Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

COOLANT EVERYWHERE :( what's going on??

Old 01-12-2015, 04:14 PM
nikkisusan11

Unhappy COOLANT EVERYWHERE :( what's going on??

So today I was on the freeway driving my normal route to work going about 70mph, nothing crazy. I stepped on the gas to go around someone in the slow lane, again nothing crazy, and that's when everything went bad... All I could see in my rear view window was white smoke so I slowed down and saw it was coming from under my hood and I pulled over. My temp gage was totally normal this whole time, there was no power loss or any loud noises either. The smoke was pouring out of the front of my car and when I finally got the courage to open the hood, there was coolant EVERYEHERE (which I know now is what was making the white smoke). Nothing looks broken, or abnormal under the hood and the car still turns on and sounds normal... The Lower outlet on driver side part of the radiator is where all the coolant looks like it's coming from... Any ideas on what happened?

2006 v6 Ford Mustang fire red s197
Old 01-12-2015, 05:35 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

probably the hose split
Old 01-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

Make sure it's coming from where you suspect it is. Plastic thermostat housings are a well documented source of failure in the S197's.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:28 PM
IvanRad
2nd Gear Member

plastic thermostat buy this
Amazon.com: 2005-2010 Mustang Metal V6 4.0 Thermostat Housing/water Outlet: Automotive Amazon.com: 2005-2010 Mustang Metal V6 4.0 Thermostat Housing/water Outlet: Automotive

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2010-mustang-4-0-metal-thermostat-housing-/301276755702?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46257e76f6&vxp=mtr
Old 01-12-2015, 10:08 PM
JimC

99% chance it is the plastic thermostat housing. Quick and easy fix though.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:25 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nikkisusan11
So today I was on the freeway driving my normal route to work going about 70mph, nothing crazy. I stepped on the gas to go around someone in the slow lane, again nothing crazy, and that's when everything went bad... All I could see in my rear view window was white smoke so I slowed down and saw it was coming from under my hood and I pulled over. My temp gage was totally normal this whole time, there was no power loss or any loud noises either. The smoke was pouring out of the front of my car and when I finally got the courage to open the hood, there was coolant EVERYEHERE (which I know now is what was making the white smoke). Nothing looks broken, or abnormal under the hood and the car still turns on and sounds normal... The Lower outlet on driver side part of the radiator is where all the coolant looks like it's coming from... Any ideas on what happened?

2006 v6 Ford Mustang fire red s197

Hey Nikki,

Sorry to hear about the trouble, that does not sound like a fun commute.

As other people have stated, I would be willing to bet that it is the thermostat housing as they are notorious to crack on the 4.0s.

Luckily it is a quick and fairly cheap fix and you should be back on the road.

Let me know if you have any questions and keep us updated!

-Will
Old 01-14-2015, 11:37 AM
nikkisusan11

After looking around under the hood, you guys are 100% right, the thermostat housing is totally to blame! I picked up the new part from ford today and will try to install it myself tonight! Shouldn't be too hard right? now I just have to hope there is nothing wrong with the radiator! Fingers crossed! I'll keep everyone posted and hopefully get some pics up!
Also wanted to thank all of you for your help, you guys are awesome!
Old 01-14-2015, 05:13 PM
Bitter
2nd Gear Member

You'll do fine. Google 2006 Mustang thermostat housing, select videos and you'll find a number of them that will walk you through it.

Now's probably a good time for a new thermostat if you didn't pick one up already.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:58 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nikkisusan11
After looking around under the hood, you guys are 100% right, the thermostat housing is totally to blame! I picked up the new part from ford today and will try to install it myself tonight! Shouldn't be too hard right? now I just have to hope there is nothing wrong with the radiator! Fingers crossed! I'll keep everyone posted and hopefully get some pics up!
Also wanted to thank all of you for your help, you guys are awesome!

Just curious, how much did that part cost from Ford? I don't need one yet but I am considering purchasing a medal one so when and if that day comes, I'm covered.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:03 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Just curious, how much did that part cost from Ford? I don't need one yet but I am considering purchasing a medal one so when and if that day comes, I'm covered.
$70/$80 or so for the crappy Ford one if I remember correctly.
Get the cast aluminum one, don't play around. It's about twice the price but 10 times the upgrade.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: COOLANT EVERYWHERE :( what's going on??