Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Tire sensor reset

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Paul ellis autos

Smile Tire sensor reset

Hello I have a 2005 mustang and the tire warning light is on saying sensor fault, I have swopped all four sensors and when I try to turn the key and pressing foot brake I can't get the beep sound to tell me that I am in the learning mode and I can't reset the system can anyone help please thank you paul ellis
Old 08-04-2014, 07:51 PM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

What does the warning light look like? I thought Ford didn't add TPMS until the 2007 models.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:19 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Are you using the Activation Tool? You have to get the timing right to get into the calibration mode, it took me several tries.

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without radio frequency noise and at least 1 m (3 ft) away from other vehicles equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS).

Radio frequency noise is generated by electrical motors and appliance operation, cellular telephones, remote transmitters, power inverters and portable entertainment equipment.

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then press and release the brake pedal.
Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
Press and release the brake pedal.
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN LF TIRE.
NOTE: It may take up to 6 seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor. During this time, the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool must remain in place 180 degrees from the valve stem.

Place the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool on the LF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem. Press and release the test button on the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the SJB.

Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool on the RF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem and press and release the test button to train the RF tire pressure sensor.

NOTE: Do not wait more than 2 minutes between training each sensor or the SJB will time out and the entire procedure must be repeated.

Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained. When the training procedure is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE.
For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be verified by turning the ignition switch to the OFF position without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when the switch is turned to the OFF position, the training procedure was not successful.
Attached Thumbnails Tire sensor reset-mzuexcoqkl_uvwdrdebkh2w.jpg  

Last edited by GrayPony; 08-04-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:34 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bitter
What does the warning light look like? I thought Ford didn't add TPMS until the 2007 models.
Yeah. I haven't had TPMS on any 05/06 I've had.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
Yeah. I haven't had TPMS on any 05/06 I've had.
I thought that was the case. If you've replaced your valve stems with TPMS stems, there is no reset procedure since they are not supported.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:11 AM
lawnchaircrew

I got new wheels and never transferred my sensors from my old wheels, can you disable it all together so it stops yelling?
Old 08-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

What does the 'Sensor Failure" light looks like Paul?

If the car originally came with TPMS it would have a specific ICON on the Dash and it would display an error where the digital readout is for MPG, Miles, Miles to Empty etc....