4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

N20

Old 03-11-2004, 10:48 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default N20

I have a 00 GT (duh). Current mods are (or will be when they get here:

3.73s
C&L MAM trueflow kit (MAM, K&N, Trueflow pipe)
70mm BBK T/B
C&L Plenum
BBK LT headers
BBK O/R X pipe
Flowmasters
Mcleod Clutch
Nitto DRs (soon anyway)

What I really want is a ATI procharger, but since they are about 3500 bucks, and since I just spent 2k (with the new trans), that doesnt look like its going to happen anytime to soon.

Is there anyplace that has detailed information on nitrous? I was thinking somewhere in the 75 HP range. Im nervous though, everyone I know doesnt like it. Questions I have are:

1. Who makes an excellent TOTAL kit, aka a kit that comes with everything?
2. Is the holley Nozzle system worth the 1000 bucks they charge for it?
3. With a 75 HP shot, what are the dangers?
4. How does the cars computer know when you are spraying? Is there something that changes the A/F ratio, so you dont run lean and burn it up? Will I need to install differnt injectors and fuel pump?
5. Whats better, wet or dry? Whats the difference.

Bascially, whats the skinny? I dont want anything that can burn it up (a several thousand dollar engine overhaul would REALLY **** me off) but still want a very noticable difference.

ALSO, when they say such and such HP shot, I'm assuming that is to the flywheel?

Thanks for any information
Old 03-12-2004, 12:15 AM
N2OJunkie
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: N20

Q1. Who makes an excellent TOTAL kit, aka a kit that comes with everything?
A. NOS, NEX, Holley, NitrousWorks etc et, all excellent

Q2.Is the holley Nozzle system worth the 1000 bucks they charge for it?
A. Is worth it, but a litlle overkill for street use.

Q3. With a 75 HP shot, what are the dangers?
A. No danger at all up to 125 HP on a modular engine (like ours)..Above that you need to start thinking about changing internals , intake and upgrading your fuel pump.

Q4. How does the cars computer know when you are spraying? Is there something that changes the A/F ratio, so you dont run lean and burn it up? Will I need to install differnt injectors and fuel pump?
A. Nothing changing the A/F ratio. Follow the kit instructions. The kits come with diff Fuel and Nitrous jet sizes already fool proven.. Up to 125 HP shot (see above) your stock fuel pump will handle it well . To be on the safe side buy and install a dual A-pillar pod then install Fuel and Nitrous fuel gauges. By factory setup your fuel pressure on accel (and WOT) will go up to 40 PSI , the min press needed is 38psi again up to a 125 HP shot. Also you need to retard the timing -2 degrees (steeda timing retard kit or use a chip to retard it when you push the pedal to the metal (WOT), thats when the nitrous fumes and fuel will be injected into the intake. Also get a 1 degree colder spark plugs to avoid detonation..
Q5. Whats better, wet or dry? Whats the difference.
Wet is better. It comes with the nossle "Y" shaped sprayer that goes installed on your Intake tube or CAI..One leg of the "Y" is for fuel, the other for Nitrous..The dry kit just inject the nitrous alone into the intake and then you hope that the necesary proportional amount of fuel is injected (avoiding running lean which menas more oxygen than fuel)as ordered by the ECC and pump (more unreliable)...

PS: whoever told you Nitrous is not good is an ignorant and had never used it.....go for it..good luck..
Old 03-12-2004, 01:13 AM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

N20 pretty much told you everything you need to know. I do want to add that a window switch for the nitrous is essential for added safety. Mine kicks the nitrous on at 3400 rpms, and cuts it off at I think 6K...Just in case you hit the rev limiter. In those cars, the rev limiter is a fuel cut off, and you will see a giant fireworks show just pumping nitrous in with no fuel.

I've driven a supercharged 4.6, and don't get me wrong...It's awesome. But man let me tell you, When you jump on it, and the nitrous kicks in...The car takes off like a semi rear ended you at 80 mph!! It's by far the coolest feeling in the world. I can't say enough about it. It's just amazing. I can't explain any better then that. It's like taking that hit of crack. You just can't stop. It's SOOOOOO cool.

Where do you live? If you're close, I'll let you take mine for a spin. I promise you, you'll stop and buy a kit on your way home.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:36 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I live in missouri, and am often in IL. I would guess not where you are hehe. Doesnt seem to be many late models with any HP running around here.

Thanks for all of the information.

BTW can I just send in my Diablo chip to a dealer and have them program in the timing?

Curse this area, not a single good tuner shop for hundereds of miles
Old 03-12-2004, 07:42 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

I too am interested in n2o, dont wanna hijack the thread, but what are the legality issues (if any) with using it on the street?
Old 03-12-2004, 11:54 PM
N2OJunkie
I ♥ Acer

I am glad I was of some help...........that was my last "help" post........Agree with sidewyas, I've driven a friends car that is getting 12 PSI of boost (Turbo) plus a 100 HP shot and man, kick ***!!!...For MArk 99 GT, no legality issues , Nitrous is as legal as installing a SC or turbo in your car... No hazardous material or any other issues. I recommend not abusing it though....and I dont mean by sniffing it **LOL**Good luck guys..
Old 03-13-2004, 02:03 PM
99 cobra
2nd Gear Member

i wouldn't use nitrous on the streets. Your risking hurting yourself or anyone else if you loose control or something. Best way is use nitrous on the strip.

99 cobra
Old 03-13-2004, 03:22 PM
jeep45238
I ♥ Acer

Actually, it is illegal in most areas to have a nitrous system capable of being fired (AKA, the bottle hooked up and the valve capable of being turned).

If you toss it in your trunk, remote opener, and get pulled over, I wouldn't worry about it. Most cops don't even think to ask about it.

I know a guy with a Maxima with it back home (dumbass set it on 100 the first shot instead of wheening the motor in.....now he's a lot more careful, lol). In all honesty....just leave it unhooked (as in...in your passenger seat) till you get to the track, then have some fun.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:44 PM
aaron_b_b
2nd Gear Member

What's the deal guys,

I am also very interested in NX nitrous system and wanted to do 150 shot with a very good tune. Here in Houston we have a shop called Strictly Performance- a hell of a mustang shop. I want to get to about 270 rwhp NA w/all bolt ons like c&l upper plenum 75 mm Tb, steeda pulleys, 80mm mass air w/ true flow intake, and some timing. Ohhh, and I already have a bassani off road X and magnaflows. This is where the 150 shot comes in. I've heard that 150 is safe if you get a good tune.. Plus, this is not my daily driver so I won't be spraying very often. Would this be possible with out blowing my internals? Recommend?