4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Throttle Body and Plenum

Old 03-13-2004, 04:26 PM
Warprunner
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Throttle Body and Plenum

Follow-up

Ok disconnect the ground from the battery for 5-10 min (cigarette time) and went back out and reconnected and started. All lights normal, rev exactly where it should be for a stone cold engine 900 or so, Service Engine Light is out.
Let it warm, rpm at about 6-700, turned on the defroster, engine reved up to 900 then came down to where it should be. Waited about 1 minute, it did it again but again came right back down. Like it was losing pressure and had to regain it.
I think this may be normal and I just didn't bother noticing before I modded the engine. The engine is idling smoothly, it has way more reaction in the gas pedal and I am one happy guy!

I really don't know if this is fixed, but I want to say 100,000,000 Thank YOU's to all those that helped. People may say that there is alot of argueing in this forum, but you all come through for each other in a pinch!!!! I hope I am one that can help someone else in the future!!

Thanks a HELL OF A LOT again!!!! Now on to interior mods...White Faced gauges and wood trim.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:59 PM
jeep45238
I ♥ Acer

What's wrong with gauges that work and an interior that stays put? Keep workin on that motor....
Old 03-13-2004, 05:45 PM
Warprunner
1st Gear Member

Well Jeep, it's like this. Tax returns were good this year and I bought things I thought I would want. I was buying alot for the engine and felt I was neglecting the interior. So I bought Billet switches, wood trim, XM Radio, etc.. One thing that I failed to mention is that I have 3.73 gears that have to go in yet. The problem is that some unexpected bills came in and it will be a while before I can afford an install, unless I can find someone to do it for 2-3 hundred.
So while I am waiting and I have the stuff, thought I would work interior. Plus it's friggen cold yet in Ohio and working the engine in the no heated garage just sucks!
Old 03-13-2004, 07:35 PM
jeep45238
I ♥ Acer

Guess I'm a simpleton, lol. Meat and potatoes for me *shrugs* Long as you're happy with it, tha'ts all that matters, ya know?

I know how it is with Ohio...I live in Cincinnati. I'm in Columbus at OSU right now.......CAN'T THIS DAMNED STATE DECIDE IF IT WANTS TO BE WARM OR COLD!?!??!!?
Old 03-15-2004, 03:39 AM
yellowstang98
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Warprunner

Ok, I installed both....those TPS screws were killer!!!
Everything runs good except... It seems like something kicks in and out alot. Can't put my finger on it. Also the idle is going up and down.
When I took my TPS off the old throttle body, the plastic or rubber insert wasn't there. It does show one on the new one, but they (RPMOUTLET) said it should have come from the old one. Knowing nothing of the TPS, I am thinking I have to order one from FORD at probably 500000 dollars.
Anyone have a clue? I also adjusted the idle and when the idle isn't kicking into high...seems sooooo smooth.
ARGH! Murphy's Law!

Side note...it does run faster..."Seat of the Pants" testing and noticeable especially in throttle response.

2003 GT ... 4.6

Warp
inform me please... you ordered a throttle body and the plenum what about the MAF or is that included in the plenum, how much was it and what all must you order to complete the T/B and MAF upgrade, thanks
Old 03-24-2004, 10:11 PM
Warprunner
1st Gear Member

I don't mean to bring back an old post but I thought I would let everyone know how everything turned out.

I installed the 75 mm Throttle Body and Plenum, had issues with the TPS. Well I had some money tucked to have my 3.73 gears installed so I took it in and my TPS was bad. whether I did it some how or not...it was bad and they fixed it under warranty. Thats a good thing.
Then (if anyone read my other post) I was having problems finding someone to put in the gears. Ford said 800+ dollars. Well I went to Lincoln / Mercury and they said $200!! I gave them the gears and then charged me $320 bucks. They had to get another seal, cone, and synthetic oil. I still think I got a good deal all in all.

The "Stang" runs terrific, faster than it was, and sounds different yet again. When I put the flow masters on, it was one sound, when I put the K&N FIPK on it was a different sound, when I put the TB and Plenum on a third sound, and now that I have it back and everything is fine it sounds different. Not better or worse...just different. Oh well, I am REALLY happy and you all were definitly correct about the 3.73 gears!

So many Thanks to you all again...you guys and girls just don't get that enough from us newbies!
Old 03-24-2004, 10:36 PM
wpix
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Warprunner

Ok, I installed both....those TPS screws were killer!!!
Everything runs good except... It seems like something kicks in and out alot. Can't put my finger on it. Also the idle is going up and down.
When I took my TPS off the old throttle body, the plastic or rubber insert wasn't there. It does show one on the new one, but they (RPMOUTLET) said it should have come from the old one. Knowing nothing of the TPS, I am thinking I have to order one from FORD at probably 500000 dollars.
Anyone have a clue? I also adjusted the idle and when the idle isn't kicking into high...seems sooooo smooth.
ARGH! Murphy's Law!

Side note...it does run faster..."Seat of the Pants" testing and noticeable especially in throttle response.

2003 GT ... 4.6

Warp
There is a coating inside the mouth of the TB that more or less seals the bore door. If that coating is disturbed, you will experience erratic idling.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:29 AM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

Glad to hear everythings OK Warp!!!
Old 03-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Warprunner
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: yellowstang98

inform me please... you ordered a throttle body and the plenum what about the MAF or is that included in the plenum, how much was it and what all must you order to complete the T/B and MAF upgrade, thanks
Nope, didn't come with it. C&L 75mm Throttle Body and an Accufab Plenum and thats it. Well misc seals as well. Got them at rpmoutlet.com for a fairly good deal.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:50 PM
Warprunner
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03BlackSteed

Glad to hear everythings OK Warp!!!
Thanks! And for all those guys that are going to attempt it...it was easy but look what I went through. Just be prepared. I am just way too much Irish and that Murphy's Law follows me EVERYWHERE! HAHAHAH

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throttle Body and Plenum