possible that some of the plugs were not tightened all the way

Vortec V3 Supercharger, Pypes shorty headers, Pypes mid pipe dual exhaust, GT 500 18" rims, 255/45/18 Pirelli's
JJHoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

I suggest going back to the OE COPs and see if the rough idle and "thump" (which could be a low idle miss) goes away. The OE COPs are pretty decent IMO and aftermarket COPs have had their share of issues.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

@Nuke.. no COP's on the 4.0
@OP Make sure you have the plugs/coil wired in the correct order.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
IvanRad
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang Pony PKG

Id check all the sparks . Make sure the wires were used properly . I think they were different lengths for a reason . Check to make sure everything is snug tight . Change your fuel filter if need be . Then I'd look into your electrical. Right now I have a slight rattle at a stop sign in drive . It's either my tranny mounts or my trannys going out. Alternators are known to act funky especially the oe one . Might need a swap
IvanRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Bosshogoutlaw

@GrayPony I took the wires out one by one so we wouldn't get them confused so that's not a issue

@JJHoover soon has i get a chance were going to check that later on today

@IvanRad I was contemplating the same thing early this morning while i was driving to work but i also was thinking that the car might have to relearn idle since the "Taylor Street Thunder" are a low resistance wire than the OE.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayPony View Post
@Nuke.. no COP's on the 4.0...
I was wondering about that as I typed it. My wife has her 4.0 with her at work and I never really took notice before.

I'd still change back to the OE wires just to eliminate that from the list of possibilities. Although it seems like an unlikely coincidence, I'd clean the TB and check to see if the fuel filter has been replaced within the last 30k miles.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
DenIs2Fast4U

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang V6

I have NGK Iridiums and the Taylor 8mm wires and they have been great for me. Put them on at 65,000 miles, now have 72,000, idles perfectly smooth and response is great.

I would suggest you gap to the OE specs of .052-.056, personally i always go to the middle of the range so I gap .054 here. .065 is way big. And definitly use dielectric tune-up grease it will help with the conductivity.

Gapping them is always a must IMO even if they say pre-gapped from the manufacture. I always seem to have to adjust them slightly.

And yes use some anti-seize on the threads

After doing these things I would be supprised if it doesn't help your situation
DenIs2Fast4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:32 AM   #10
Bosshogoutlaw

Its been raining for the past few day so I haven't been under the hood yet. But last night when I got off work I made the stang relearn idle...ac max while idling for five minutes ac off while idling for five min then I drove ten miles on the highway. I drove home park the car an got up the next morning with a check engine light on. I never been so happy to see it in my life lol. Took it to advance auto to diagnose an what do they find? Mis fire cylinder 4...FINALLY I can drive with peace at mind again
Old 11-28-2013, 12:32 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
idle, plug, rough, spark, wires