Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

need mod ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 07:35 PM
lukemcnally

Default need mod ideas

hey, i just got my first mustang and i am pretty new to the whole mustang experience. i have an 05 4.0l 5 speed premium i bought from an old lady. i assume its all stock. i just purchased a cold air intake and im looking for other CHEAP mods to increase horsepower. if there is anything to help under $100, it will help. please let me know some ideas. thank you.
Attached Thumbnails need mod ideas-img_0938-2-.jpg  
Old 02-11-2016, 07:02 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

Modding these cars aren't cheap, you might want to take a look in the used parts part of the forum to see if you can find anything there. If you havent done it already with that $100 I would probably give it a good tune up to start.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:43 AM
IRISHROUSH

You can look at underdrive pully, drop in fuel pump, maybe injectors, and you need a good tune
Old 02-11-2016, 12:23 PM
JimC

Changing the fuel pump and injectors isn't going to get him anything; only time you change the injectors is with forced induction. Even then, the stock fuel pump should be adequate
Old 02-11-2016, 03:40 PM
IRISHROUSH

you are correct..... I didn;t read he was NA my bad
Old 02-11-2016, 05:02 PM
Granatelli Sales
Former Sponsor

We offer high performance ignition wires and coils for the 4.0L V6.

Wires
http://granatellimotorsports.com/pro...s-1443-21.html

Coil
http://granatellimotorsports.com/pro...l-2338-25.html

Coil and wire kit
http://granatellimotorsports.com/pro...t-1442-25.html

We would be happy to offer you a 20% discount off of your purchase since you are a Mustang forums member.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:04 AM
IRISHROUSH

add a super charger ATI makes a good supercharger for V6. Then work from there... cheap mods aren;t bad but eventually you're gonna want that power
Old 03-23-2016, 07:07 PM
amaNIN
1st Gear Member

The best bang for your buck mod is a gear install($600). Not cheap tho.
The cheapest mod is probably the Dynomax dual exhaust kit($395) besides the CAI. But then you will get bitten by the modding bug and want to get a tuner($400) lol.
Its all worth it IMHO

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-39434/overview/

free shipping from summitracing.com
and then they give you a twenty dollar off coupon for future purchases over $100
Old 03-23-2016, 09:38 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

You can't do anything for $100. Even your cold air kit won't provide significant hp increase that you can really feel. Gears are a really good way to wake up the car and make it feel much more responsive and probably the best bang for the buck. If you want power you can feel, save up for a supercharger. You will be stunned at the results.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:53 PM
Bella05

Originally Posted by lukemcnally
hey, i just got my first mustang and i am pretty new to the whole mustang experience. i have an 05 4.0l 5 speed premium i bought from an old lady. i assume its all stock. i just purchased a cold air intake and im looking for other CHEAP mods to increase horsepower. if there is anything to help under $100, it will help. please let me know some ideas. thank you.
I got the same pony as you except Bella has an automatic transmission. The first 2 things I did to her was a K&N cold air intake system with a slightly modified magnaflow axle-back 2Y-1-1 exhaust. I'll be changing out the muffler tomorrow from the magnaflow 2Y-1-1 to true duals 1-1 sports resonators that i got from my cousin off of his '07 V6 with 3" tips. Abaddon, my cousin's pony, had an amazing sound. Beautiful low rumble at idle and a loud, but not obnoxious, roar when you hit the accelerator. Not sure what all she had under the hood but cruising at interstate speeds (75-90 MPH) she was only turning about 1600-2000 RPM and also was averaging around 24MPG highway and 21MPG city. But Abaddon only ran on 93 octane and thats all I put in Bella. Please excuse my lengthy tangent. Bella is also my first pony as well. The difference i got in HP from the air intake and exhaust was definitely noticeable. Took me from the baseline 210HP@ 5100RPM aand added roughly 20-30HP but changed the sound and acceleration the most. Your not gonna be able to do either the intake or the exhaust for 100 bucks tho unless you happen to find one at a junk yard. Only thing you might can do is upgrade your stock air filter to one that provides more airflow and start running higher quality gas. 87-93 octane. it burns cleaner and makes your engine run smoother and i noticed a slightly quicker throttle response vs using regular gas. Good luck on your build. Keep updates posted.

Quick Reply: need mod ideas