4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Driveline Slack

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 12:33 AM
suzukidragracer
2nd Gear Member

Default Driveline Slack

My '02 GT Coupe seems to have a little too much driveline slack.

It has 70k miles and I know that it has recently installed aftermarket clutch, although I'm not sure which. I think it's a King Cobra because the peddle effort is maybe 20% stiffer than stock, not alot, and it seems to grab well, better than I think a stocker would.

Anyway, it seems to have a little too much driveline slack, not dangerously loose but enough to notice.

I've heard of people saying that the driveshaft can become loose or maybe the u-joints.

Any ideas on what could be causing this and any reasonably quick ways to check it?

Thanks,
Vince
Old 04-12-2006, 12:49 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Default RE: Driveline Slack

is driveline slack waht causes the car (usually in 3rd 4th and 5th) to chunk or clunk back and forth if youre not high enough in the rpm range and give it too much throttle?
Old 04-12-2006, 12:54 AM
Sick96Stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: suzukidragracer

My '02 GT Coupe seems to have a little too much driveline slack.

It has 70k miles and I know that it has recently installed aftermarket clutch, although I'm not sure which. I think it's a King Cobra because the peddle effort is maybe 20% stiffer than stock, not alot, and it seems to grab well, better than I think a stocker would.

Anyway, it seems to have a little too much driveline slack, not dangerously loose but enough to notice.

I've heard of people saying that the driveshaft can become loose or maybe the u-joints.

Any ideas on what could be causing this and any reasonably quick ways to check it?

Thanks,
Vince
What signs you are noticing to lead you to believe you have to much drivetrain slack? I'm not quite sure what exactly you are talking about by drivetrain slack either. Do u think your driveshaft isnt properly in place? Only ways I could see something with the drivetrain is if they didn't properly bolt your transmission back up which I doubt it is because you would definitely notice if that was the case, or if maybe your driveshaft bolts arent tightend down all the way? I would get under your car and try and shake your driveshaft back and forth see if you have any play and check the bolts make sure everything is tightend down ok. Also check the u-joints and make sure they are bolted down properly.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:59 AM
suzukidragracer
2nd Gear Member

I don't think so, but my car does do that every once in a while......under 2k rpm and heavy throttle, usually in higher gears.....I know lugging the engine is not good, but it still shouldn't do this!

For that I would suggest and I am going to: check and replace the sparkplugs, and maybe the wires (i think mine are still the stockers!), replace the fuel filter.

BUT, the DRIVELINE SLACK I was refering to occurs when you are on and off the throttle and the car bucks. You can clearly feel it through the clutch and gas peddles as slack somewhere in the transmission/driveshaft/u-joints/rearend.

Vince

Maybe it's just this crappy TR3650.......
Old 04-12-2006, 01:03 AM
suzukidragracer
2nd Gear Member

I just have driven alot of manual transmission cars and this one seems to have too much play in the driveline.

I'm guessing it is either a loose driveshaft or u-joints......maybe a loose transmission mount (seems if it were a broken one I should be able to tell that something is WRONG, not just out of adjustment)

Or like I said, just the TR3650 has high tolerances and is loosey goosey.....

Vince
Old 04-12-2006, 01:05 AM
dan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

is driveline slack waht causes the car (usually in 3rd 4th and 5th) to chunk or clunk back and forth if youre not high enough in the rpm range and give it too much throttle?
i think so.. because i get that... in every gear at low rpm's if i take my foot off the gas quickly without hitting the clutch.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:11 AM
Sick96Stang
2nd Gear Member

I just have driven alot of manual transmission cars and this one seems to have too much play in the driveline.

I'm guessing it is either a loose driveshaft or u-joints......maybe a loose transmission mount (seems if it were a broken one I should be able to tell that something is WRONG, not just out of adjustment)

Or like I said, just the TR3650 has high tolerances and is loosey goosey.....

Vince
Hmmm yea there really isnt to much to the driveline only things that can affect it are your transmission and driveshaft. I dont even think it would be u-joints they really dont affect your driveline. My suggestion would be to just get under the car and make sure the driveshaft bolts are tightend down good. You could also check all the bolts that hold your transmission in place and make sure they are all tightend down nice and snug as well. I have a T-45 and I've driven numerous 3650's only difference I notice between the two is the 3650's shift gates are much much closer together.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:16 AM
suzukidragracer
2nd Gear Member

only difference I notice between the two is the 3650's shift gates are much much closer together
Really? That is interesting to know.

Thanks and I will check my driveshaft and tranny mounts!

Vince
Old 04-12-2006, 01:18 AM
Sick96Stang
2nd Gear Member

only difference I notice between the two is the 3650's shift gates are much much closer together
Really? That is interesting to know.

Thanks and I will check my driveshaft and tranny mounts!

Vince

Cool let me know how it goes, if u still have problems let me know and I will try and think of anything else that it could possible be.