Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Possible Transmission issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 12:25 PM
MustangProbzz

Default Possible Transmission issues?

Hello all!

I have an automatic v6 2006 Mustang. I live in a very cold climate, winters average out to 20-30 degrees for a few months at a time. My mustang is sitting at about 55,000 miles.

I have never had any major repairs/maintenance so far, which could be a part of the problem.

For a while now, when I get in my car and shift to Drive, the handle has been a little sluggish to move from P to D, or even Reverse. It also can take a second to engage or start moving once I put it in Reverse. Recently, I have been noticing when I put the car in Park the motor seems to make a noise/vibrate momentarily (2 seconds), before it idles as normal.

Is this a transmission issue? Fluid?

Thanks for reading.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:12 AM
talmadgecook

It will be surely said by hearing that voice but as u described it will be definately some kind of transmission problem. I have been regular customer of Cook's Transmissions and it provides expert services that will makes your car running smooth as ever. It has done a good work on my auto repair needs. so, you must have to visit Cook's Transmissions once
Old 12-14-2013, 03:03 AM
mustang v61999

Mine does the same thing!
Old 12-14-2013, 03:55 PM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

I think this is a pretty common problem with our autos.

In my case everything works fine but the transition from park to reverse after a cold start, it doesnt want to go unless its warmed up a little or if i use a little more force. Nowadays I back into probably 95% of the places I park so It doesn't matter to me.

Couldn't hurt to have the fluid changed, or do it yourself if you can keep from making a mess. Does it have any problems once it's actually moving?
Old 01-19-2014, 12:04 PM
101btp
1st Gear Member

Ok now if you do decide to change ur fluid,

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...erm=fluid+pump

Best 6$ investment for filling your transmission pan and will barely but will thread to a royal purpple bottle. the plug also I know the od of is a standard bolt head but the center bolt is torx! Another thing that will make youre life a lot more simple I got a brass nipple from the hardware store that threaded into the center of the plug for the transmission pan and then just got a 3' section of rubber hose so you can lay next to ur car and to it, so just my learning experience
Old 12-08-2021, 07:50 PM
2008GT

Good evening all,
I just want to give you an update on what I actually ended up doing. I have been working on the transmission off an on throughout the summer and fall. Here's what I did:

First, after the initial filter and fluid change, and replacing the reverse servo as discussed above, I ordered the intermediate and overdrive servo kit from https://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com/ (mentioned by Derf00 above), including the modified ring clips and pliers. The kit with recommended parts and pliers was $300 including tax and shipping. This repair can be done without removing the transmission on a 2008 GT. I separated the rear exhaust pipes from the H-pipe and lowered the transmission about 6" in the back. Just enough to remove and install the servos. The transmission tunnel sheet metal is not strong enough to press against when installing the servos, so you need to rig some plywood or something similar to spread the load on the sheet metal. With the transmission in, there is not enough room to get a torque wrench on one of the band adjustment bolts. However, torque is just force times distance. There is room to get a wrench on the bolt, then I calculated the force I needed base on the length of my wrench and used a fishing scale to measure the force applied at the end of the wrench, hence applying the correct torque. The solenoid resistance check instruciton that came with the kit were from a different model, but I found the necessary information in my repair manual. This repair did improve my issues, but unfortunately it did not solve it. It was worth a try and I do recommend it if your symptoms are mild.

Second, I ordered a remanufactured transmission from Detroit Axle through ebay (yes, I know that it was not recommended above, but I guess I had to learn it the hard way). Detroit Axle sent me the wrong transmission. I was not happy with their customer service when trying to solve this issue and therefore I did not get another transmission from them. They did give me a full refund.

Third, I did extensive research on how to rebuild the transmission myself, but in the end decided against it, mostly because I do not have the time. I found that a complete rebuild would cost about $2000 in parts and tools if I did it myself.

Forth, I pulled the transmission and took it to a local transmission shop (https://www.loditransmissions.com) to have it remanufactured. I brought a long list of items I wanted to be included and sat down with the shop owner to discuss it. To my pleasant surprise, he confirmed that everything on my list was included and that he had a few additional upgrades. He gave me a 3 year, 100k mile warranty on the transmission. This repair was $3000 including taxes (I did the removal and installation). I was very happy with the service.

Now the mustang runs like new...