Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

clutch line wont stay connected

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 11:24 PM
ctross

Default clutch line wont stay connected

So I am finally about to finish up my tranismission rebuild and all I have left is to bleed the clutch. I couldnt find a bleeder valve for the life of me on my '06, and after some quick google searches it seems this may have been done away with after the '05 model. Can anyone confirm this?

Anyway, a lot of people seem to agree that from '06 on the clutch line will eventually bleed itself overnight or can be sped up by raising the front end and pumping the clutch pedal for a bit. I tried the second option a few times tonight as I have been working really hard on this car the last few weeks and wanted nothing more than to turn it over tonight.

Unfortunetly it didnt work and I ran into a concering problem. After a few depressions of the clutch pedal it would start to get firm again and then I'd hear the clutch line pop loose and hear the brake fluid start leaking. I'm assuming there is still air in the line and that is causing enough pressure to shoot retainer clip out?

Am I correct and should go get a vacuum to pull air out from the brake fluid reservoir or is something else going on here?
Old 12-08-2013, 06:12 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctross
So I am finally about to finish up my tranismission rebuild and all I have left is to bleed the clutch. I couldnt find a bleeder valve for the life of me on my '06, and after some quick google searches it seems this may have been done away with after the '05 model. Can anyone confirm this?

Anyway, a lot of people seem to agree that from '06 on the clutch line will eventually bleed itself overnight or can be sped up by raising the front end and pumping the clutch pedal for a bit. I tried the second option a few times tonight as I have been working really hard on this car the last few weeks and wanted nothing more than to turn it over tonight.

Unfortunetly it didnt work and I ran into a concering problem. After a few depressions of the clutch pedal it would start to get firm again and then I'd hear the clutch line pop loose and hear the brake fluid start leaking. I'm assuming there is still air in the line and that is causing enough pressure to shoot retainer clip out?

Am I correct and should go get a vacuum to pull air out from the brake fluid reservoir or is something else going on here?
sounds like something is blocked in the line to me, your pedal defiantly won't begin to get firm after a few pumps(I pumped my at least 5-10 min. every time I've bled them) and air is compressible so that shouldn't cause the line to pop off, if anything air would cause a spongy pedal, or no resistance at all.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:27 PM
ctross

blocked in the line? Can you elaborate.

I actually had this "fixed" for the first 500 miles after my transmission rebuild, but yesterday on the freeway I had the clip pop out again. Weird that it held for so long and then gave out.

I pulled over and pressed it back in, clutch pedal firmed up pretty quickly and i was able to get home without problems. It's still in there pretty good, but has me nervous. Any Idea what would of caused this? bad clip?
Old 12-24-2013, 12:41 AM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctross
blocked in the line? Can you elaborate.

I actually had this "fixed" for the first 500 miles after my transmission rebuild, but yesterday on the freeway I had the clip pop out again. Weird that it held for so long and then gave out.

I pulled over and pressed it back in, clutch pedal firmed up pretty quickly and i was able to get home without problems. It's still in there pretty good, but has me nervous. Any Idea what would of caused this? bad clip?
Well if you actually had it working I'm guessing the line was good, I don't know how the clip could pop out unless it's warped, I mean It can't hurt to change it, make sure you have the connection press together completely, install the clip, then try to pull it apart (no way should it come apart) It's also pretty weird that you hooked the line up on the side of the road, and didn't have to jack up the front to bleed it to get the pedal firm.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:54 AM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Is it the clip on the Master cylinder? did you reuse it? It could be possible that the grooves for the clip may be worn out and giving way. It is just crappy plastic, after all.

When I changed my master cylinder, I didn't have to jack up the car to bleed it, just about 20 minutes of vigorous stamping....