4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

stock gt’s run

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 12:35 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

Default RE: stock gt’s run

ORIGINAL: ST0NER

My 98 conv GT out ran a camaro on a highway 5 mile race and I wasnt running on overdrive. 98 stocks are allright. I am running my stock till it cant breath so i have reason to fix it and mod the whole car. Just need to stay away from the cops or i won't have no money for mods. Going 145 like it's nothing can get you into trouble. Especially when the speed limit is 60. There was two different engine makes on the 98's. The last engine will run it up.

uh....that is highly doubtful, unless it was a v6 or an old beater Camaro from the early 80's. 98 GT's will run with my Maxima, about a 15 - 15.5 in the 1/4. A newer model Camaro would have eaten you alive, expecially on the highway. There's this little thing called gobs of HP and torque that yee have very little of. Also aerodynamics are way more in favor of the Camaro in a top speed competition. Your car won't even run 145mph, it's a fact. Sooooo, unless you're highly modded, you're filling us full of which I'm sure no one is gonna appreciate. Who races for 5 miles???
Old 02-17-2004, 05:48 PM
ST0NER

****QUOTE*****

uh....that is highly doubtful, unless it was a v6 or an old beater Camaro from the early 80's. 98 GT's will run with my Maxima, about a 15 - 15.5 in the 1/4. A newer model Camaro would have eaten you alive, expecially on the highway. There's this little thing called gobs of HP and torque that yee have very little of. Also aerodynamics are way more in favor of the Camaro in a top speed competition. Your car won't even run 145mph, it's a fact. Sooooo, unless you're highly modded, you're filling us full of which I'm sure no one is gonna appreciate. Who races for 5 miles???
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK first of all my gt is convertible and it's running with bosch platinum's plus 4. That is the only non stock object. aerodynamics don't mean **** when you got weight in the favor. camaro sits close to the ground and with that being like that it gaps more wind than it will cut. and i can run my car up to 178 with stead. after that it gets a little shaky. hp is all that matters tourqe isnt gonna do **** if yuou have a lighter car.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:05 PM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

I agree with him about aerodynamics not meaning much. Maybe the Camaro is more aerodynamic but not enough to make a huge difference. If you can get your car going 178 mph then you have got to have more mods than that. You definetely would have to have your restrictor removed. As for torque not doing anything. I completely disagree with that. Torque is what wins races. Why do you think mustangs can run all over civics so easily even though the civics weight so much less. Its because they have no torque.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:41 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

****QUOTE*****

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK first of all my gt is convertible and it's running with bosch platinum's plus 4. That is the only non stock object. aerodynamics don't mean **** when you got weight in the favor. camaro sits close to the ground and with that being like that it gaps more wind than it will cut. and i can run my car up to 178 with stead. after that it gets a little shaky. hp is all that matters tourqe isnt gonna do **** if yuou have a lighter car.

I belive that...about as far as I can push a house.

178mph? maybe 178KPH...

Stoner you are so full of crap. I haven't seen stock GT get over 155. Even then it was a 99+ with the restrictor removed. Your 98 convert has less power ways way more and has poor aerodynamics compared to a coupe. I bet you will say the top was down when you did all this too.... Don't even try though. I have a video of a 99-01 Cobra convert on the autobahn with the top down racing with 2 Carrera GT's. The mustang hits about 160 and stops and the GT's keep on going. So you are telling me you 220hp car can out run an underrated 300hp+ cobra mustang? Yeah I thought not....

That BS about a camaro being closer to the ground makes it slower? What are you smoking, oh wait I know. The camaro is better for top end speed, that lower profile keeps it on the ground as opposed to your high stance. On top of that the only camaro you could dream of keeping up with is a 80's camaro or a new V6. 99+ mustangs are the only stock mustangs that can compete with a newer camaro and the camaro has to have the LT1 stopped being but in camaros in 1998 I believe, if it has an LS6 the mustang is done for, stock for stock.
If your going to BS a story atleast make it somewhat believeable.......

5miles your are a freaking idiot, considering the lifes you must have put in danger racing for a distance like that.

I hope you do get bagged by the cops and they take your license away. It will be one less idiot on the road.

