Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

My SCT Tuner Experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 12:34 PM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

No word from AM or Bama yet...
Old 06-25-2014, 09:51 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Not that anyone is reading this, but I have still not heard a word from AM or Bama. I was going to start calling them, but decided to put the original tunes they gave me for the BBK CAI on it since I believe the vaccuum leak was the problem. The car ran great but threw a check engine light on the way to work today. The power is back, it felt good. I just filled up the tank last night (before changing anything) and my gas mileage appears to be holding at 19/20 mpg. I will reset the check engine before driving home tonight and if it throws another one, and same code, I'll move on to the second set of tunes they gave me for the CAI. I haven't looked but I would totally guess the check engine is related to too much fuel, and the second set of tunes backed it off about 5% if I remember correctly. That, hopefully should get my car into shape. If not, I'm going to start calling/emailing AM and/or Bama every hour on the hour until this thing works.... OR I'm going to take this BBK CAI off and throw it into the street...
Old 06-25-2014, 10:34 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I've seen other posts where people had issues with their BBK CAI.

I've never had any issues with my Airaid CAI, which I can use with or without a custom tune.

Just curious, does your AM custom tunes require certain octane?

I have 87, 89 and 93 custom tunes.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:21 PM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Yes Kevin, with the exception of the last attempt, I've gotten the 3 octane tunes each time. I think they've given up on me tbh. I wasn't really displeased with the BBK until I had to hook up that last line back to the crankcase. I'm still not sure it is sealed properly.
The update is that I put the original 87 octane tune on it for the CAI, and I threw a check engine yesterday morning - too rich. I reset it for the drive back home, and it did not throw another check engine. But, this morning on the way to work it threw the same code - too rich. I'm going to the second set of tunes that they backed the fuel off, if I remember correctly, about 5% less. I'm going to give that a shot. If that doesn't work and AM or Bama won't help, I'm taking that damn thing off and going back to the stock air cleaner. I had such a great running/performing car with the stock air cleaner tunes, i'm ready to give up on this BBK thing.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:02 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 66and06stangs
Yes Kevin, with the exception of the last attempt, I've gotten the 3 octane tunes each time. I think they've given up on me tbh. I wasn't really displeased with the BBK until I had to hook up that last line back to the crankcase. I'm still not sure it is sealed properly.
The update is that I put the original 87 octane tune on it for the CAI, and I threw a check engine yesterday morning - too rich. I reset it for the drive back home, and it did not throw another check engine. But, this morning on the way to work it threw the same code - too rich. I'm going to the second set of tunes that they backed the fuel off, if I remember correctly, about 5% less. I'm going to give that a shot. If that doesn't work and AM or Bama won't help, I'm taking that damn thing off and going back to the stock air cleaner. I had such a great running/performing car with the stock air cleaner tunes, i'm ready to give up on this BBK thing.
Sorry to hear about all of the issues you are encountering. Not fun and I feel your pain!

I've ordered a lot of parts from AM and they are pretty good about resolving issues and/or offering a replacement for parts or revised tunes.

Did you purchase the BBK from AM as well? If so, maybe return and order a different CAI.
I highly recommend the Airaid CAI, which is the company that makes CAI's for Roush. I've never experienced any issues with my Airaid CAI, with or without my custom tunes loaded.

Keep us posted and good luck!
Old 06-30-2014, 10:02 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Well, when I first logged onto this forum and started this thread, it looked like an AM guy (Shane) was going to get me some help. That never materialized and at this point, I'm a bit skeptical on what AM will or will not do. I didn't get to changing out the tune over the weekend, so I just reset the check engine and it seemed to run good this morning, and no check engine. I did buy the whole thing from AM, along with a lot of other things. I've spent some $$$ with them for sure. I've never had any trouble getting the wrong parts, I see that frequently here.... I'm just having a tough time getting the tuning for this BBK CAI. Ready for the car to run good!
Old 07-08-2014, 03:41 PM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Well, to somewhat bring this thread to an end.... i went and bought my own line and fittings, from the intake all the way back to the valve cover. I did not use the gasket goop because I thought it looked like crap and figured that with proper fittings, etc, it shouldn't need a bunch of ugly goop.
The car ran like a striped ape! It threw the check engine light for too much fuel again, but I put the one-of-several I got from Bama that apparently cut back the fuel by 5%. It is running like a top. I drove it to work and back 2 days in a row, runs smoothly, and very, very strong. I will check my gas mileage when this tank is out, but I think I finally got the best of this whole episode.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:08 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Good to hear things are looking positive!
Have you called AM to speak with someone in there tuning dept.?
I have Brenspeed custom tunes and never experienced any issues with all 3 custom tunes. When I received my tuner, they accidentally uploaded one custom tune with the incorrect octane grade, however they emailed me the correct one and I uploaded to my SCT tuner with no issues.