Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

T5 cluster

Old 03-17-2014, 10:25 AM
07rousche 4.0

either way my questions still isn't answered
Old 03-17-2014, 05:27 PM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

In all seriousness, people here are probably not answering your question because they aren't familiar with D&D products, or they are like me and consider a transmission repair the last thing they would undertake on their own. Did you try calling them (248-735-6220) or email them (info@ddperformance.com)? I would think they would be in the best position to answer your question. Have you looked for a used T5 or 3650 from a local salvage yard? Having not been to Italy, I'm guessing Mustangs aren't as easy to find as in the states.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:44 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

LOL.....he's a Mustang guy....In Italy! That's awesome! Wish I knew anything about T5's but I don't. Somebody help this guy! Keep the American Muscle flame burning my friend!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:29 AM
07rousche 4.0

K so I ended up doing the whole rebuild myself, trans i just cleaned out all the broken teeth and slapped back together with new fluid.... I messed up somewhere and now reverse isn't working but I dont really care cause i can push it backwards out or into a parking spot, The Italians still love it. The rear end was torched so I dropped in a auburn LSD with 4.10's. I am currenly doing research to see if the internals from a fox T5 will work. If anybody knows for sure you can tell me but dont tell me to change transmissions again or I will flip seeing I have said I would but cant a million times. Thanks
Old 04-02-2014, 07:22 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 07rousche 4.0
......... If anybody knows for sure you can tell me but dont tell me to change transmissions again or I will flip seeing I have said I would but cant a million times. Thanks
Nobody knows for sure because in the good Ole US of A, nobody gives a shat about building a T5. Who ever tried ended up regretting it.
Also be nice to your fellow members as they only try to help, despite the fact that you can't get another transmission where you are.
I believe Matech in Germany might have what you need but I can't be sure...I know that they are a Ford Hi-Performance source for Europe. They won't be cheap though...
Old 04-02-2014, 09:23 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

So the main difference with ours and the earlier T5's is the the shorter output shaft. I can't recall if it uses a different number of teeth on the gear or not but I'm thinking it does, which would mean you'd have an issue with the D&D cluster. I replaced everything with the G-Force rebuild kit. Its good for around 600 hp & 500ft/lbs so its pretty stout. I took this path instead of the 3650 and still go back and forth on whether it was the right decision, although now I think the 3660 would be the better option thanks to the 2 OD gears. This kit was designed primarily as a race oriented rebuild kit. So the gears are cut straighter, which means gear whine; they use a 26 spline main shaft so that means you'll need to replace your clutch disk; 3rd the OD ratio is going to drop and you will have a bit of a dead spot around 50 - 60 mph, depending on what OD ratio you choose will determine where you drop out of the powerband. I went with the .63 OD gear. Also, they use 2.94 1st gear for strength, which with a 4.10 rear puts you back to the same overall 1st gear ratio as the stock rear gear/trans. Bottom line this trans shifts, the harder you push it the better it shifts and that piece of mind is priceless on the track.

Last edited by jimkaray; 04-03-2014 at 03:07 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-02-2014, 09:57 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
So the main difference with ours and the earlier T5's is the the shorter output shaft. I can't recall if it uses a different number of teeth on the gear or not but I'm thinking it does. I replaced everything with the G-Force rebuild kit. Its good for around 600 hp & 500ft/lbs so its pretty stout. I took this path instead of the 3650 and still go back and forth on whether it was the right decision, although now I think the 3660 would be the better option. This designed primarily as a race oriented rebuild kit. So the gears are cut straighter for strength, which means gear whine; they use a 26 spline main shaft so that means you'll need to replace your clutch disk; 3rd the OD ratio is going to drop and you will have a bit of a dead spot around 50 - 60 mph, depending on what OD ratio you choose, where you drop out of the powerband. I went with the .63 OD gear. Also, they use 2.94 1st for strength, which with the 4.10 rear puts you back to the same overall 1st gear ratio as the stock rear gear/trans. Bottom line this trans shifts, the harder you push it the better it shifts and that piece of mind is priceless on the track.
how much was the G-Force kit?
Old 04-03-2014, 03:29 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by turbo 2.8
how much was the G-Force kit?
Well it depends on what options you go with and then there is the cost of assembly and the new clutch disk (which I hadn't anticipated). Plus I decided to go with the McCleod adjustable throw out bearing which is a pricey piece at close to $500 but it was possible a stock replacement would not have enough throw and didn't want any more shifting issues. Turned out every tooth on my main gear was chipped or broken and the synchros were shot. I'm amazed it held together for the 165k so I can't trash talk the T-5 too much:-)
Here's my breakdown from last year this time so prices may have changed:
1-4 gearset $1,295, added .63 OD gear for +$250; +$300 for a bearing kit; + $60 for stronger bearing retainer plate. I had G-Force assemble it for $250. Adding the OD gear set IMO is a must as otherwise you'll be so far out of the power band it won't be very easy to drive in mild highway traffic.

Last edited by jimkaray; 05-19-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:04 AM
07rousche 4.0

Great information, finally I got some good info I messages them already getting some price quotes. Don't need the throwout since I just installed the exedy but I need all the gearing and bearings. Great information man and thanks for posting.

I am not mean to my fellow members, just don't like when they post something trying to sound smart when I didn't even ask about it. Plus the whole Zing thing pissed me off. If I post something I expect real answers or someone trying to help. Not someone telling me to do something different or something like that. Support my decision or don't post. Thanks though to those who have helped
Old 04-03-2014, 06:06 AM
dlhiggins

i know this is not reqard to your post put how do i get any advise on my thread. i just joined and really dont understand how to start one where i can get some advise. sorry to jump in on your post.
My 2013 Ford Mustang is stuck in 3rd gear. I took it to the dealer ship in Blytheville AR which is a joke. They told me the fork is broke and that it is caused by inproper shifting, but they had not even taken it apart or ran any test. They just asume it is my fault because they have had this happen before. They want me to pay to have test run on it. or they will not even work on it. I have never heard of having to have to pay upfront for them to firgure what is wrong with my car, when it is still under warranty. I called the ford customer support service. the lady was very rude and told me i had no choice but to pay upfront. I asked to speak to her supervisor. she is suppose to call me tomorrow. Any advice on what I need to do. Need help fast

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T5 cluster