Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Suspension setups

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Keep it real
2nd Gear Member

Default Suspension setups

Like the title says. What are you guys running. I'm looking to invest in some new springs and want to know what the better springs are. I'm digging the SR springs AM have. I'm also looking for maybe a 1.5-1.75 drop front and back. I am wanting ones that I could later transfer to a 11-14 later on maybe. I can't quite afford the pan hard bar to go with it but is there anything else I'd need to go with it. Show me some pics of your setups. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2014, 04:54 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

The SR springs will give you about a 1.5" drop at the max, since your '08 is a v6 and they're lighter than the GT's. However, you can transfer these springs to any 05-14 S197 Mustang. If you plan to hold onto them.

At the very least, you'll need an adjustable panhard bar and camber bolts. The panhard bar will center the rear axle housing and the camber bolts are necessary for alignment for 05-09 Mustangs. The 10-14's typically can get away with the factory strut mounts without the use of CC plates or camber bolts.

Of course, the more you upgrade the suspension the more benefits you'll experience. The two parts I listed above are just the bare minimum required to install the SR springs or any lowering springs.

Feel free to give me a shout if you have any other questions or concerns!

Shane
Old 05-21-2014, 05:35 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

I strongly suggest you replace the shocks and struts at the same time. The stock ones tend to fail early if you lower the car and do not replace them with aftermarket ones.

Get a full kit with everything, or get everything you need at once.
You will enjoy the difference over the stock suspension!

(I wouldn't go lower than a 1.5" drop. All my cars are a more modest 1" or so, and even so, it is too low at times! But the handling is far better than stock.

Also, if you do not have a rear sway bar on your v6: get one! A stock GT take-off is a reasonable option, if you don't get one in some suspension kit.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:18 PM
XGC JACOBS

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
The SR springs will give you about a 1.5" drop at the max, since your '08 is a v6 and they're lighter than the GT's. However, you can transfer these springs to any 05-14 S197 Mustang. If you plan to hold onto them.

At the very least, you'll need an adjustable panhard bar and camber bolts. The panhard bar will center the rear axle housing and the camber bolts are necessary for alignment for 05-09 Mustangs. The 10-14's typically can get away with the factory strut mounts without the use of CC plates or camber bolts.

Of course, the more you upgrade the suspension the more benefits you'll experience. The two parts I listed above are just the bare minimum required to install the SR springs or any lowering springs.

Shane
Not always true. I have 93k on mine and had my struts, shocks, and lowering springs installed by a level 3 suspension and alignment ASE master certified Chrysler tech. I work at a Chrysler dealer so I got the hookup on labor . Had my alignment checked before hand my toe was off but that was it. Rechecked after the install and everything was the exact same. Torque thrust angle was dead on, camber and caster were dead on also. If you get it installed properly by a good tech, you shouldn't have any problems. I'm not saying this is true for all, or maybe I got lucky, but i did not need any additional parts or adjustments after my SR lowering springs were installed. I saw about an inch and a half drop in the back and only an inch in the front. I actually liked the stance better before because the back end was up a little bit, now it just looks like a lowrider lol. Pros- the handling has improved quite a bit.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:24 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Koni Yellow's, Steeda Ultralites, J&M camber plates, Fays 2 Watt's link. Car handles beautifully and is super predictable.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:25 AM
Keep it real
2nd Gear Member

Shane
So are the camber bolts and panhard bar required or just strongly suggested
Old 05-22-2014, 11:17 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by XGC JACOBS
Not always true. I have 93k on mine and had my struts, shocks, and lowering springs installed by a level 3 suspension and alignment ASE master certified Chrysler tech. I work at a Chrysler dealer so I got the hookup on labor . Had my alignment checked before hand my toe was off but that was it. Rechecked after the install and everything was the exact same. Torque thrust angle was dead on, camber and caster were dead on also. If you get it installed properly by a good tech, you shouldn't have any problems. I'm not saying this is true for all, or maybe I got lucky, but i did not need any additional parts or adjustments after my SR lowering springs were installed. I saw about an inch and a half drop in the back and only an inch in the front. I actually liked the stance better before because the back end was up a little bit, now it just looks like a lowrider lol. Pros- the handling has improved quite a bit.
I'd be very surprised if the camber was dead on after lowering the ride height 1.5" on a 05-09 Mustang. It's certainly possible to still be within spec, but from what I've seen almost every 05-09 Mustang needed a small adjustment in chamber from a 1.5" drop. Especially after the springs fully seated a two or so weeks after the installation.

The installation for lowering springs is very straight forward. I wouldn't say using a very experienced technician alters the need for chamber adjustment. I think your case was more unique than others with 05-09 Mustangs.

Shane

Originally Posted by Keep it real
So are the camber bolts and panhard bar required or just strongly suggested
The adjustable panhard bar is required if you want a perfectly centered rear axle housing. In my personal opinion, having anything less than a perfectly centered rear axle housing is unacceptable. Even if it's off a .25".

As for the camber bolts, from what I've seen most 05-09 Mustangs do need them for an acceptable alignment. What I would do is purchase the chamber bolts and take them to the alignment shop with you. See if they need the bolts and if they don't, you can just return them. It would really suck if they needed the bolts and you didn't have any on hand though.

Hope this helps!

Shane
Old 05-22-2014, 02:40 PM
Keep it real
2nd Gear Member

I'd be very surprised if the camber was dead on after lowering the ride height 1.5" on a 05-09 Mustang. It's certainly possible to still be within spec, but from what I've seen almost every 05-09 Mustang needed a small adjustment in chamber from a 1.5" drop. Especially after the springs fully seated a two or so weeks after the installation.

The installation for lowering springs is very straight forward. I wouldn't say using a very experienced technician alters the need for chamber adjustment. I think your case was more unique than others with 05-09 Mustangs.

Shane

The adjustable panhard bar is required if you want a perfectly centered rear axle housing. In my personal opinion, having anything less than a perfectly centered rear axle housing is unacceptable. Even if it's off a .25".

As for the camber bolts, from what I've seen most 05-09 Mustangs do need them for an acceptable alignment. What I would do is purchase the chamber bolts and take them to the alignment shop with you. See if they need the bolts and if they don't, you can just return them. It would really suck if they needed the bolts and you didn't have any on hand though.

Hope this helps!

Shane
I went ahead and ordered both since the bolts were only $35 and the panhard bar was on sale. However you have it on back order and I have it set to ship as soon as you guys get the shipment in. Will this be a problem if I go ahead and put the springs in when I get them or do I need to wait until the panhard bar comes in to put everything together. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2014, 12:53 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

You could run the factory Panhard bar in the meantime until your adjustable one arrives. I don't suggest driving thousands of miles because it may cause the rear tires to wear funny, but you'll be okay if it's temporary.

Which Panhard Bar did you order? I'll see what ETA I can find for you!

Shane
Old 05-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Keep it real
2nd Gear Member

You could run the factory Panhard bar in the meantime until your adjustable one arrives. I don't suggest driving thousands of miles because it may cause the rear tires to wear funny, but you'll be okay if it's temporary.

Which Panhard Bar did you order? I'll see what ETA I can find for you!

Shane
I ordered the SR adjustable bar. I would put it on as soon as it came in. At most I might go 400 miles before it came in, given its 2-3 weeks

Quick Reply: Suspension setups