Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

New user, New mustang need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 02:24 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by ArchNemesis
Hi guys, I'm pretty new to the forums here, Just got me a mustang, Was looking for a project, just got a little more work than i was anticipating.

Lets start at the beginning, i started looking at mustangs a while back comparing all the years pros/cons, V8 vs. V6 etc, I had originally decided to get an oldschool 95 GT.

But they are so hard to come by these days that it was getting frustrating finding one in decent shape for the money i was willing to pay, I really didn't want a V6.

I looked and looked, and every 95-ish GT that was in good shape the guys were trying to get 5K+ out of and i just didn't feel like that that car was worth that kind of money even in excellent shape.

Looked into 99+ SN95s but i wasn't a huge fan of the 2V and the problem was similar while not as bad, finding one in good enough shape was proving difficult.

By this point i was getting discouraged and even had to consider some of the old Chevy LS stuff, But i came to the conclusion that i just didn't like the body style enough to be satisfied.

And then, Out of nowhere, Comes what appears to be the deal of a lifetime, 2006 Mustang GT full body kit custom "functional" RAM Air Hood, custom paint, shaved doors and 22" wheels (a tad big for me but they look alright) Guy wanted 5K for it, i happened to have an older car the guy was interested in so i ended up getting it for the car + 2k Combined value maybe $4k.

And here come the problems, I would like to say at this point a lot of this is entirely my own fault for not checking and confirming for myself, The car rolls up and looks pretty damn good, sounds decent too albeit a bit loud (just wait) i was feeling very rushed through the whole thing guy claimed he was moving across the country and had another guy going to the bank, So knowing how much time i spent looking for other ones, i felt like i had to make a move if i was going to.

Well after i start examining the car in more detail i discovered that the car wasn't a GT it was a damn V6 (insert laughter here) Yeah its on me i didn't check, The ****in thing was shooting straight pipes (which i didn't know) At the time i figured it sounds pretty beefy.

Moving on, Yeah not a 2006, its a 2005, Like i said i felt pretty rushed through the whole thing and as i have explained was a bit discouraged about other deals i was finding, I let the notary handle all the paperwork as i figured it was their job to verify everything (at least every time i've ever seen them do it they do)

After fuming for a day or so i started to think about it and figured, you know i still got a steal on that thing, Especially with the full kit and wheels, And while it might be a V6 its making about the same power as the 95 GT.

So, trying to embrace the deal, However as i said i wanted a project, its just now much bigger of a project than i wanted, I've been considering my options and the 4.0 SOHC isn't a bad motor at all, but i really would like a bit more power.

If i could get 300RWHP i think i'd be happy, But the 4.0 has almost NO aftermarket with exception of a few extremely priced manufactures, the most disappointing is no cam profiles due to their weird cams, as i'm sure everyone knows about the SSM cams but they are regrinds and i'm not super impressed with what i've seen of them.

So i've been considering what the easiest way to get to 300RWHP, and i've figured a turbo would probably be the way to go, But i'm worried about detonation with the stock hyper- pistons, SSM makes forged pistons but they are so god awful expensive that its not funny, and on top of the money there is a the performance limit on the 4.0 to the point that i'm not sure i want to sink a ton of money in a fully built 4.0.

I was thinking about a aftermarket set of hyper- pistons and maybe a water-meth kit to reduce detonation (however having to fill it all the time would be annoying)

I've also considered a V8 swap, i could possibly pickup a wrecked/salvage 3V GT for a few hundred bucks if i get lucky, this should include everything i would need for the swap motor, ecu, harness, trans, driveshaft, rear diff, and axles, plus some extras like seats etc.

However the obvious thing is it would be an absolute ton of work even having everything from a doner.

Like i say i would be pretty happy with 300RWHP i think, and the 4.0 can do that add in 3.73s and a LSD and it would be enough for the casual street pull. Overall i'm just kinda terrified by the idea (pre) detonation.

So i'm looking for some advice here, from guys that have done both, which is going to be the best road to take here, Will aftermarket "performance" hyper- pistons hold up better to detonation, How much risk of detonation would i have lets say worst case scenario 87 octane stock internals 10 psi single turbo with inter-cooler and somewhere close to 300RWHP.

P.S the one thing i ask is for you not to say (Sell it and buy a GT, Sorry not going through that again)

I thank you all for your advice.
Before you put any money into it, check the VIN with the local dmv office. I've heard of scams where the car was stolen and the title used was fake. Eventually the police figure out where the car is and reposes it. The unsuspecting owner is now out his money and his wheels which weren't his to begin with.

A Notary's only job is to legally confirm that the person signing the paper work is indeed who they say they are. That's it. They do not check the validity of the documents. That's what a lawyer does.

Also, I'm curious where you got Mustang GT out of the description? Was it advertised as such or did you assume it? Just curious since the guy really seemed to be sleazy with moving and 'having a guy heading to the bank' .

Not trying to be a downer but you should really check things out before you go any further given that the deal (as you have it described) was shady IMO.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:06 PM
ArchNemesis

Yeah... its already been checked, also contacted the previous, previous owner as well to confirm he sold it.

And to answer your question, yes it was advertised as a GT thought I said that in the OP, guess not, I certainly wouldn't have assumed it though.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:34 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I would say you got a super deal whether it was a GT or regular Mustang.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:19 PM
ArchNemesis

Originally Posted by movielover40
I would say you got a super deal whether it was a GT or regular Mustang.
Yea I kinda come to that conclusion after the initial aggravation wore off, and for the power levels im after the 4.0 will do just fine.

A modest turbo setup, Some rear end work and she'll be more than enough.

Even managed to get a nice exhaust note from the 4.0 using GT mufflers.