4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Smokin a LT1

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 12:52 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Smokin a LT1

I don't get that shift lock thing. I used to know a guy who had a wicked 01 trans am 6 speed and he had that thing disabled. So with that setup it doesn't bog the engine to go from 1st to 4th? Must be close ratios...

eh that's just my $.02, but it sounds like you could own him

George
Old 03-13-2006, 12:53 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangc83

well they do well a 94-97 trans am 6 speed, to all you cobra owners you should know this he has a t-56. My roomate owns one. He has a 95. Well one thing you have on him is he has skip shift and that screws up a LOT of trans ams because they have to wait for the skip shift to back off before they can shift to 2nd, second i do not think at all that he will be even close to 275 at the rear wheel. Well one thing that we have above the older trans ams is technology, we have way better throttle response and we have more hp to the rear wheel. So i think that you have nothing to worry about. You should be able to play with him like a 4 year old. I do it all the time to my roomys 95 trans am.
He is auto. Theres no way he has more hp to the wheel than an LT1 turning a T56. NO chance in hell.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:00 AM
stangc83
3rd Gear Member

my roomate has a t-56 6 speed with a hurst short shifter. I walk him like a dog whenever we get next to each other at the line. and i do believe his car is lighter than mine. I will have to double check, but don't mark my word on that, i will check tomorrow. If you want me to get my roomate on the phone right now i will let you talk to him. The 94-97 trans am engine was a piece, the best thing that they could do was rebuild to an LT4 or LS1. I know that you will beat him as long as you can shift right. The only thing that will keep him clsoe is the 6 speed transmission.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:08 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

my roomate has a t-56 6 speed with a hurst short shifter. I walk him like a dog whenever we get next to each other at the line. and i do believe his car is lighter than mine. I will have to double check, but don't mark my word on that, i will check tomorrow. If you want me to get my roomate on the phone right now i will let you talk to him. The 94-97 trans am engine was a piece, the best thing that they could do was rebuild to an LT4 or LS1. I know that you will beat him as long as you can shift right. The only thing that will keep him clsoe is the 6 speed transmission.
The Trans am was 3500lbs in 96. Pretty damn heavy. Maybe his car isnt running properly, cuz those things are PERFECT matches for 99-04 Gt's. Its a drivers race from a dig. I think the LT1 would still pull on the topend.

And remember that the guy who asked the question is an auto. Stock he would get raped, but his mods will put him alot closer.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:17 AM
stangc83
3rd Gear Member

ok i did not read that he had an auto because an auto comes with a lower gear ratio too. but his car was running like **** for awhile but not it runs very good.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:32 AM
steeda3
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

The Trans am was 3500lbs in 96. Pretty damn heavy. Maybe his car isnt running properly, cuz those things are PERFECT matches for 99-04 Gt's. Its a drivers race from a dig. I think the LT1 would still pull on the topend.

And remember that the guy who asked the question is an auto. Stock he would get raped, but his mods will put him alot closer.
Yeah with those mods he will be able to beat this guy in the quarter...But there's no way he's gonna beat one on top end...The LT1 totally destroy's a 99-04 GT on topend....Those cars are only a few seconds behind the LS1....People really hype up the LS1 and put down the LT1's....but honestly both are really fast cars at any speed....

Here's an example of the LT1 dominace over the GT.....Motor week did some long term test and a 95 LT1 (stock) with 70,000 miles went from 0-130 in about 26 seconds....They compared a 99 Mustang GT with 22,000 miles and it took 38 seconds......That's a 12 second difference from 0-130.....I hate to say it...but the LT1 hauls on topend....I would run him from 0-100 nothing after that...lol
Old 03-13-2006, 02:52 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

ok i did not read that he had an auto because an auto comes with a lower gear ratio too. but his car was running like **** for awhile but not it runs very good.
I got these times from my everyday driver site so you don't have professional stats in your face... but this is the average of what is submitted as far as time on your car and his... 1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.7 14.2
1999 Ford Mustang GT 5.5 14.1

with those mods I garuntee you will be able to wave at him by at least a car length...
Old 03-13-2006, 02:55 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bharsen

I got these times from my everyday driver site so you don't have professional stats in your face... but this is the average of what is submitted as far as time on your car and his... 1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.7 14.2

with those mods I garuntee you will be able to wave at him by at least a car length...

Can you people read???? Those times you posted were for a manual!!!!!!!! He IS AUTO! Its not the same.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:04 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: steeda3

Yeah with those mods he will be able to beat this guy in the quarter...But there's no way he's gonna beat one on top end...The LT1 totally destroy's a 99-04 GT on topend....Those cars are only a few seconds behind the LS1....People really hype up the LS1 and put down the LT1's....but honestly both are really fast cars at any speed....

Here's an example of the LT1 dominace over the GT.....Motor week did some long term test and a 95 LT1 (stock) with 70,000 miles went from 0-130 in about 26 seconds....They compared a 99 Mustang GT with 22,000 miles and it took 38 seconds......That's a 12 second difference from 0-130.....I hate to say it...but the LT1 hauls on topend....I would run him from 0-100 nothing after that...lol

Im not buying it buddy. OK so it takes the GT 14 sec to get to 100 right??????? U think it takes 24 seconds to get 30mph more? DAMN. Thats terrible.
Ok let's think about this rationally. At 130mph. you are traveling 190ft/sec. Do you get that? lol. so the LT1 is 12 seconds faster. 12 seconds x 190ft/sec is 2288 ft. (.4 miles) ahead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No effing way. Thats ~19 cars.

So lets say the Gt and LT1 are DEAD EVEN at 100mph. So the LT1 is gonna dish out 19carlength win from 100-130mph???? Thats comical.

Im not saying you are lying, but thats one of the dumbest articles ive ever heard about.

Again, I dont and never did think that you made it up. I believe you, but I dont believe that article. Ive seen articles about how fast civics are. Do you believe that? You have to think about it rationally. 20 carlengths? U CANNOT BELIEVE THAT!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2006, 03:05 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

ORIGINAL: bharsen

Can you people read???? Those times you posted were for a manual!!!!!!!! He IS AUTO! Its not the same.
damn my bad... I thought the LT-1 was auto... but I still think he could lay a whoopin

Quick Reply: Smokin a LT1