I just came to a conlucsion...your must be a ricer because you said "who needs aerodynamics when you have weight on you side" I have heard ricers say that the heavier the car the faster it can go because of momentum.
You are such a tard go lite up another one and post somewhere else.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:09 PM
wpix
1st Gear Member

****QUOTE*****

Look, Stoner, why are you insulting our intelligence? First off, a 98 Gt is rated at 225 Flywheel horse power which equates to approximately 183 at the wheel -- this rating pertains to a NEW 4.6, not a tired, old, beat up engine. Let's say, however, that your 4.6 is running at it's optimum. Your stock 3500 lb Stang will not do 14.75 as you stated. IMPOSSIBLE. Will not happen, not in a million runs. I don't care what brand plugs you use. Realistically, your looking runs at 16.80ish. Your top end should be around 122 or so. How you run at 170 + mph is totally beyond any figment of the imagination. But I understand, we all want to own the baddest Stang around. When anyone exaggerates, it stands out real bad. Also, don't get so hot headed. You words make you look real bad.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:26 PM
w11988
1st Gear Member

16.8ish? Damn that's pretty harsh wpix. Doesn't a Chevette run 16.8?
Old 02-18-2004, 01:10 AM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

Yea 16.8 sounds a bit high to me also. I own a 96 GT Hardtop havent taken it to the drags yet but I've heard my car is suppose to run low 15's. I understand its a convertible so it will add weight but I dont think the extra 200-300 lbs is gonna put a whole almost 2 seconds on the quarter mile time.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:29 AM
ST0NER

First things first.

Exaggiration is not needed. When i say stock you all thinking came out of the plant just the same as the rest of the other mustangs with no mods. Ok what your not understanding is 98 their was 2 styles of 98 mustang gt conv made. 178 is nothing when your on a bridge and the uplift of the air gives cars that sit up higher more speed with the less aerodynamics than the ones that sit low. The camaro was a gt. it was lowered wich caused it to gap air the whole way down the bridge. for as my mustang gt (with the top down for the smart ***) didn't gap as much due to the fact as it had less space to gap air wich would cause it to hold back. If i was exxaggirating i would of said i went 400mph and did a back flip onto a bed of a empty semi then did a roll off back onto the bridge and jumped off the bridge and landed in a beautiful flower patch in ****in wonderland. Now if i was on a road their would be no competetion i would lose beacuse the air comes at you mor way than one. Torque doesnt mean **** on a bridge because you got to watch out for fly backs (for the super member's with not enough knowledge that is when your car stalls like a plane will) Because it is taking to much air under the hood doing a uplift and your front heavy. Now like me i am back heavy wich keeps my back tires down. To put people in danger i wish i could of because thats when i drive the best but sorry the bridge was held off. I really dont need to prove myself to you but i want you to know i dont know a whole hell of alot but what i do know is what i say. I have need to lie or feed u a doggy bowl of ****. Your dont have to reply to a forum with a attitude that bites *** simply say what you need to say and help a person out if he or she is wrong or agree with them. No need for hte extra bull****. You all seem you know what your talking about and your sure your right. None of us know it all. I am more into body work than racing. I am a show person. Beign in the military i go to shows all over.I recently in the last 9 months killed my mustang gt so i bought another one. Once you been in a wreck you really dont want to race no more. For me i dont.

Thank you for your inputs but say what u got to say and get done with it.

Dusty

(i apoligize for my spelling i dont have time to fix it all i am at work and busy.)
Old 02-18-2004, 11:52 AM
NJStang

For whatever it's worth, I have a stock 98 GT hardtop automatic, with only a K&N filter, and my best run was 14.72 @ 92 MPH, this was on a cool fall evening. Weight is 3440 lbs. on the scales.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:52 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

HEY GUYZ!!! I can relate to Stoner! When I installed my NGK-TR55IX's...I got a 40rwhp gain!! I also watched 2F2F, which magically added another .8 liters of displacement to my 99+ GT (which I have had to 202.56mph incidentally), & yea...my aerodynamics are so much better than any Camaro that is shaped like an arrow instead of a box all I need are wings & I could fly![]

Seriously, Stoner...stop posting b.s.. The only way you beat a comaro w/a stock HEAVY vert w/crappy stock hp/ft-lbs is if he let you, or it was a V6. Ever think just, because you were giving it all you had...he was just playing w/ya? BTW...you car did NOT do 178mph! Stock, my '02 struggled to get to 140mph. I've had it up to 149mph, & ran out of room to keep going, but my car has a more than just aftermarket plugs. You did give me a good laugh this morning though...thanks.

BTW...lamonte...you are looking at 15's (maybe low 14's) w/that car stock, but if you know the difference between hp, & rwhp & are REALLY pushing 215rwhp you should have had a dyno by now, & no doubt been to the track to find out yourself. If it is a stock 97 GT, you just don't know the difference between hp, & rwhp, so I call "B.S." on a 14.75et & 215rwhp stock motor. With that kind of rwhp on a 97, you should have invested in some DR's by now, & done some gearing, & chassis stabilization, so...let's hear about some modifications.

Quick Reply: stock gt’s run