Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 10:23 PM
mustangcr8z

Default transmission

The transmission sometimes is hard to shift, if your idling and take it out of gear it's next to impossible to get back in gear usually have to turn motor off put in gear, then all is good. I'm thinking slave cylinder! any thoughts?
Old 02-16-2017, 01:50 PM
don-ohio
1st Gear Member

Yeah,might be air in the slave. I've never researched this problem in the Mustang. I suppose it has that rotten slave INSIDE the bell housing? I can look it up here in the Haynes manual. don-ohio (:^)
Old 02-16-2017, 02:07 PM
don-ohio
1st Gear Member

Okay,I went to the Haynes,which is all I've got right now. The manual says you make sure the BRAKE cyl. is topped up(don't let it get low or you'll have air in BOTH brake and clutch systems), and then you have a person push and hole the CLUTCH pedal to the floor.
Open the bleeder and let air and fluid come out,then shut the bleeder. THEN the person can let up on the clutch pedal.
Repeat this until no more air.
If you get continual air it means the clutch master cyl. or slave is letting air in when pedal is let up. don-ohio (:^)
Old 02-17-2017, 02:29 AM
mustangcr8z

Default transmission

Just like bleeding brakes brake fluid has never been low car has 85,000 miles on it.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:58 AM
Stangbass
2nd Gear Member

I just recently went through this. Mine ended up being a disintegrated pilot bearing. I though mine was the slave as well and ended up having to pull the transmission twice when that didn't fix the problem.(fun times)

It would have to either be a mechanical or hydraulic issue. The mechanical issues that would cause this would be, Pilot bearing seized and not letting go of the input shaft, or a bad clutch pressure plate that won't disengage from the flywheel. Also toasted bearing's on the slave.

The hydraulic issues would be, leaking slave, leaking clutch master cylinder, or air in the system.

The hydraulics would be easy enough to check. Just get the car in gear, disengage the clutch and hold it to the floor. If one of your components is leaking the system will eventually lose pressure the clutch will start to engage on it's own.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:53 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Stangbass

How did you get your car that high?
Old 02-18-2017, 06:20 PM
Stangbass
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
How did you get your car that high?
Floor jack onto jack stands, then I use a 2.5 ton scissor jack on some wooden blocks to hoist it up onto the crib wheel stands.