Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Switching Gas for different tune?

Old 06-30-2014, 10:06 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Default Switching Gas for different tune?

This may be a sillly question but I still have to ask. I'm using the street tune on my SCT3 tuner that I bought from AM with Bama tunes. If I wanted to try the performance tune, which uses higher octane fuel, how low do I need to go in the fuel tank before I put the higher octane in it? Woult 1/4 or 1/8 of a tank be good enough or should I try to completely drain the tank (which is obviously more difficult to time a gas station stop)?
What have other done?
Old 06-30-2014, 10:08 AM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

I just had my car tuned and I think I was at about an 1/8 of a tank when I filled up
Old 06-30-2014, 12:29 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I run mine until the low fuel light comes on.....then I have 50 miles to fill it with the new stuff.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:37 PM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 66and06stangs
This may be a sillly question but I still have to ask. I'm using the street tune on my SCT3 tuner that I bought from AM with Bama tunes. If I wanted to try the performance tune, which uses higher octane fuel, how low do I need to go in the fuel tank before I put the higher octane in it? Woult 1/4 or 1/8 of a tank be good enough or should I try to completely drain the tank (which is obviously more difficult to time a gas station stop)?
What have other done?
Good question! I will personally try to time/guess when I'm going to be hovering over the E light-You don't need to be completely in the red to have it fulled up and you could even top it off with the higher octane once you're ready. Once you're filled up whip out your tuner, load up the performance or race tune and enjoy!

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm always here to help out!

-Alex
Old 06-30-2014, 01:51 PM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Thank you all. I was worried I'd have drain my tank or something drastic like that. This'll be easy!
Old 06-30-2014, 04:03 PM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Thank you all. I was worried I'd have drain my tank or something drastic like that. This'll be easy!
Just like going to the dentist! Let me know if there's anything else I can help out with.

Alex
Old 06-30-2014, 06:44 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Even though your PCM doesn't have the range of adjustability like some other cars, it should be able to make enough adjustment for minor octane differences to prevent detonation. Of course, if you are going to run a 91 octane tune for example, you can top of a 1/4 tank of 87 octane with 93 octane.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:52 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

you can also put some racing fuel in it 100 or 116 octane
Old 07-01-2014, 07:11 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

I'm going to run it down very soon and try the next up tune. Still having a few issues just getting the car running good (vaccum leak in the crappy BBK CAI apparently, which I still am working). Thanks to all!
Old 07-01-2014, 08:02 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

I'm going to run it down very soon and try the next up tune. Still having a few issues just getting the car running good (vaccum leak in the crappy BBK CAI apparently, which I still am working). Thanks to all!
I would love to hear how it went, so let us know! The CAI's can definitely be a little finicky in my opinion. These cars are just too smart for their own good! Double-check your connections and let me know if there's anything I can help out with!

Alex

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Switching Gas for different tune?