Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 02:13 PM
lukemcnally

Default exhaust questions

i have an 05 v6 and im still new to modding. im only in high school, but i want to get a true dual exhaust. i was looking on summit and came across this x-pipe. just about everything on my stang is stock. i have a cold air intake but i want to tune it after i get the dual exhaust. if i purchase this dual exhaust, what else do i need besides mufflers? will my headers work with this? please let me know. also im not rolling around in $$ so if there are cheaper alternatives, im open minded

thank you

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-xfm44/overview/
Old 03-27-2016, 03:06 PM
lukemcnally

another question... what would it take to put on a whole stock gt exhaust system? i have a mechanical side and if i need to fab, i do mig weld pretty well.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:09 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

I used that X-pipe, the left GT Over axle pipe and a set of GT mufflers on mine. You will also need the Hangers for the left muffler http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...s-hangers.html
Old 03-27-2016, 05:13 PM
JimC

You will need to get the clamps that change from the 2.25" down tubes to the 2.5" - just like you have now on the passenger side where the down tube mates up. You can use your existing passenger side mid/over-axle pipe because it is the same as on the GT.

Getting the GT exhaust is almost plug and play. I had the X pipe welded on to my down tubes (after the cat I am talking about).

Cut your bumper for the driver side muffler - very easy to do.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:16 PM
JimC

Oh, and don't get sucked in to buying a "GT500" exhaust system and paying more for it. The GT500 up until the 2010 model year didn't use anything special. It was the same as the GT for an automatic. I see people paying extra for the GT500 connection and not realizing that they are getting a stock GT system.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:32 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

complete kit
http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...l-catback.html

or if you want to get mufflers on your own.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-v6-xpipe-0510.html
Old 03-28-2016, 08:04 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JJHoover
Just for clarification.... if I bought that complete kit would I need anything else? I've always leaned away from exhaust because I don't want to cut or weld anything. Does this complete kit have everything I need and will it bolt onto the car without modification? I would bet a lower valence in the rear for both of the pipes would be in order, but again, not sure.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:07 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, my car is a 2006 V6, 5 speed.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:34 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 66and06stangs
Just for clarification.... if I bought that complete kit would I need anything else? I've always leaned away from exhaust because I don't want to cut or weld anything. Does this complete kit have everything I need and will it bolt onto the car without modification? I would bet a lower valence in the rear for both of the pipes would be in order, but again, not sure.
yes if I recall correctly that is all you will need it even includes a template to cutout your rear bumper for the left side exhaust. if you want to be sure American Muscle has a live chat feature that will be able to clarify.

personally if you have the extra money I would go for this
http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...ck-0510v6.html

Last edited by JJHoover; 03-28-2016 at 02:35 PM. Reason: add a link
Old 03-29-2016, 07:27 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Hoover, why would you do this over the other complete kit? This has me intrigued, not sure I want to do it but sounds like a fun project. The difference in 100 bucks doesn't scare me if the reasons are right.

Quick Reply: exhaust questions