4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

What to look for in a GT? Reliability? Common Problems?

Old 01-20-2009, 10:45 PM
koocuz

Default What to look for in a GT? Reliability? Common Problems?

Hi guys, I used to have a 2001 V6 and its time to find a real GT! :-)

Is there certain years I should stay away from? I am looking at 99-04 years. Do all the GT's have the same block? I have heard of severe timing chain tentioner problems, is this common on all GT's?

Are these reliable engines/tranny's(5spd)?

Should I stay away from modified ones? Supercharged, ect.

Any tips would be great. I dont know why anyone would buy anything else when these are so cheap with fairly low miles.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:17 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Originally Posted by koocuz
Hi guys, I used to have a 2001 V6 and its time to find a real GT! :-)

Is there certain years I should stay away from? I am looking at 99-04 years. Do all the GT's have the same block? I have heard of severe timing chain tentioner problems, is this common on all GT's?

Are these reliable engines/tranny's(5spd)?

Should I stay away from modified ones? Supercharged, ect.

Any tips would be great. I dont know why anyone would buy anything else when these are so cheap with fairly low miles.

Thanks!
99-04 GT's have the same blocks and for the most part, the same equipment.
If you can, obviously, try and get a later year (2003, 2004) where a lot of the kinks and issues were hammered out. Keep in mind, the 4.6L has been with Ford for a long time, they've had plenty of time to find and fix any problems.

The chain tenshioner isn't really a huge problem with these cars, it happens but it's not common. Most of the failures occur just like every other car: fuel pump, starter, alternator, MAF, IAC, etc. are much more common, and thankfully, easy to fix.

I've heard that the engines on these cars can last 180,000+ depending on whether or not you take good care of her. Yes, the trannys are pretty great in these cars, one of the things Ford is known for: drive trains.

I'd shun any modded Mustangs, especially Supercharged. Why? Because it's obvious that person beat the chit out of that Mustang and used it to race. Also, you don't know whether the parts were put on by a good shop, they could have been put on by some guy in his backyard. Added, theres no lemon laws for used cars from private parties means you could be stuck with a broken down Mustang.

Good luck, and god speed!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:32 PM
dennis_112
3rd Gear Member

"I'd shun any modded Mustangs, especially Supercharged. Why? Because it's obvious that person beat the chit out of that Mustang and used it to race. Also, you don't know whether the parts were put on by a good shop, they could have been put on by some guy in his backyard. Added, theres no lemon laws for used cars from private parties means you could be stuck with a broken down Mustang."

Hey!!! My car is taking care of better then most...that hurts!
Old 01-21-2009, 02:00 AM
Nrre
1st Gear Member

if it says "FORD" anywhere in the cars name...id stay away from it.

make sure you get a CARFAX report on the car. Check body panel alignment, paint differences to see if it could of been in a collision etc.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:13 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Try going for 03-04 ones as I think Ford did all the fixes for these years. If you're looking for a 5spd then they are known to potentially have problems so make sure you test the transmission real good and at all RPM's. Ford switched transmissions midway through 01 from the super **** T-45 to the pretty **** TR3650 so if you are looking at an 01 then it would be nice to have one with the slightly better TR3650. I forgot exactly how you are suppose to check for it but I think theres a distinguishing code in the door panel label. But then again like I said try going for the later (03-04) ones.

By the way especially how you even said how cheap Mustangs are going for these days, you might seriously want to consider an 01 cobra or 03-04 Mach 1 or Cobra instead.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Roadster

I bought my 2000 GT with 60k. It now has 97k and the only problem I've had was the IAC. That part cost 50 bucks and about five minutes of my time to replace.

It's a 5-speed and I do drive it hard from time to time. The tranny has been problem free.

I'd say our cars are reliable.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:20 AM
avexhype
3rd Gear Member

try and find an 03-04 with a t45
Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

bought mine with 125K now has 135k only problem was the clutch gave out about 2 weeks ago, but i guess thats expected with the age and use of the car
Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

mine has 73k and i get on it atleast once a day if not more andit runs perfect
Old 01-21-2009, 12:13 PM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

I'll take a well maintained Ford over a neglected Honda or ________ anyday. It's all about how it was driven and maintained. Mine's modded, although slightly, but I honestly drive the thing like an old man for the most part, so you can't really say just because a guy has mods that he beats the schitt out of it. However...you will never know for sure, so yes it would be better in my opinion to buy an unmodded one. Engine and drivetrain on mine has been super solid. Doesnt burn or leak a drop of anything. Ive got 78K on it. Be sure and find out someone has meticulously maintained.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to look for in a GT? Reliability? Common Problems?