Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

GT500 tranny swap or T5 rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 10:43 AM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Default GT500 tranny swap or T5 rebuild?

Fellow stang modders,

I have a 4.0 and I am seriously looking into swapping/fixing my beat up T5 tranny this upcoming winter and I need some advice! Currently my tranny/clutch has 100k and is rough going into reverse, 1st, and sometimes second (especially when its running hot!) I'm unsure of whether just replacing the clutch would resolve my issues or if I am looking at a complete tranny rebuild.. I was seriously looking into the GT500 swap but as expected it looks very expensive. Eventually I'm looking at getting into the 400hp range and obviously I would like to have a reliable setup so I would appreciate some opinions from those that have the experience!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:14 AM
IvanRad
2nd Gear Member

manual or auto? where r u getting the gt500 tranny from? your going to have to change your driveshaft and maybe a pinnion flange, or just upgrade to a 8.8 in rear end
Old 12-15-2014, 08:55 PM
JimC

With your HP goals, get the 8.8" rear end because the 7.5 won't last and don't bother trying to build it up - it will cost you more than a swap.

You can upgrade the transmission but you need an adapter plate to make it work. The only one that I know of is built by member NicePony. (I think that is his screen name here). And yes, this time IvanRad is correct - if you change from the T5 to the GT500 transmission you will need a custom length driveshaft but since it is being built to your specs just have the ends set up to properly mate with the transmission end and whatever rear end you have (the 2005-10 GT and 2011+ Mustangs have different flanges so you have to know which year your rear end came from when you do the swap).
Old 12-16-2014, 06:34 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I will concur on the tranny upgrade rather than mess with the POS T5.
Glad that Ford uses the same hardware on the V6s since 2011.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:04 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

The key word I see here is eventually so I'd caution against spending money on something that might not make sense in the future. A built T-5 or trans swap might be the right move for you but I'm seeing you've already got 100K. So the question is by the time you ready for more power is it still going to make more sense. It may be cheaper to do a complete drive train swap, or maybe simply go with a used GT or newer 3.7.
As far the shifting issues with the T-5 I would suspect worn synchros. Has the fluid been changed regularly and are you using synthetic ATF? If you're over 30K between changes I would start with a fluid change, Mobile1 or Amsoil preferably and see how it goes.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:22 AM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
With your HP goals, get the 8.8" rear end because the 7.5 won't last and don't bother trying to build it up - it will cost you more than a swap.

You can upgrade the transmission but you need an adapter plate to make it work. The only one that I know of is built by member NicePony. (I think that is his screen name here). And yes, this time IvanRad is correct - if you change from the T5 to the GT500 transmission you will need a custom length driveshaft but since it is being built to your specs just have the ends set up to properly mate with the transmission end and whatever rear end you have (the 2005-10 GT and 2011+ Mustangs have different flanges so you have to know which year your rear end came from when you do the swap).
I definitely plan on the 8.8 swap, I can't stand the one wheel peel from the 7.5! And I was looking at the tranny kit on D&D for the GT500 and driveshaft.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:31 AM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
The key word I see here is eventually so I'd caution against spending money on something that might not make sense in the future. A built T-5 or trans swap might be the right move for you but I'm seeing you've already got 100K. So the question is by the time you ready for more power is it still going to make more sense. It may be cheaper to do a complete drive train swap, or maybe simply go with a used GT or newer 3.7.
As far the shifting issues with the T-5 I would suspect worn synchros. Has the fluid been changed regularly and are you using synthetic ATF? If you're over 30K between changes I would start with a fluid change, Mobile1 or Amsoil preferably and see how it goes.
Well I know for sure now that I want the T5 gone! I was under the impression the GT had the same crappy trans as the v6, but that's not the case as I have found out! How are the built GT Trannys? I would also consider this swap as well, it would certainly be cheaper.. thoughts? I'm not sure on what I want to do for the engine yet, I've put serious thoughts into a big motor swap or just beefing up the 4.0 (which may be a better option given the insane gas prices) I'm not really interested in the 3.7 as I love the body style of my 06'.. and I've babied the thing since I've had it, you would never know she's got 100k on her aside from the tranny which has been crap since I got it at 50k!
Old 12-17-2014, 06:35 AM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

I often change my fluids earlier than I should! I always do my oil change around 3-4k Mobil one and she's never burns a drop of oil! Its the only car I've had where I put in 5quarts and come out with 5quarts lol