Leaky pipe - MustangForums.com

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion > 4.0L V6 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Leaky pipe

Old 06-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #1
supv6

Vehicle: 2007, Ford, Mustang
Default Leaky pipe

Hi, I am new to this forum and I've been looking around to see what to call this part that I noticed a leak coming from. I have a 2007 v6 with about 140 thousand mile on it.

I was driving for about 20 minutes the other day and when I got out of the car I noticed a steady stream of fluid coming from a hose located in the corner of the engine compartment closest to the driver. It quickly slowed to a drip and then stopped.
I was told a week or so ago that I have a coolant leak somewhere which needs to be diagnosed; could this be the source?
I don't know much about cars yet, but I followed the pipe back to the radiator, so I thought it might be part of the coolant system. The leaking fluid seemed like water to me. I touched some on the ground and it didn't feel oily, and it was clear.

Could someone tell me what to call this part, and whether or not it's easy to replace? I'd like to do it myself if possible, but I don't know what to search for to buy a replacement.
I also haven't yet decided where exactly the leak is coming from.

I (hopefully) attached a picture with the approximate source of the leak pointed out.
Attached Thumbnails
Leaky pipe-pipe-location.jpg   Leaky pipe-leak-source.jpg  
supv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:16 PM   #2
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: '08 S197 GT

Those look like A/C lines, not coolant lines to be honest.

Coolant lines don't often have metal in them except for maybe an elbow or tight turn.

If they are coolant lines they will be listed as heater hoses or a heater hose assembly.

How is your A/C system working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyz View Post
if you are getting 29mpg in your 5.0, you aren't driving it correctly
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
supv6

I haven't noticed any problems with the AC but the heater was pretty bad this winter. The air temperature wouldn't seems to go up unless the engine was rev-ing high.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Do you think that a leak in the line could cause heater issues like I was having?
Old 06-26-2015, 03:45 PM   #4
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: '08 S197 GT

Yes, a leak in the heater hose could cause issues with the heating inside the car.

How is the coolant level? I would imagine you would need to add coolant often?

If the coolant is low, I would check for other hoses coming out of the firewall for leaks first. Heater hoses are usually rubber. There may be one behind the hose you are looking at that is leaking onto it and making it look like the metal line/hose is leaking.

in fact...have a look at this page (page 2) ...that is your A/C accumulator/receiver-drier and those lines are from the A/C. So that cannot be leaking radiator coolant. Freon yes, coolant no.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...Mustang#Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyz View Post
if you are getting 29mpg in your 5.0, you aren't driving it correctly
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:26 PM   #5
JimC

Vehicle: 2013 MCA convertible

Those aren't coolant lines, AC. AC will drip.

If you are leaking coolant then take a look at the thermostat housing. That is the source for 99% of the coolant leaks on the 4.0. Check the back side to see if it is spraying coolant under your intake manifold. It is often mis-diagnosed as a water pump issue.

The good thing is it is an easy fix, about a half hour.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #6
supv6

Thanks guys.
The coolant leak is pretty slow. I'll be working on my car this week and I'll see what I can find out. Hopefully I'll be able to find the coolant leak.
From what I hear I'm thinking that there is a leak in the AC line and a separate leak for the coolant. I'll be sure to check the thermostat housing first.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:44 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement