Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Hood paint bubbling what to do...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 09:21 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Story is the hoods got contamination in the seams when they were washed before paint.
:

Last edited by DRAGUL; 03-16-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:22 AM
chaoscac

Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to go with a new hood and get it painted if i can find a place that will do it around here, don't know any body shops in Madison time to start looking.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:17 AM
Forza_Roma

Mine hood got bubbles when the car was around 6 years old (it came from sunny Texas to Europe, where the combination of snow and salt during the winter immediately effected the hood). Previous owner also decided to have that cheap plastic scoop on the hood, which makes really nice place for water to stagnate, so bubbles occured around scoop on the hood too.
I decided to repaint it by someone who is known as expert for such job around here. He charged me around 300€ (400$) for hood and passenger door (big scratch caused by vandalism) repaint. He also told me that hood is made of aluminium. I just couldn't understand how aluminium can rust, but he said that oxides also gather on aluminium raw material during the time.
Passenger door were really nice fixed (it's hard to see that it were ever repainted), but bubbles on hood came back in less than one year after repainting it. So I guess that Ford used really bad quality of raw material for hoods.
In this way I would suggest you to rather buy new hood than repaint your old. And I hope that quality of new hood will be better than it is of stock hood.

Last edited by Forza_Roma; 03-17-2014 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:33 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Does anyone know if this was still an issue in 2010? My 2010 has two bubbles forming near the seam underneath in the front. Thankfully nothing on the exterior yet, but if/when that day comes it'd be nice to know if its was due to the same causes.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:45 PM
chaoscac

Now that I'm going with a aftermarket hood no shops around here will paint it the four I've been to say that it would cost more to get the hood ready to paint it's not worth the added cost. What are dome reputable shops online that don't have to many issues.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:09 PM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure why manufacturers went to aluminum. It is lighter but no so much so that it will have a real bearing on MPG if they only use it on horizontal surfaces. From what I've seen, they are more prone to oxidation (and bubbling) from the slightest ding. Sheet metal will rust, but not like they did decades ago before they dipped the cars at the factory and repairs on sheet metal are so much easier.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:11 PM
Palmateer

Well, after a couple weeks, my service manager got an OK from Ford to replace my alum engine hood with the bubbling paint. The car is a year past end of 36 month warranty. The dealer's price for the hood replacement work was $2400, but discounted to about $2200. Ford agrees to reimburse dealer $1400, so I had to pay the $800 balance. The new primered hood was painted by the dealer's shop to match paint on September 18.

Picture of bubbling paint

https://imageshack.com/i/ipgAQaoQj
Old 09-21-2014, 07:21 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I had the same issue back in 2009.
Check out the link below where we discussed it with pictures;

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...6-25-15-a.html
Old 09-27-2014, 11:30 AM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

Ford loved aluminum. I'm not sure why. The problems with steel rusting have mostly been eliminated with dipping the cars in primer at the factory but aluminum still oxidizes. The only permanent solution is to replace it with fiberglass.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:24 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I've had the hood on my '06 GT 'vert worked on 3-4 times for the paint bubbling issue. There really should be a class action suit on this.

Quick Reply: Hood paint bubbling what to do...