4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 02:18 PM
LINEITUP

Default Intake

I LOVE THE MAC COLDAIR FENDERWELL KIT. ITS EASY TO INSTALL, ITS LOUD AND PERFORMS WELL, AND IT ALSO LOOKS GOOD. IF YOUR GONNA MOD YOUR STANG DONT DO THE HOMEMADE JOBS THEY LOOK LIKE CRAP AND CHANCES ARE YOU DONT KNOW FOR SURE IF ITS HELPING OR HURTING. I HOPE I COULD HELP
Old 05-14-2003, 05:35 PM
jeep45238
I ♥ Acer

Default Intake

Line it up....who cares what it looks like dude? Long as it's functional. Any stinkin tube with a filter on the end is an improvement over just about ANY stock configuration with the box (minus the Mach 1....better leave that puppy stock for now untill you plan something real good up).

On top of that fact, AEM does NOT make an intake set up for any Ford car besides the Focus. J3r3my, please check the products available before suggesting something. Ractive=crap. Get any oilable cotton cone filter and slap it on the end of the intake tract. Remove the airbox and put it where the tube ends. Garanteed power, for $20 or less, the price of the filter.

Durton, you don't need to weld JACK for the sensor. Why? Because the 02 sensor is in the exhaust, not the intake. You would have been better off with just the filter. What to do about the intake teperature sensor (assuming 'stangs have them....can't think of an EFI car that doesn't), just drill out a hole the overall dia of the sensor in the plasic. Go to AutoZone (or Home Depot, ect.) and buy a rubber grommet that will fit the hole. Put it in the hole. You now have something for the threads of the sensor to grab hold of, and will measure the actual intake tempurater, for literally $4 or less.

Grand total : less than $30. Getting creative with exhaust pipe works slightly better, can be painted flat black, and will run much less than $60 for mandrel bent peices (use radiator hose bought from a desiel shop to connect the peices. The hoses run big enough to use, are flexible, allow for engine movement if the filter end can't move much, and can be clamped with worm gears).
Old 05-14-2003, 06:01 PM
fast4rds

Default Intake

ok then, whats the little sensor just behind the airbox that plugs into the intake tube? And how about those two lines from around the uper intake? Just ignore them i guess. Get something thats proven...Ive fabricated alot of sh*t, and the air system is forgiving enough to mod without kits, but I dont recomend it.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:24 AM
jeep45238
I ♥ Acer

Default Intake

O2 is ALWAYS in the exhaust, it lets the computer know if it's squirting in enough or too much fuel.

My guess (I have a saturn, so this is just logical to me) would be the IAT sensor. Intake air temperature.

Those 2 lines, they're usually coolant lines going to the TB. They make sure that the throttle plate doesn't freeze up during cold weather, which rarely happens. SBC's have gained 10 HP or so by bypassing it.

It's a freaking tube, why the hell reccomend against it? A kindergardener could do a decent job at it.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:38 PM
tggnatsum79

Default Intake

Okay Ive said this before, I guess Ill say it again. If you go to www.Mustangworld.com They show how-to make your own CAI system. Its not that hard and its cheeper than any other. It uses plumbing pieces and pvc pipes. The rubber pieces I found were black and so is 98% of the things under my hood and the pvc is white and so is my car, so it looks good without even painting. As far as performance I read a handful of product profiles on CAI's, Bigger openings = more air and more O2. Cold air vs. warm, cold air has a higher O2 concentrate. Thats why you would want to go with a fender mount also. Clean, freash, cold air, will maximize your cars performance. Do your own reasearch, you'll see. Email me if you have any thing else or you cant find the section on the web site...
Old 05-16-2003, 03:41 AM
jeep45238
I ♥ Acer

Default Intake

Don't use PVC, PLEASE DON'T use pvc.

When it's heated,it releases chlorine gas, which is HIGHLY toxic. Use ABS or exhaust pipe instead.
Old 05-17-2003, 05:02 PM
gtmustangmiguel
1st Gear Member

Default Intake

Noslow50, you had mentioned something about changing your intake from a 4.6l to a bullitt intake...By doing this..Let's say you want to run a supercharger, turbo, or a Noszle(nos kit for only the 4.6l), would I still be a ble to use the bullitt intake or would i have to change back to the stock intake to use any ofthese increasing power appilcations?

If anybody knows anything about this, then please help...thanks
Old 05-17-2003, 06:15 PM
-281 2V-

Default Intake

The Bullitt really shines over the stock intake under boost. I don't know of any tests using the Bullitt intake with nitrous, but I would guess it helps there as well. The Noszle kit and the Bullitt intake would run around $2.5k-$3k together!! Haven't seen that system on a Bullitt IM, but its foggers piggyback the fuel injectors, so I'm sure it's possible.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:17 PM
-281 2V-

Default Intake

Whoops... Thread hijacked!
Old 05-19-2003, 12:39 PM
tggnatsum79

Default Intake

Hey thanks for the info jeep45238. I did some reading on the subject and you were right, I thought that type of stuff only applied to Microwaving plastic bowls and stuff. Oh ya I changed it over this past weekend and all is Ok, I ended up using a 4" piece of dryer vent pipe to replace the 90 degree PVC elbow. It still looks good... but I really dont care how it looks as long as it works.

Quick Reply: Intake