4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Flowmaster or Slowmaster???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 04:48 AM
Black98Cobra00

Default Flowmaster or Slowmaster???

I`ve heard several things about Flowmaster actually decreasing hp. In my opinion, theres is no such car that sounds better than a 4.6 with Flowmaster, but does it give you a decent hp gain? If not what would? MAC, Borla, Bassani, Hooker, Magnaflow, Dynomax, ect........??? Im really just lookin for the best hp gain over sound!
Old 03-21-2004, 05:05 AM
Yllw4.6

Default RE: Flowmaster or Slowmaster???

i have flowmasters and they sound great as for performance you need a h pipe or x pipe to fully utilze the catback
Old 03-21-2004, 06:50 AM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

Whoever told you that flowmasters decrease horsepower is an idiot. I agree with you when u said that nothing sounds better than a 4.6 with flowmasters it does sound awesome. If you are going for performance though the best would be borla but maganflow is cheaper and will give u better performance then flowmasters. No catback is gonna give u real noticable gains though. Like yllw said if u want to feel any difference at all you are gonna need to get a high flow or off road h or x pipe.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:53 AM
yellow4.6
2nd Gear Member

IMO it's worth it just for the sound. It certainly won't loose power. There are lots of good pipes out there to choose from. Anything will sound better than the stock, which are way too quiet. Here's a funny story for ya: the first time I drove a Stock GT I thought there was something wrong with it- it never sounded like ALL the other GT's around here. That is how common aftermarket pipes are around here. Ignorance is bliss.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:24 AM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

I personally am not a fan of flowmasters. When they have a tinny sound which i don't care for. When you couple that with a X-pipe it becomes even more noticable. H-pipe don't sound that bad with the flowmasters.
I run a magnaflow x-pipe catted and there magnapac system and it's loud, over 95dB outside, but not intrusive inside the car like flowmasters and spinechs are. I really really like the sound. It turns alot of heads. I feel that maganflow makes a better system then flowmaster in terms of quality. i have seen and heard to many times what flowmasters sound like when they loose a baffle [:'(]. If flowmasters are a must then I would recommend spin techs. Actually don't sound half bad and are quite loud. But not good enough to make me give up my Magnaflow, not even close.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:12 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I HAD Magnaflows on my car, they sounded absolutely amazing and it turned heads like you wouldn't believe.

Unfortunetly I had trouble with cops (my fault anyways) and I had to take them off. I chose Flowmasters as they are quieter...

They sound pretty cool (I miss my Magnaflows), but at 2,000 RPM it is impossible to talk to my passengers.

Now that I have had stock Mufflers, Magnaflows & Flowmasters I can say this:

Magnaflow is LOUD, you can sound stock if you drive it just right, top-end pull is great

Stock, cool sound for stock mufflers, but boring and obviously restrictive.

Flowmasters sound cool, but I felt absolutely no difference and my car still feels like a dog with it's top-end power.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:39 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

a buddy of mine has an offroad x pipe with flowmaster super40's and it was louder than the guy with the same x pipe but with magnaflows
Old 03-21-2004, 09:03 PM
mabguru
2nd Gear Member

I have flows and I love them. Recieve nothing but compliments.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:02 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

Borla/Basani/Magnaflow are all the same in terms of performance +/- 1rwhp. What is important between them is the sound preference, & your pocket.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:44 PM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

Slowmasters won't make you loose Hp, whoever said that is a jackass! Slowmasters will not give you any noticiable performance gains, they just sound better than the stocks...so they say. I myself do not like the tin can sound and went with the Catted Magnaflow X-pipe and Magnaflow cat-back. I love the sound, esp when you get on it! I too have alot of heads turning but it was the dyno proven performance I was after.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster or Slowmaster???