4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

HOW TO: CHANGING SPARK PLUGS 99-04

Old 04-19-2006, 12:22 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default HOW TO: CHANGING SPARK PLUGS 99-04

This write up was done by mself52...

If you guys are like me when you look at the engine when your about to change the spark plugs it looks very intimidating and looks hard... but in reality its very simple and takes bout an hour to 90 mins to change them with the right tools and a little direction... so i figured id do a write up for you guys....

to start with you DO NOT have to remove the fuel rail.... the only thing that you need to remove is the air intake from the throttle body...this is so you can get to the number 3 plug that is right under it...

tools needed include:
1) 5/8" spark plug socket
2) 6" extension
3) 9/32" socket
4) small tube of anti seize

now here is a picture with what you will actually be removing

you remove that small 9/32" bolt and that allows you to pull the coil from the plug hole it might be stuck good so just wiggle it around and pull but it will pop out...the only plug that you need to unhook the harness from the coil is on the number 4 plug which is on the passenger side at the back next to the firewall....its too much of an angle to bend the coil and get it back in without unhooking the harness...

after removing the coil this is what it looks like

and this is where the spark plug is

now before removing the spark plug if you look inside the hole there will be alot of debris that you should blow out with either canned air or a air compressor....

now that the plug is out take your new plug and put a few dabs of anti seize on the threads and smear it on all the threads... then wipe the excess off with a towel... now put the new plug in... hand tighten it and then snug it but DO NOT over tighten it because this is aluminum and will strip if you try and torque it too much... just snug it and then a slight bit tighter

now put the end of the coil back in the hole and wiggle it around while pressing down untill it is back in place and the bolt hole should line up and you put the bolt back in....

repeat on all plugs....

TIPS:
if you remove any of the fuel injector harness please becareful there is a little red gasket inside each plug so if it falls out make sure you put it back in before moving on.... and on the number 4 plug do yourself a favor and remove the coil plug and the fuel injector plug to give you room and so that when you goto put the coil back in over the plug you can manevuer it back in....

hope this helps and good luck
Old 08-25-2011, 11:56 PM
poptartsluke

thanks man. saved me a bunch of cash and was actually really easy. I dont know why other directions tell you to remove fuel rails, there is absolutely no reason to do that extra work. Much appreciated.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:36 PM
MrTDR04
1st Gear Member

Great post but you should have shown them 4th and 8th cylinder. Those are the challenging 2.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:37 PM
mteberle

Default Changing Spark Plugs 99-04

Do you have to remove the fuel rails to get to the other plugs?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:17 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by mteberle
Do you have to remove the fuel rails to get to the other plugs?
Paragraph two from the above post:

to start with you DO NOT have to remove the fuel rail.... the only thing that you need to remove is the air intake from the throttle body...this is so you can get to the number 3 plug that is right under it...
[emphasis added]

Also, as you may have noticed this is an 5-year old "how-to", "...just snug it and then a slight bit tighter." is about the worst advice one could give for an engine known to spit out improperly installed plugs resulting in $100 to $800 repairs.

Get a 1/4" drive torque wrench and torque the plugs to 11-13 lbft. If you absolutely have to make them hand tight plus another 1/16th of a turn...
Old 10-27-2011, 12:50 AM
mteberle

Sorry, I got to looking at the pictures and missed that line. I do have a torque wrench and will definitely use it.

I would like to be able to monitor my cylinder head temperature. I've seen thermocouples designed for this purpose that look like a ring lug which fits over the spark plug threads. Could such a device be used on this engine? My concern is that with the lead wires coming up out of the hole that the coil wouldn't fit. I don't really want to spend $40 on one and then it not work.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-27-2011, 03:00 AM
caaraa
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys,good site.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:08 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by mteberle
Sorry, I got to looking at the pictures and missed that line. I do have a torque wrench and will definitely use it.

I would like to be able to monitor my cylinder head temperature. I've seen thermocouples designed for this purpose that look like a ring lug which fits over the spark plug threads. Could such a device be used on this engine? My concern is that with the lead wires coming up out of the hole that the coil wouldn't fit. I don't really want to spend $40 on one and then it not work.

Thanks,

Mike
That sort of thermocouple ring sensor should NEVER be used with tapered seat plugs, making the wiring issue moot...

Last edited by cliffyk; 10-28-2011 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:26 AM
kingrukus
2nd Gear Member

is it advisable to use anti-sieze? the reason I ask is because it will probably mess-up the torque readings on my torque wrench when tightening, ultimately allowing me to over-torque.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:12 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kingrukus
is it advisable to use anti-sieze? the reason I ask is because it will probably mess-up the torque readings on my torque wrench when tightening, ultimately allowing me to over-torque.
Oh yeah, anti sieze is a must on any spark plug. And LOL at torque wrench. I know a lot of people use them, but on spark plugs, I just crank em down till they are tight.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW TO: CHANGING SPARK PLUGS 99-04