Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

alternator issues?

Old 04-24-2014, 09:17 AM
TBuckTex

Teetertotter, I wonder if the spark plugs are creating my problem. I put in E3 plugs and that may be the issue. Going to go back to motorcraft plat and see what happens.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:40 AM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TBuckTex
Teetertotter, I wonder if the spark plugs are creating my problem. I put in E3 plugs and that may be the issue. Going to go back to motorcraft plat and see what happens.
Let us know if Auto Lite OEM plugs was a further cure to your symptoms if you decide to go back. All I know is that my new mechanic, of one year+, diagnosed not having OEM plugs in my 4.0L. Same spark plug coils are original.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:12 PM
TBuckTex

I will let everyone know. The plugs i believe are Motorcraft AGSF-24F-M finewire platinum set at .054. I changed my originals at 92k, they looked brand new when I did!
Old 04-25-2014, 01:02 PM
jlopez07
2nd Gear Member

Im going to be running my car again at the track next Friday for the second time ever. Everything has been checked on my car as far as fluids amd routine maintenance got done on it as well Wednesday. Plugs changed, oil, fuel filter. Only mods I have on my car are bbk intake, shorty headers, 3.73s, underdrive pully and tune. Anything I should be worried about when running? Blowing my engine, timing chain, etc etc?
Old 04-28-2014, 09:31 AM
TBuckTex

Changed plugs out for the Motorcraft over the weekend. No improvement. I think it actually ran better with the E3 plugs! Oh well, will run these for a while and see how it goes. With the E3 plugs it was a bit more agressive to start and run.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:53 PM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TBuckTex
Changed plugs out for the Motorcraft over the weekend. No improvement. I think it actually ran better with the E3 plugs! Oh well, will run these for a while and see how it goes. With the E3 plugs it was a bit more agressive to start and run.
Well, I guess you gave it the ole college try. Sorry to hear you have the same condition.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:43 AM
TBuckTex

Thanks. Going to change the upstream O2 sensors next. The checked out good (within spec) but its the only thing I haven't replaced yet after 130k miles. Honestly, I believe the problem to be electrical, but cleaning the grounds didn't help. Any electrical strain (fan, roof, blinkers even) causes the idle to change and the engine to bog slightly. Been trying to get this right for a year now, guess its just a pipe dream to think that it will run as well as it did for the first 8 years. But not giving up yet!
Old 04-30-2014, 10:16 AM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

TB, the only other thing I can think of is disconnect the battery for a few hours.....reconnect for system to relearn and see what happens.

Picked up mine from local front end shop this morning as they took off the snow tires and put on the summer one's. Both sets tires have their own rims. He said there is a loose lower ball joint on the left side that needs replacing. I am waiting for him to call for estimate.
I should have just left the car with him and have that done today, if he could fit it in. My ABS light/traction control is intermittent and nothing I need to take care of right away.

I still hope you find out what is going on with yours....like pulling hairs!
Old 05-21-2014, 11:53 PM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

I think I need a new alternator on my 07 4.6. My gauge show not charging and I hear a whining like maybe the alternator bearing... Does anyone have any tips on this do it yourself job. Looks like a lot of parts need to come off to get at it. Any input or direction would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-22-2014, 09:07 AM
TBuckTex

I changed out mine on V6 and was simple, about 20 minutes. Not sure on a V8 though. Just have a nice long bar handle on your ratchet to be able to loosen the tensioner on the belt! The rest was easy. Oh and having the dielectric grease to put on all the connections is always good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: alternator issues?