Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

[video] Mysterious exhaust pop at idle

Old 12-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Levine

Default [video] Mysterious exhaust pop at idle

Hi all !

So I bought 05 v6 5 speed this summer. Very recently, I accidentally noticed that at idle it makes very subtle exhaust pop. Also, once after sitting in a traffic jam for 1 hour the car gave me check engine light that disappeared later with no traces (none in ODBII history).

Upon the purchase of the vehicle I had the spark plugs, wires and coil pack replaced for maintenance purposes.

The mechanic that replaced the plugs didn't get the cylinder 4 plug from the first attempt - he somehow bent the ground wire which resulted in misfire. After the second attempt the misfire went away and the car started driving ok.

Do you have any ideas as to what this might be ?

In the video you can hear the popping at around 1:20

Old 12-22-2014, 07:47 PM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

I've replayed your video several times paying particular attention to 1:20. I hear a click, almost like the shutter click of a camera, but not the pop I was expecting from your description. I don't know what that slight noise is, but I'm surprised you even noticed it. If it were my car, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. Maybe the video didn't capture it as you hear it.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:45 PM
ProjectLacey

Originally Posted by Levine
Hi all !

So I bought 05 v6 5 speed this summer. Very recently, I accidentally noticed that at idle it makes very subtle exhaust pop. Also, once after sitting in a traffic jam for 1 hour the car gave me check engine light that disappeared later with no traces (none in ODBII history).

Upon the purchase of the vehicle I had the spark plugs, wires and coil pack replaced for maintenance purposes.

The mechanic that replaced the plugs didn't get the cylinder 4 plug from the first attempt - he somehow bent the ground wire which resulted in misfire. After the second attempt the misfire went away and the car started driving ok.

Do you have any ideas as to what this might be ?

In the video you can hear the popping at around 1:20

You had a check ENGINE light that came on? Or an oil light? Reason I'm asking is because my 09 began making similar exhaust noises, though I would describe mine more as a "puttering" rather than popping when idle. Also after the engine has warned up, when not accelerating my check oil light would come on. Turns out to be a timing chain error in the engine & causing a loss of oil pressure... Expensive fix & quite uncommon on cars as new & wjthout 100k+ miles...