4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bunch of stuff on the way, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 04:44 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default Bunch of stuff on the way, need some advice

Ok so I ordered a set of BBK full length headers, BBK x-pipe, and a 70MM bbk T/B.

I still need:

1. New Clutch
2. Underdrive pullys
3. C&L Plenum

Anybody change out a stock clutch? Am I stupid for doing so? Will be installing the new T45 when I do the headers/xpipe, so figured with the trannie out might as well do the clutch. Is the stock one more than enough? Planning on more power adders down the road.

Anybody know where to buy the plenum? Their stupid website doesnt have any links.

Also, anyone have close to these mods, or any idea what it should be putting out at the flywheel? Will have diablo chip/throttle body/K&N, xpipe, FL headers, flowmaster mufflers,plenum, and underdrive pullys. Am I hoping for to much by thinking somewhere around 300 to 310?

Any guesses on 1/4 mile w/ the 3.73s? dont have a local track, will be a while before I get to run it.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:42 AM
2001SilverGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Bunch of stuff on the way, need some advice

300??? Not to sure but somewhere around there..

C&L 85mm MAF system with Trueflow inlet pipe
Steeda Timing Adjuster (set a 14 degrees)
Magnaflow Cat X-pipe
Magnapack Cat-Back
4.10 gears

After switching out the stock plenum and throttle body to the new unit with the 75mm BBK, stang peaks jumps up to 269.5 HP and 310.0 ft/lbs of torque for a peak-to-peak gain of 10.4 HP and 9.6 ft/lbs of torque.

You should definitely get 3.73s and throw a short shifter in there ...
Diablo Chip - personally wouldn't recommend it if your "Planning on more power adders down the road"

Hope this helps.. goodluck
Old 03-04-2004, 06:53 AM
Silver4.6
3rd Gear Member

crmotorsports.com has awesome prices, and lots of the stuff is free shipping! I personally would have gone with the 75mm tb, but thats just me!
Old 03-04-2004, 03:04 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I already have the diablo chip, 3.73s, flowmasters, and k&N

Putting on the x, headers, underdrives, and other stuff now.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:52 PM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Silver4.6

crmotorsports.com has awesome prices, and lots of the stuff is free shipping! I personally would have gone with the 75mm tb, but thats just me!
Agree. Jayme's that man there!
Old 03-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Snydaleid
2nd Gear Member

If you want to upgrade your clutch I'd do it while you're changing the tranny and installing the long tubes. If you don't you'll have to remove the passenger side header to remove the tranny again. It's much easier to do it once then have to go back in and tear it all apart again. I'd say save yourself the headache and put the clutch in now.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:38 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

If you are installing BBK LT's you should go ahead, & do your clutch swap, because if you don't now, when you need to change your clutch later, the neighboring side of the header will have to be removed, & that will be a PITA.

However, I have to ask...why are you going w/an X-PIPE if you have chambered mufflers?????? Chambered mufflers will not give you edge you should get w/an x-pipe, plus the flowmasters I've heard that have x's, instead of h's sound like sh*t! You need a straight through cat-back to benefit from an x-pipe to the max..
Old 03-05-2004, 02:36 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GSXRIntensity

If you are installing BBK LT's you should go ahead, & do your clutch swap, because if you don't now, when you need to change your clutch later, the neighboring side of the header will have to be removed, & that will be a PITA.

However, I have to ask...why are you going w/an X-PIPE if you have chambered mufflers?????? Chambered mufflers will not give you edge you should get w/an x-pipe, plus the flowmasters I've heard that have x's, instead of h's sound like sh*t! You need a straight through cat-back to benefit from an x-pipe to the max..
Well, i have heard that long tubes/x/flowmasters sound great. In any case, I simply hate every straight thru system I have heard. I dont want my car to sound like "BLAP BLAP". Just my opinion. The few straight thru systems I have heard sound like glasspacks on a bad day.

In any case, the x will pick up more power over the h, and Im not sure I buy the claims of the straight thru people anyways. Unless its more than a 10 hp difference I dont see the point. Conservatively, the flows are giving me at least 5-10 HP. I cannot see a muffler adding yet another 10 or 15 HP to that. What they are saying is that a simple muffler swap will yeild 20 HP?

BTW, anyone have a preference on a clutch? Havent ordered it yet, but it looks to be around 350 bucks for a centerforce. Opinions?????
Old 03-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Snydaleid
2nd Gear Member

I hear Mcleods are good, Centerforce is a great clutch and SPEC. I went with a SPEC stage 2 for my setup. I'm dropping the engine back in this weekend. I hope to be able to give a review about it soon.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:23 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Well, i have heard that long tubes/x/flowmasters sound great. In any case, I simply hate every straight thru system I have heard. I dont want my car to sound like "BLAP BLAP". Just my opinion. The few straight thru systems I have heard sound like glasspacks on a bad day.

In any case, the x will pick up more power over the h, and Im not sure I buy the claims of the straight thru people anyways. Unless its more than a 10 hp difference I dont see the point. Conservatively, the flows are giving me at least 5-10 HP. I cannot see a muffler adding yet another 10 or 15 HP to that. What they are saying is that a simple muffler swap will yeild 20 HP?

BTW, anyone have a preference on a clutch? Havent ordered it yet, but it looks to be around 350 bucks for a centerforce. Opinions?????
What exactly is a "BLAP BLAP?" You hate every straight through system you have heard? I guess you've not heard a Bassani setup from the headers all the way to the cat-back on an '01 Cobra? WOW!!! Conservatively...5-10hp??? lol! More like at most 5hp. And I never said a simple muffler adding 20more hp. You will get 10rwhp from a Magnaflow cat-back vs 3-4rwhp from a Flowmaster cat-back. I saw the dyno sheets on the same car. I dont know why you can't "see" that? Chamberd by it's definition alone means that there are MORE restrictions. Whether that is important to you is your opinion, but the fact is...straight through systems out perform chambered systems. If you like your flowmaster sound paired w/an x-pipe...that is all that matters, & good for you.

Regarding a clutch...The only I have say about that is keep an eye on SPEC's TOB, because A LOT of people I have been complaining about it making noise lately. I would look into Centerforce.

Quick Reply: Bunch of stuff on the way, need some advice